Windows 10: FCC approves Net Neutrality rules

Discus and support FCC approves Net Neutrality rules in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A historic vote took place in Washington, D.C today where the FCC voted to reclassify broadband under Title II which gives the regulatory body... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

FCC approves Net Neutrality rules

Read more: FCC approves Net Neutrality rules

See also: Microsoft backs FCC vote, happy about net neutrality rules

:)

Brink, Feb 25, 2015
  2. JKK
    JKK Win User

Why does Windows 10 appear to be suddenly sabotaging my preferred web browser: Google Chrome?

Another example of Microsoft trying to force you to use their product is try to browse msn.com with a Chrome browser, you will find a lot of the content will not display. I am also finding more and more sites that will only display
    with Edge. Ajit Pai at the FCC would say, like net neutrality, Microsoft gives us a choice, use their browser of look at blank pages. Go Mr. T.

3. Amazon Device randomly showing up on Network.

good info, but curious, your comment about net neutrality,

what does net neutrality (a regulation governing how ISPs throttle internet speeds) have to do with an unknown device being on your network?

BrianChidichimo, Feb 25, 2015
  4. rfruth Win User

Oh yea get the government involved *Mad

rfruth, Feb 25, 2015
  5. cougar70 Win User
    The last phrase you want to hear:

I'm from the government and I'm here to help!

cougar70, Feb 25, 2015
  6. Wynona Win User
    ​Net neutrality becomes the law of the land | ZDNet

I don't know what this will do, but I expect there will be a wholesale rate increase by Internet providers.

I just posted this over in the General area, since I didn't think it would go in Windows 10 News.

This is great, but all the Internet providers will now say since they can't scalp us one way, they'll do it another way. So, I expect rate increases by, at least, the big providers.

Wynona, Feb 25, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    It really is more important as to which government their talking about. . .*Eek

8. cougar70 Win User

You mean, whether it's OUR government, correct?? lol!

cougar70, Feb 25, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Lol, I wouldn't bet on it. Net Neutrality means that they can't raise prices on one group without also raising prices on another. And Google and other major bandwidth consumers will not sit still for even tiny bandwidth increases. So what this means is we benefit from the bargaining power of the big boys, since whatever they negotiate will have to apply to us as well.

Mystere, Feb 25, 2015
  10. cougar70 Win User
    My only concern is that when the government steps in, they start to tax, in this case, the ISPs which then causes a trickle down effect to the end consumer, meaning us.

cougar70, Feb 25, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    I hadn't thought of it that way, but what's to keep them from bringing cost to us consumers in line with the big boys?

IOW, Big Boy is paying $50.00 for 25Mbps while I'm paying $25.00 for 12 Mbps. So, I'm raised to 25 Mbps and my rate is raised to $50.00, the same as Big Boy.

And yes, this is very confusing. You should see the firestorm this announcement caused over on ZDNet! Talk about bringing out the worst in human nature!

Wynona, Feb 25, 2015
  12. cougar70 Win User
    I think more than a few people are getting tired of the way that big government will do things that seem to be a good idea at the time but always trickle down and hurt the citizens of these United States of America!

Control, taxing and spending by the federal government are getting out of control.
    They seem to forget that it's a government of the people, by the people and for the people.

cougar70, Feb 25, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

Everyone is acting like the internet and broadband hasn't already been controlled by the government... It has. You're already paying taxes on it.

It's ridiculous to think that this is anything but good news for us, the people.

Big Internet has spent a lot of money trying to convince people that hate big government that Net Neutrality is a bad thing, because it's good for them. It lowers their costs and raises yours, because it pushes the burden of paying for the internet on the consumer. The more you use, the higher your rates (and not just because you're using more, you actually pay a higher percentage for using more in their perfect world).

The FCC is not creating a gigantic Obamacare style beaurocracy around this. It's just some rules that dictate that internet providers must treat everyone equally...

Mystere, Feb 26, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    But you forget that some people have to freak out about something when it comes to the government.

BunnyJ, Feb 26, 2015
  15. Looey Win User
    I would like to read the 323 pages of the law. I do have some questions though. Will the feds tax just the internet connection or will they tax every device connected? Will Wi-Fi still be free in public places?If the feds want everyone charged the same so how will that help users who only use e-mail and browse the internet? I believe net neutrality will be used to subsidize the big content companies like Google, Amazon and Netflix. I can't see anything good to come of this. The FCC made the law available to the public the day they announced the new law. More Obama transparency. I hope the lawsuits to follow will toss net neutrality out.

Looey, Feb 26, 2015
Thema:

1. FCC approves Net Neutrality rules - Similar Threads - FCC approves Net

2. FCC App

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    FCC App: I need to download FCC FreeConferenceCall App and it won't download from app store. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fcc-app/7e0980b4-d552-41c7-a2ba-41afff727afd
  3. Microsoft Family Approval Not Recognising Approval

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Approval Not Recognising Approval: Tried to download Chrome then Firefox to see if permissions worked so that each child can use different browser for learning driving me mad keep asking for passwords. Both asked for permissions from an adult to use which I clicked - then approved both on my own laptop both...
  4. Verizon requesting FCC to approve temp 60 day lock period on phones

in Windows 10 News
    Verizon requesting FCC to approve temp 60 day lock period on phones: A message from Ronan Dunne, executive vice president and group president of Verizon Wireless: Unfortunately, it’s a harsh reality that bad actors are always looking for ways to engage in fraud and identity theft. With private customer information in-hand, they defraud banks,...
  5. Ajit Pai announces plan to eliminate Title II net neutrality rules

in Windows 10 News
    Ajit Pai announces plan to eliminate Title II net neutrality rules: The Federal Communications Commission will vote next month to start the process of reversing the commission's 2015 net neutrality order, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai announced in a speech today. Earlier today, Pai shared with his fellow commissioners a plan to "reverse the...
  6. FCC imposes new consumer privacy rules on ISPs

in Windows 10 News
    FCC imposes new consumer privacy rules on ISPs: The US regulatory agency will require broadband providers to get the approval of customers before sharing their sensitive information. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Thursday approved new rules governing how internet service providers handle their...
  7. Net Neutrality: Obama's Plan for a Free and Open Internet

in Windows 10 News
    Net Neutrality: Obama's Plan for a Free and Open Internet: More than any other invention of our time, the Internet has unlocked possibilities we could just barely imagine a generation ago. And here's a big reason we've seen such incredible growth and innovation: Most Internet providers have treated Internet traffic equally. That's a...
  8. Tom Wheeler makes history with full-on Net neutrality proposal

in Windows 10 News
    Tom Wheeler makes history with full-on Net neutrality proposal: Internet freedom at last! FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler's proposal is for full Title II reclassification for ISPs, defining ISPs as utilities and preventing fast-lane profiteering Despite all the lobbying money, all the public fearmongering, and all the threats of disaster and...
  9. When FCC Kills Net Neutrality, Here's What Internet Could Look Like

in Windows 10 News
    When FCC Kills Net Neutrality, Here's What Internet Could Look Like: When The FCC Kills Net Neutrality, Here's What Your Internet Could Look Like The new FCC commission, Ajit Pai, formerly worked as a lawyer for Verizon. His plan to eliminate net neutrality is a bigger gift to Verizon than anything he's ever done before. In just a few...
  10. FCC pushes back against Obama on net neutrality

in Windows 10 News
    FCC pushes back against Obama on net neutrality: In the face of President Obama's call for the FCC to adopt fresh legislation to protect net neutrality, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has reminded the leader politely that the agency works for Congress, not the White House. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has found...