Windows 10: Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover

Discus and support Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Sony Vaio all-in-one desktop running Win 10. I have suddenly experienced boot problems with the dreaded blue screen on several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BigBlueBike, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio all-in-one desktop running Win 10.

I have suddenly experienced boot problems with the dreaded blue screen on several occasions - one of which gave KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR and now I simply get the black screen with "operating system not found".

I was able to actually get it working a few more times and created a recovery disk (or so I thought) before it finally stopped for good.

I'm pretty sure my HDD is toast, but could really do with salvaging some photos and some saved logins for various websites.

I have downloaded onto a USB the means to repair but still not getting anywhere. I can boot from the USB and get the option of Install Now, plus Repair in the bottom corner.

As I'm pretty sure I will lose all my data if I select Install Now (but haven't followed that path yet) so select Repair, which gives "Troubleshoot" or "Turn Off" as options.

Selecting troubleshoot gives the following options and results when selected -

Start up repair - "Start up repair couldn't repair your PC"

Uninstall Updates (either of the 2 options, feature or quality) - "We ran into a problem and wont be able to uninstall..."

System Restore - "To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart, select OS, then select system restore".

System Image Recovery - "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer".

The only option I have is the Command Prompt and trying the following results in -

wmic logicaldisk get name displays C: D: and X:

Volume in drive C is ESD-USB

Volume in drive X is Boot

dir d: the device is not ready

With my limited knowledge, but willingness to try, is there anything else I can try to resolve this problem?

Like I said, recovering photos is my main goal, I have written off the chances of repairing this PC unless someone knows how to perform a miracle?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

:)

BigBlueBike, Jul 2, 2019
  2. Steve C Win User

Windows 10 Advanced Options Menu to Repair

I would try the following steps in order:

1. Remove the laptop main battery for a few minutes - may reset something
    2. Load BIOS defaults
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free on another PC, create a Reflect USB repair disk then use that disk to repair your laptop
    4. Recover from backup if you have one
    5. Perform a Windows 10 repair install - see instructions on this forum

Steve C, Jul 2, 2019
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Recover access database

Did you try this yet? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283849

Run the Compact and Repair utility. To do so, follow these steps:
    • If the database is open, close it.
    • On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Compact and Repair Database.
    • In the Database to Compact From dialog box, select the file that you want to compact, and then click Compact.
    • In the Compact Database Into dialog box, enter a new file name, and then click Save.

If the compact and repair does not succeed, you will receive a message stating so. This means the damage is so severe that it cannot be corrected.

DRDNA, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Donna Men Win User

Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover

Faulty Startup

Hi,

There are few reasons why you encounter this issue. For us to isolate the concern, we suggest that you run a Starup repair by following these steps:

• Simultaneously pressing Shift + click Restart.
    • When the blue screen appear, click on Troubleshoot.
    • Select Advanced options, then click Startup Repair.
    • Select the OS you want to repair, when prompted.

You will see the Diagnosing your PC that indicates repair is starting, and it will attempt to automatically repair errors.

If repair wasn't successful, a summary window will appear with the log file.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Donna Men, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover

1. Faulty Win10 PC, struggling to repair/recover - Similar Threads - Faulty Win10 struggling

2. My Pc Won't Reset, Recover, Repair, or Restore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Pc Won't Reset, Recover, Repair, or Restore.: Recently my pc started shutting down on its own and restarting randomly. It happened once, and then became more and more frequent. At first I could look my OS for about 2 mins and then it would freeze. Now I can't login at all. I can't even get past the startup. I tried...
  3. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  4. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repairing Faulty Ram: My 4gb ddr3 ram just failed i checked it with memtest and memory diagnostics nd had to replace it with new ddr3 ram. I replaced my old ram with new one and now my pc works perfectly fine. my question is that is there a way to reset or fix my fault ram so that i can connect it...
  5. Repairing Faulty Ram

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Broken PC and struggling to fix

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Broken PC and struggling to fix: Ok so 2 days ago I was gaming on my pc like I have done for last year and it has been working amazingly. That same day, when I went to turn it on for a second time, I had a few problems. Most of my app icons would not load and my task bar was blank. If I clicked it or pressed...
  7. Struggling to Activate Win10 on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Struggling to Activate Win10 on new build: I have a purchased key for Win 10 Pro. I have installed win 10 pro on a new PC that I built. I have followed steps to remove my license from my old machine by typing slmgr.vbs -upk and that was successful. On my new PC whenever I use my Win10 Pro key it says it cannot...
  8. WIN10 PC stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WIN10 PC stuck on preparing automatic repair: My WIN10 PC is stuck in a "preparing automatic repair" loop. I have not upgraded or added any hardware. The PC became unresponsive the other day so I power cycled it. Initially I could do a hard reboot, and get into the blue screen, but now no matter how many times I do a...
  9. Struggling to access my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Struggling to access my pc: My business computer (modern, high spec lenovo that is using windows 10 pro) attempted to update overnight. When I switch on the computer I received simply my desktop background with no text and no response. Tried usual CMD +CTRL +DEL etc but nothing came back. So I hard...
  10. Automatic repair couldnt repair your PC (Repair screen win10)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic repair couldnt repair your PC (Repair screen win10): Hello My pc is :C440 Touch All-in-One (Lenovo) Operating system : Windows 10 I can't run my PC, every time i try to run it shows me blue screen wrote on it " Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC Press " Advanced options" to try other options to repair...