Windows 10: Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup

Discus and support Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I tried to change my default user profile in Windows 10 and rename it. Now it has corrupted the ntuser.dat file, and when I try sign in with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MichaelSWright1979, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup

Hello, I tried to change my default user profile in Windows 10 and rename it. Now it has corrupted the ntuser.dat file, and when I try sign in with my password, it immediately signs me back out.

I did do a registry backup beforehand, and would like to now restore this, but I cannot recall what I labelled it. How do I locate it?

Please help.

:)

MichaelSWright1979, Sep 4, 2019
  2. JGENT Win User

Adding new user problems

Yes Done, several times

JGENT, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Steve C Win User
    Adding new user problems

You might have a corrupted default user profile or a corrupt version of ntuser.dat in that profile which is used to configure a new account. I fixed a similar problem by replacing the deafult user profile from the ISO disk of the same version of Windows you are using. See my post 8 at Corrupt NTUSER.DAT file in Default Folder

Also, run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt.

Steve C, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup

How do I reset the "Most used" list.

UserAssist appears to be a binary repository where recently used apps and files are stored but does not contain the settings or list of apps that are shown in the "Most Used" list.

I just tested a workaround: I created a new user profile and everything worked. This tells me the problem is in the user profile files ntuser.dat and (system.dat?). You could back up your system. Backup ntuser.dat and that other dat file in your user
    profile (uncheck "Hide protected operating system files") in folder options first. create a new profile with admin rights and switch user to access it and then delete or move your dat files. when you log back in your entire profile will be reset to default.
    you could also remove your hard drive and access it from another computer. I'm going to test my theory by booting from BartPE and making the change.

I just moved the following files to my D: drive:

SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.dat.LOG1

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.dat.LOG2

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TM.blf

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\NTUSER.DAT{62e13464-7ee5-11e5-80c4-a4badb40df56}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

A SH D:\ntuser - myaccount\ntuser.ini

Login was like logging in for the first time to windows. Also my tiles were a bit messed up. Got a message that I would have a temporary profile and that all changes would be deleted after I logged off. Every time I start I get that message. Probably
    need to reset / recreate the profile with an ms approved tool or method.

PaulCofrancesco, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup

1. Fault with ntuser.dat file for default user profile. Need to fix and restore backup - Similar Threads - Fault ntuser dat

2. How to restore the default user profile picture?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore the default user profile picture?: How to restore the default user profile picture? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-default-user-profile-picture/73a74f11-b1ce-43fd-986d-d91c35a4e33a
  3. How to restore the default user profile picture?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore the default user profile picture?: How to restore the default user profile picture? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-default-user-profile-picture/73a74f11-b1ce-43fd-986d-d91c35a4e33a
  4. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  5. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  6. Restore my User Profile as default in Window 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore my User Profile as default in Window 10: I'm using Windows 10-64 on an HP laptop - Suddenly today, 5/26/2021, my "User" profile disappeared - I can still see my profile WINDOWSC:>USERS - but my computer now acts like a brand new computer waiting to be set up. How do I restore myself as the "Default User" ? How do I...
  7. what is the "ntuser" file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what is the "ntuser" file?: just wondering what the heck "ntuser" is? I found this when looking through a section in my files. the file is un-openable , and doesn't appear to have any negative affects but I just wanted to know what is or if I need to remove it....
  8. User file restore to default issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User file restore to default issue: I'm frustrated with Onedrive. I don't like it except for my university account because I get a lot of free GB. So I was able to restore my desktop and documents files back to their original location, but I'm unable to get my pictures to restore. Here are some screen shots of...
  9. User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile: recently on 18-8-2020 my pc updated automatically . after the upate as i logged in my laptop .... it was as if i bought a new computer and there were no files in my desktop and other folders. when went in The Pc- Users- {My Main Account Username } i found all my files in...
  10. Default user profile startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default user profile startup: I added a user profile for my wife to my PC, but for some reason the PC always boots tmher profile and Imhave to sign myself in. Is there a way t make my profile the default. Have removed the need for login with netplwiz. thanks UPDATE found the answer in netplwiz just had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. permissions NTUSER.DAT in C:\Users\Default

2. restore default ntuser.dat