Windows 10: Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Discus and support Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arese, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Arese Win User

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Hey everyone,

I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of.

Asus p7p55d pro
    Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz
    2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel
    Nvidia GT 1030

Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in the past.
    It happened while I was (legally) downloading large files using Utorrent.

1st crash: PC frozen on a dark screen
    2nd crash: frozen screen in Utorrent with red artefacts located in the upper left of the screen.

May or may not be related but 2 days ago while watching a video I've noticed artefacts in the video.

At this point I was thinking my new Nvidia GT1030 was faulty. I ran a 3D OCCT test and it didn't return any error or artefacts on the screen. I also monitored the GPU temp as often artefacts are caused by the GPU overheating but the GPU wouldn't go above 55 degrees Celsius.

I then ran a memtest with by 2 RAMs in and bingo heaps of errors as illustrated below

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel [​IMG]

Then to determine which RAM was faulty I removed 1 DIMM and ran the test. 0 Errors, ok must be the other DIMM which is faulty. I swap the DIMMS and run the test and it returns 0 errors

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel [​IMG]

How do you explain that I get errors when the 2 DIMMS are in but when used in a single channel they are working fine?

Thanks

:)

Arese, Apr 15, 2020
  2. AddRAM Win User

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Dual channel is always better then single.

RAM Performance Benchmark: Single-Channel vs. Dual-Channel - Does It Matter? | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds Hardware Benchmarks

Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? - The NUC Blog

What's your memory assessment speed? - Windows 7 Help Forums

As others have said, it`s all in your head, the only way to prove it is to run winsat mem with 1 stick in single channel then 2 sticks in dual channel.

As far as booting from a usb stick, you have to choose it in the one time boot menu (not the bios) unless you go into the bios and list usb as the first boot option (you do not want to do that)

My settings

1) DVD drive
    2) Boot drive
    3) Disable
    4) Disable

etc
    etc
    etc

Any time you want to deviate just use the boot menu, as mentioned Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel :)

For example, If you want to boot into a Linux distro on a flash drive, just follow the above rule.

AddRAM, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Dual Channel and Flex mode

I would like to know how dual channel and flex mode works. I think I do but need some clarifications please.

I have 1x 4gb DDR3 and 1x 8gb DDR3 totally 12gb. So, CPUID says they are running in dual channel mode.

My questions are as following:

Q1) 1x 4gb + 0.5x 8gb are running in dual channel; and remaining 4gb is running in flex mode. Is that correct?

Q2) If I consume over 8gb of ram then what happens?

a) 4+4 gb will be running in dual channel, and remaining 4gb running in single channel mode? Or,

b) the entire 12gb will be running in single channel mode?

Q3. Any difference whether I place my ram back or front? For example, 8gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 2; or reverse 4gb in front and 8gb in slot 2?

Thanks

Presentelaw, Apr 15, 2020
  4. tomba2k Win User

use triple channel memory as dual channel?

sorry, didnt understood question fully.
    anyway, RAM ISN'T DUAL or TRIPLE channel, RAM is RAM!
    only board or cpu can have dual or triple memory controller.
    so, use any ddr ram on any ddr board that support that module's speed and type (ddr2/3, ecc/non-ecc).

either way, you cant run any number on any modules on any ram simultaneously in single and dual and/or triple channel.

if you have modules to qualify for triple channel, your are running on triple channel.
    if not, -II-, on double channel.
    if not, -II-, on single channel.
    so, all modules on same board are running on same channel type!
    no single channel and double, or single and triple, or double and triple channel combo is possible on normal board.

tomba2k, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel - Similar Threads - Faulty Memory RAMs

2. Windows not working with single channel 8 gb ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not working with single channel 8 gb ram: For context, I have a laptop whose 2nd ram slot doesn't post and the maximum ram supported by the laptop is 8 gb, in order to achieve 8 gb ram for my laptop.When I install the 8 gb stick into my laptop, Windows gives the following BSOD errors randomly not in order:• bad pool...
  3. RAM channel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM channel: Hello! I have upgraded my RAM from 4gb single channel to 2x8. Today I checked cpu-z and it showed that my RAM sticks are running on single channel, but in task manager i see that 2 from 2 RAM slots are being used and i have 16gb of rams. Is it supposed to be like that or...
  4. single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3: I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800, 2 slots both used Toshiba: DDR3 Dual channel PC3-10700 2 slots one used I'm confused so please correct me if I am making...
  5. Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop: I have a new Dell Vostro 5590 i7 10510U laptop with 8GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Mhz and a NVidia MX250 GPU with 2GB. Win10 Pro. NVMe SSD. The RAM is running in single channel currently. There is an available RAM slot that can be used to increase RAM. If I add another 8GB “stick’’ of...
  6. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  7. BSOD Dual Channel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Dual Channel.: I only got BSOD's when i'm using both of my memories, and they are the same. I tested one stick at a time, and got no BSOD. Ryzen 2200G Prime A320M-K/BR Corsair Vengeance 2X4 GB 2400MHZ HD 1 TB Seagate 117629
  8. Dual Channel Mode

Dual Channel Mode: What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight simulation program that is just now in Early Access! This and World of Warships are basically the only games I play. Flight Sim...
  9. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?: Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct? Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake...
  10. Ram: Dual Channel & Volt

Ram: Dual Channel & Volt: So I am thinking about buying a 8 GB RAM for my laptop. I have a few question about RAM regarding volts and dual channel. #1 My current ram shows it is running at 1.5 V. Can I put it a 1.35 V ram instead? #2 When I put the 2x4 RAM in my laptop, will it dectect that I...