Windows 10: favorites disappeared after Windows update.

Discus and support favorites disappeared after Windows update. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've spent a long time accumulating my favorites. After an automatic Windows update recently, over half of those favorites disappeared. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by edvaleska, May 1, 2019.

1. edvaleska Win User

favorites disappeared after Windows update.

I've spent a long time accumulating my favorites. After an automatic Windows update recently, over half of those favorites disappeared. How can I retrieve them? Say there's a way.

:)

edvaleska, May 1, 2019

2. Favorites completely disappeared

Hello,

I can understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

How to restore the favorite’s folder in Internet Explorer.

• To open the Registry Editor,
    • Type regedit into the Start Search field.
    • Press Enter.
    • Find Favorites under the following Registry keys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell folders

HKEY_USERS\.default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell folders

• Right click it and select Modify. The Edit String dialog will open.
    • Verify that the Value Data field contains the correct location of your Favorites folder. If it does not, enter the right location to restore your missing Favorites folder to Internet Explorer.
    C:\Users\NetID\Favorites

• Close the registry editor.
    • Open Internet Explorer to confirm that your favorites are there.
    Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you
    follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to
    view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, May 1, 2019
  3. Favorites List Has Disappeared

Hi,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.
    We are sorry for the trouble this have caused.

I suggest you to check in C:\Users\userName\Favorites and see if the favorites folder is there or not.

I also suggest you to check in Windows. Old folder and see if it helps.

Please follow the steps below to check if your files are available in Windows. Old folder and see if it helps:

Step 1: If you don’t know the path, Press Windows key and R key together.

Step 2: Type “C:” and tap on Enter key

Step 3: Open Windows. Old folder and check.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepak_Krishnan R, May 1, 2019
  4. pvdg42 Win User

Favorites completely disappeared

Unfortunately, I applied the recommended registry changes under Win 10, but that did not solve the problem. The actual favorites ARE on my Win 10 system in the correct place (C:\Users\<username>\Favorites, and DO work in Edge. So I believe this is an IE
    issue caused by some recent update.

Further, I am using a dual boot Win 10/Win 8.1 system and IE does not have this empty favorites bar issue under Win 8.1.

IMO (as others seem to have the same problem) this is an issue that was caused by a recent update to Win 10/IE and this needs to be reopened and investigated by Microsoft Support.

Please help!

pvdg42, May 1, 2019
Thema:

1. favorites disappeared after Windows update. - Similar Threads - favorites disappeared update

2. After Windows 11 update, favorites are no longer at top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Windows 11 update, favorites are no longer at top: After a Windows 11 update, my favorites are no longer at the top left of file explorer. OneDrive is there and is always open. Which is very inconvenient when I want to go to my documents or desktop folder. Because now I'm forced to scroll down through all of my OneDrive...
  3. After Windows 11 update, favorites are no longer at top

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Windows 11 update, favorites are no longer at top: After a Windows 11 update, my favorites are no longer at the top left of file explorer. OneDrive is there and is always open. Which is very inconvenient when I want to go to my documents or desktop folder. Because now I'm forced to scroll down through all of my OneDrive...
  4. Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing: Hi there, All my Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing yahoo account with Hotmail account. I have checked in the users folders to no avail. I have done a search on the C:\ drive but no luck.Please advise how I can restore all my favorite files on...
  5. Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing: Hi there, All my Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing yahoo account with Hotmail account. I have checked in the users folders to no avail. I have done a search on the C:\ drive but no luck.Please advise how I can restore all my favorite files on...
  6. Favorites on Microsoft Edge have disappeared after syncing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Window Update deleting favorites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window Update deleting favorites: Windows updated on my laptop recently and I lost all my favorites in Edge Windows 10. I have tried to search the community for how to restore them but I can only find how to restored from IE - which brought over only two old favorites. I need to find a way to get my...
  8. Favorites Disappearing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Favorites Disappearing in Explorer: Whenever I had a folder to favorites in explorer, it is gone the next time I reboot. I can’t find a solution from Microsoft or any other online source. Any ideas? submitted by /u/Shiftylee [link] [comments]...
  9. Favorites and Reading List disappeared after update 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Favorites and Reading List disappeared after update 1809: I have a Windows 10 Desktop, laptop, phone and a tablet that all completed the 1809 update several days ago, and after the restart, I lost all my favorites and everything in my reading list on the desktop, laptop and my windows phone, but not my surface pro tablet. I've...
  10. favorites gone after update??

in Windows 10 Customization
    favorites gone after update??: Where do my favorites go after windows 10 updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/favorites-gone-after-update/3b88275e-de69-493f-84e8-30ba6c811f99