Windows 10: Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences

Discus and support Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently (within the last 4 days) received a notification that Win 10 needed to update because of something dating back to a last-supported... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Win10Newbie1023, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences

Hello,

I recently (within the last 4 days) received a notification that Win 10 needed to update because of something dating back to a last-supported date of April. I don't recall the exact wording because my 'notification' panel is not showing anything -- most likely I closed that panel and the notification disappeared.

I am in mortal fear of allowing the update because in the past 'all hell broke loose' when I did so! This has happened at least 2 times. These are the issues I have experienced:

(1) All my laboriously-created settings were either changed or re-initialized to something Microsoft decided to set them
    to.

(2) I was forcibly presented with a kind of 'dark theme' which to me was quite ghastly and I resented it greatly.

I had no idea if there was some kind of setting in the new (updated) Win 10 as to how to reset everything back to the way it was before. In each case (twice) I ended running a 'restore' to get Win 10 back to way it was before and I was extremely happy!

I don't like having these updates shoved down my throat. Even if the support is no longer there I want to be able to make my own choice as to whether I will update or not.

Can someone kindly tell me if there is a way to have my Win 10 maintain my current settings if I go ahead and accept the update, or if there is a way to disable the update process from taking place? I am in mortal fear of doing a 'shutdown' or 'restart' because of my bad experiences in the past.

My thanks to all in advance!

:)

Win10Newbie1023, Jul 20, 2020
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Jul 20, 2020
  3. win 10 update leaves vertical pink line on screen

today i applied latest win 10 update and now i have a vertical pink line on screen, it remains on every screen. i have tried these fixes

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan,
    System File Checkeris a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.
    Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update the display drivers and check.

Steps to Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + Xkey when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software
    BUT i still have the line on screen.

tinacaston, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences

Your win 10 installing via dvd dam slow slow, product and very bad experience with your win 10

Your win 10 installing via dvd dam slow slow, very bad product and very bad experience with your win 10

huyphan quang, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences

1. Fear Of Allowing Win 10 Update Because Of Past Bad Experiences - Similar Threads - Fear Allowing Update

2. HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!: WAS FORCED TO UPDATE MY WINDOWS AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NAME OF A <mod removed> EXPERIENCE.I cant search anything in the windows task bar.I cant search anything inside any folder or subfolder.AMAZING EXPERIENCE, HONESTLY. LOVED IT. MADE MY DAY.THE LOCAL TEA GUY AT OUR...
  3. HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!: WAS FORCED TO UPDATE MY WINDOWS AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NAME OF A F**KING EXPERIENCE.I cant search anything in the windows task bar.I cant search anything inside any folder or subfolder.AMAZING EXPERIENCE, HONESTLY. LOVED IT. MADE MY DAY.THE LOCAL TEA GUY AT OUR PLACE...
  4. HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW TO SHUTDOWN WINDOWS WITHOUT UPDATE? BAD OPS!!! BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!: WAS FORCED TO UPDATE MY WINDOWS AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NAME OF A F**KING EXPERIENCE.I cant search anything in the windows task bar.I cant search anything inside any folder or subfolder.AMAZING EXPERIENCE, HONESTLY. LOVED IT. MADE MY DAY.THE LOCAL TEA GUY AT OUR PLACE...
  5. Win 10 won't update past 1909

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 won't update past 1909: My PC has been stuck on 1909 for quite a while. I have not been able to update it past this version.I also lost the primary SSD and tried to install 21H1 from USB but it wouldn't install and I had to stick with 1909 as a fresh install again.Currently when Windows update tries...
  6. Win 10 won't update past 1909

Win 10 won't update past 1909: My PC has been stuck on 1909 for quite a while. I have not been able to update it past this version.I also lost the primary SSD and tried to install 21H1 from USB but it wouldn't install and I had to stick with 1909 as a fresh install again.Currently when Windows update tries...
  7. Phone Experience host allowed?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phone Experience host allowed?: This morning I saw " allowed phone experience host to access your network" in my desktop's security log. Two days ago I allowed remote access from my cable/internet provider to diagnose an issue but closed both the session and chat box once the issue was resolved. Any ideas...
  8. Win 10 update gone badly wrong

Win 10 update gone badly wrong: Dell Inspiron laptop. Another update, endless blue screen, please wait etc., finally ending up with usually login, new background picture, but now I can’t log in.Pin not recognised, nor Microsoft user / pass. Clearly a problem with laptop as I used the same log in details to...
  9. Bad experience with Windows 10 Mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad experience with Windows 10 Mail: A few days ago I took my life in my hands and installed the 2004 Windows 10 update. Until then I had been happily using Windows Live Mail from Windows Essentials 2012. However after the update it clearly had been scuppered as syncing failed and it became unusable. I knew...
  10. Bad Gamming Experience

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Gamming Experience: my laptop often get FPS spike, getting heavy, stuttering.. I didn't realize at first since i'm playing an online games, because I thought that it was come from my connection. but when i play an offline game last night i realize that it was not, it's my device that have the...