Windows 10: Faster folder access, please

Discus and support Faster folder access, please in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello I have discovered that one thing that makes Windows 10 feel slower to me than e.g. Windows 7 is the fact that Windows shows an hourglass (i.e.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ugcheleuce, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Faster folder access, please

Hello

I have discovered that one thing that makes Windows 10 feel slower to me than e.g. Windows 7 is the fact that Windows shows an hourglass (i.e. that round blue thingie) for about 0.5 to 1 second every time I move into or out of a folder. This means that if I work on a folder tree, it takes a lot of waiting before I reach the innermost folder.

I'm sure entering a folder after double clicking it (or single clicking and pressing Enter) was instantaneous on Windows 7, so why the wait on Windows 10? Moving up in the folder tree (by clicking that "folder up" button in Explorer) also shows the hourglass and the delay. These aren't large folders with weird files in them.

At first I thought it might be Windows Search, but I disabled that and the problem remains. Completely exiting both Malwarebytes and Kaspersky antivirus also has no effect -- the delay remains.

What else is there?

For some reason, opening a folder directly from the Desktop does not have the hourglass delay, but all folders further down the tree do have the delay. (There is a slight delay when opening a folder directly from the Desktop, and it remains even if I disable minimize/maximise animation, but the cursor doesn't show an hourglass, so it is not an hourglass type of delay.)

I have a reasonably fast computer (Ryzen 5) with a reasonably fast drive (M.2).

Thanks
    Samuel

:)

ugcheleuce, Oct 14, 2019
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Faster folder access, please :)

Frogger, Oct 14, 2019
  4. Faster folder access, please

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 14, 2019
Thema:

Faster folder access, please

1. Faster folder access, please - Similar Threads - Faster folder access

2. Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Access: Sorry if this post is long-winded, it's difficult to explain briefly. We have some old software written in vb6. It creates a folder under the user's Documents folder (by default) and copies files into it from an install folder (it's done like that so the user can locate the...
  3. folder access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder access: Hi, I have a problem....I added an SSD drive to my laptop and tried to redirect the location where the DesKtop, Downloads and music folders are stored to the hard drive, but somehow ended up merging the three folders together. Now anything I add to one of these folders...
  4. accessing a folder

accessing a folder: i have windows 10 64 bit os i am trying to access a folder that i had access to before but when i click on it i get a message that access is denied. that the folder is not accessible when i go to the security tab it says i must have read permission to view the properties of...
  5. Folder access

Folder access: Good Day I am having an issue with a laptop where it will log into the server folders with no issues then all of a sudden it wont allow you in certain folders, there is no error messages as well....
  6. please make my computer faster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    please make my computer faster: please make my computer faster https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/please-make-my-computer-faster/af22c3fe-3f8d-428d-8393-9ed9633fad77
  7. Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please: Hello, Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?...
  8. Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help.

Problem accessing Shared Folder from XP. Please Help.: Running Win 10 Anniversary Update on my Desktop, and on my Tablet. Running XP on my Notebook. I can access a shared folder on the XP notebook from the Desktop and the Tablet. I can access the shared folder on the Desktop from the Tablet, and the shared folder on the...
  9. PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE Add Recent Folders Back To Quick Access: Sweet baby Jesus, Windows, can you please stop removing "Recent Folders" from the Quick Access?! This is hands down one of the most essential and frequently used functions for your users. I had found a way to add it back through a registry change and this morning's update...
  10. Get your work done faster with Quick access

in Windows 10 News
    Get your work done faster with Quick access: More and more of our users are storing their files in more and more places. Whether that’s in cloud locations like OneDrive and Dropbox at home, or across network shares, OneDrive for Business, and SharePoint at work, the problems introduced are the same – it gets harder to...