Windows 10: FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up

Discus and support FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! I am freaking out a bit.. My laptop took a tumble and the harddrive skipped (or something), leading me to have to back up my files and restart to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by marissaassiram, Feb 2, 2020.

1. FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up

Hi! I am freaking out a bit.. My laptop took a tumble and the harddrive skipped (or something), leading me to have to back up my files and restart to factory settings. The blue screen lead me to the back up, but my flash drive was required to format to NTFS from FAT32 per the prompts when I attempted my back up.

I formatted, wiping the flash drive. I then backed up on my computer and was able to complete the action, which lead me to believe the format happened properly because I wasn't able to complete the back up prior to the formatting.

Side note.. My laptop is Windows 10 Home and the other computers at my house and work are Mac, so my father brought his windows laptop to my work so I could format. Then he left... So I wasn't able to put the flash drive on a windows computer to make sure the transfer happened properly.

I followed all of the prompts and waited while the back up did it's job. then I ejected my flash drive and reset to factory settings.

NOWWWW... I put the flash drive into my laptop after all was reset. it's format is back to FAT32 and the drive folder is empty!!! Not sure what could have happened, but I lost everything, right? Can anyone tell me how this happened?

I downloaded AOEMI to format back to NTFS without losing data, but still nothing.

Thank you!
    Marissa

:)

marissaassiram, Feb 2, 2020
  2. akaynot Win User

Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?

Sirs,

I have an old pc and Bios ( non UEFI) .

i formatted NTFS the 8GB usb flash drive,

then found the Recovery drive creator by opening Control Panel (Windows key + X)

Open Recovery

Click Create Recovery drive , flash usb drive inserted , box labeled "Back up system files to the recovery drive" checked, then i clicked next to start process of creating recovery drive. When creation
    was completed ,i checked content of the created Flash recovery drive and was formatted FAT32. I am confused, i thought that ,for my PC with an old Bios, recovery drive should have been formatted NTFS ( as my inizial format with empty usb flash drive)
    not FAT32( changed to fat 32 during recovery creation) . Can someone tell me if Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive will work with FAT32 or do i need to reconvert it in NTFS ?

thank you for your help.

Antonio

akaynot, Feb 2, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

Hi Clifford

Yes, a Flash drive can be formatted as FAT32, NTFS or xFAT

While Windows may be installed on a hard drive formatted to NTFS, you can still use a Flash Drive formatted to either FAT32, NTFS or xFAT in that Windows system . . .

The format you choose for your Flash Drive depends on what you are using the drive for, if say you want that to work in other devices like TV's or car stereos and you are adding files smaller than 4GB (each) in size, then FAT32 is the best format

If you will only be using that Flash Drive in PC's and may need to add files larger than 4GB (each) then NTFS is the best format . . .

DaveM121, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Ken Blake Win User

FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up

Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

Yes. Windows 10, regardless of whether it itself is installed on an NTFS or FAT32 drive, is compatible with NTFS, FAT32, and FAT16 drives, whether they are flash drives, internal hard drives, external hard drives, SSDs, etc.

Ken Blake, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up

1. FAT32 to NTFS Flash Drive error? Flash Drive is empty after back up - Similar Threads - FAT32 NTFS Flash

2. How to Fix Flash drive after format NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Fix Flash drive after format NTFS: sorry poor english so I use my flashdrive as bootable windows10 installer. I googled how to unboot it and they said to format and I saw they format in NTFS and it also my default so I didn't change itbut after that I can't use my flash drive anymore. everytime I insert they...
  3. How to Fix Flash drive after format NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Flash drive after format NTFS: sorry poor english so I use my flashdrive as bootable windows10 installer. I googled how to unboot it and they said to format and I saw they format in NTFS and it also my default so I didn't change itbut after that I can't use my flash drive anymore. everytime I insert they...
  4. How to Fix Flash drive after format NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  6. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  7. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  9. Back up to USB Flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Back up to USB Flash drive: When backing up my laptop I use the Windows 7 back up procedure in control panel to create a system image to a usb hard drive. I recently advised my mate that he should do the same with his laptop so he purchased a 256gb USB flash drive. When we attempt to do the back up of...
  10. Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?: Sirs, I have an old pc and Bios ( non UEFI) . i formatted NTFS the 8GB usb flash drive, then found the Recovery drive creator by opening Control Panel (Windows key + X) Open Recovery Click Create Recovery drive , flash usb drive inserted , box labeled "Back up...