Windows 10: Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface.

Discus and support Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 keeps installing English-US keyboard layout silently. As I remember, this phenomenon keeps happening after Windows 10 released, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Seung-Tak Noh, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface.

Windows 10 keeps installing English-US keyboard layout silently.

As I remember, this phenomenon keeps happening after Windows 10 released,

but there is no clear solution yet (it happens AGAIN unexpectedly).

I'm also quite tired on the endless & useless effort, which is described as below:

1. OPEN Language (in app style "settings")

2. ADD English-US keyboard layout, which already exists in a task bar but does not exist in the list, ridiculously.

3. REMOVE the English-US keyboard layout

then I could enjoy the clean setting few days, but it will be ended within few days because it will be added AGAIN.

As multi-language user, this should be the most annoying *feature* of Windows 10,

because we keep changing two or more languages (with Alt+Shift), and unwanted keyboard layout will break our workflow.

I also know that there are tons of Q&A in various languages.

However, most answers just mentioned the following 3 answers which is not a general solution.

1) Refer "clean install again", but I bet that the problem happens again unexpectedly.

2) Refer some old answers, but those are not available in the latest version.
    For example, "Language setting" in "old style" control panel, which is disappeared around 2016~2017.

3) Refer some technically tricky solution (by using regedit or Shell), but nobody bet the problem won't happen again.

I'm quite tired on this game, so here I suggest a new feature for the next update.

Can we keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED, but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface?

I think that some update needs this English-US keyboard laytout (I don't know why),

but this naturally enforces users to use this UNWANTED keyboard layout,

because there is no "disable function" and we only have a removing-based solution.

If we can turn on/off the installed keyboard layout, it is possible to keep English-US keyboard without touching it.

Sincerely,

:)

Seung-Tak Noh, Mar 13, 2019

2. Windows 7 top feature request list leaked to the public

With Windows still managing to find its way to over 95 percent of the desktop computers sold each year, it's not surprising that one can find plenty of people interested in giving their feedback about what future versions of Windows should be able to do.

A few years ago, before Windows Vista had even shipped, Microsoft sent out a wish list form asking people what features they would like to see in the next version of Windows, currently code-named Windows 7. The top wished-for features in this list were recently leaked to the public and have popped up at various sites (e.g., Neowin). While anonymous sources at Microsoft tell us that they bear no relationship to the actual feature set Microsoft is currently writing for Windows 7, the list does provide interesting insight into what the Windows-using public most wants from Windows.

The features are listed in no particular order, but they break down into various categories depending on what part of Windows the feature request falls under. Many requests for improvements in Internet Explorer, such as a session restore function, are fairly obvious wishes for features that already exist in competitive products such as Firefox and Opera. Other suggestions, such as a tabbed Windows Explorer, look for features from web browsers to migrate into the general user interface.

Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface. win7-early_feedback.gif

Some of the feature requests are clearly unrealistic, such as the desire to "back up" Xbox 360 games to the PC (yeah, I don't think Microsoft will be doing that one). Others are minor user interface enhancements that would be nice additions but wouldn't really change the Windows experience, such as a progress bar when hibernating the system. However, there are a few that make good sense and would be welcome additions to the operating system, such as a built-in video and audio codec manager.

A Windows 7 insider who wishes to remain anonymous told Ars that the leaked feature list was gathered before any real development on Windows 7 was started, and readers should not expect to see requests from the list necessarily implemented in Microsoft’s next major Windows release.

Ben Clarke, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface.

Feature request: Disable auto-capitalisation on keyboard

I might suggest that you make a suggestion for the need for this functionality in the Suggestion Box.

Feature suggestions can be made at
    windowsphone.uservoice.com

You could also use the Suggestion Box app to post suggestions & feature requests for wp7 from your windows phone.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface.

1. Feature request: keep English-US keyboard INSTALLED but DISABLE (negate) it in user interface. - Similar Threads - Feature request keep

2. US-ENGLISH keyboard missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    US-ENGLISH keyboard missing: After I added the Chinese simplified keyboard I can't switch back to English-US keyboard. The English-US option does not even show up in the language bar. How do I solve this issue?...
  3. US-ENGLISH keyboard missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    US-ENGLISH keyboard missing: After I added the Chinese simplified keyboard I can't switch back to English-US keyboard. The English-US option does not even show up in the language bar. How do I solve this issue?...
  4. English US keyboard keeps adding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    English US keyboard keeps adding: I have had this issue on Windows 10 and now 11. Just a quick question for Microsoft. How hard is it to fix this problem? It's been ages. I think it's pretty easy for a multi-billion company to fix an issue that is the automatically adding keyboard????Basically, the English US...
  5. English US keyboard keeps adding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    English US keyboard keeps adding: I have had this issue on Windows 10 and now 11. Just a quick question for Microsoft. How hard is it to fix this problem? It's been ages. I think it's pretty easy for a multi-billion company to fix an issue that is the automatically adding keyboard????Basically, the English US...
  6. New US English keyboards installed that I can't remove

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New US English keyboards installed that I can't remove: Hey reddit, Originally I only had two keyboards installed, US (English, Australia) and Russian. Today I installed the Cyrillic Serbian keyboard and it has now also given me two new options in the language center, English (US) and English (US International). Windows does not...
  7. Keyboard layout switching keeps adding US English to the list

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard layout switching keeps adding US English to the list: Okay I live in the UK but I use a German-Russian bilingual keyboard because I do. I have it all set to United Kingdom and then in the preferred languages I have it on German and Russian only because you can write in English perfectly fine with the German layout. Problem is...
  8. (US) English keeps reinstalling by itself.

in Windows 10 Customization
    (US) English keeps reinstalling by itself.: I'm having issues permanently removing US English from my computer. I live in Canada and only want to use the Canadian English option, but no matter what I do US English returns. It's mostly the 'ENG' taskbar icon that I find annoying. Is there a way to remove the icon or US...
  9. English (US) keyboard keeps adding itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    English (US) keyboard keeps adding itself: About maybe once a week this English (United States) keyboard adds itself and as I don't need it I have to delete it every time. Is there a way to prevent it from appearing? And if it's intended behavior, well, it's really inconvenient. Language of Windows 10 is set to...
  10. US keyboard + UK English

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    US keyboard + UK English: Is it possible to setup Windows so that it recognises that I have an ANSI layout, but that spell checking and such is in British English? 29942