Windows 10: Favicon

Discus and support Favicon in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Did Microsoft drop support for Favicon? Used to be, just about every web-site would have an icon that would be displayed when saving a URL link on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LarryTate1, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Favicon

Did Microsoft drop support for Favicon? Used to be, just about every web-site would have an icon that would be displayed when saving a URL link on the Windows desktop. I am using chrome, but Favicon seems to be broken with Edge too. Now, every link gets the Icon for the host browser, not the site itself.

:)

LarryTate1, Oct 7, 2022
  2. Hugo 12 Win User

Favicons don't show up in IE or Edge

All but one of my Favicons are working.

Found the favicon listed in the files but will not show on the favorites list??

Recently imported the favorites list to this computer and ended up with this odd ball favicon. How can one not work and how would I reset it?

I use IE11, have no use for the non-robust EDGE.

Hugo 12, Oct 7, 2022
  3. Favicons don't show up in IE or Edge

Try creating a new Internet Shortcut for this site.

Delete the existing Favorite.

Go to the website and make the IE window small enough that there is some Desktop showing.

Hold down Shift and drag the sites Favicon from the Address Bar to the Desktop.

Open your Favorites folder at "C:\Users\account name\Favorites" and drag the Internet Shortcut you've just created into that folder (or sub-folder)

Don

Don Varnau, Oct 7, 2022
  4. Favicon

Restore Missing Favicons (icons under My Favorites bookmarks): I landed on a solution

Thanks for your reply. The favicons were originally there in my computer. I had some problem with Internet Explorer 11 and in the online chat with an HP Support Agent he suggested that I do a Reset. That did not solve the issue but caused all items in the
    favorites list to disappear, and when I added them back they were without favicons for most sites.

Based on your answer, does it mean that if I do nothing, eventually the favicons would still come back? In my past experience with other computers and operating systems, favicons had disappeared sometimes for reasons unknown to me but after a while then
    mysteriously reappeared. I still have not found any answer in the Internet that solves this problem in a systematic manner.

HenryWong1, Oct 7, 2022
Thema:

Favicon

1. Favicon - Similar Threads - Favicon

2. Win 11 desktop webpage favicons disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 desktop webpage favicons disappear: I have a new computer that has Windows 11. I've spent over a week slowly moving things over from my old Windows 10 computer. I've had a lot of issues, but I finally have everything stable. The one issue that keeps coming up is desktop favicons. I have about 20 web pages that...
  3. Win 11 desktop webpage favicons disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 desktop webpage favicons disappear: I have a new computer that has Windows 11. I've spent over a week slowly moving things over from my old Windows 10 computer. I've had a lot of issues, but I finally have everything stable. The one issue that keeps coming up is desktop favicons. I have about 20 web pages that...
  4. What happened to Favicon?

What happened to Favicon?: Did Microsoft drop support for Favicon? Used to be, just about every web-site would have an icon that would be displayed when saving a URL link on the Windows desktop. I am using chrome, but Favicon seems to be broken with Edge too. Now, every link gets the Icon for the host...
  5. What happened to Favicon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to Favicon?: Did Microsoft drop support for Favicon? Used to be, just about every web-site would have an icon that would be displayed when saving a URL link on the Windows desktop. I am using chrome, but Favicon seems to be broken with Edge too. Now, every link gets the Icon for the host...
  6. App favicons disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App favicons disappeared: I had to at least try to do a System Restore on my Windows 11 upgraded from W10 laptop. I found that many of my apps' favicons had vanished. When I right-click on the Apps List entry, all I see is an "Unpin from Start" command and nothing else that is, no "Run as...
  7. App favicons disappeared

App favicons disappeared: I had to at least try to do a System Restore on my Windows 11 upgraded from W10 laptop. I found that many of my apps' favicons had vanished. When I right-click on the Apps List entry, all I see is an "Unpin from Start" command and nothing else that is, no "Run as...
  8. Favicon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Favicon: Did Microsoft drop support for Favicon? Used to be, just about every web-site would have an icon that would be displayed when saving a URL link on the Windows desktop. I am using chrome, but Favicon seems to be broken with Edge too. Now, every link gets the Icon for the host...
  9. Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons: I recently had to replace my hard drive and I am trying to load the Favicons file from my old user directory and get Error "0x800704C8 This operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open". I was able to move the bookmark file so all my bookmarks show...
  10. Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons

Updating Edge Bookmarks and Favicons: I recently had to replace my hard drive and I am trying to load the Favicons file from my old user directory and get Error "0x800704C8 This operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open". I was able to move the bookmark file so all my bookmarks show...