Windows 10: Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation

Discus and support Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I use a lot the multi-desktop feature, it allows me to compartment my work, one desktop for general work, one for special development, one for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Memes11(1), Dec 2, 2018.

1. Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation

Hi,

I use a lot the multi-desktop feature, it allows me to compartment my work, one desktop for general work, one for special development, one for personal stuffs, one for music selection.

Sometimes, I end up with 5 desktops and I somewhat got them mixed up.

It would be neat if we can rename the desktops, so instead of having "Desktop 1", "Desktop 2",... we have "Main Work", "Personal Stuff", "Special Project"...

Another thing would be the desktop isolation, When I am on "Special Project", I do not want to be interrupted by the "outlook" notifications for each incoming email, I want my full focus on the task at hand. It would be neat if there was an option in settings that can activate this, you could call it "Isolated Desktops", if ON, then you get only the notifications of the apps that are present on the desktop you are currently working on.

This of course also means we need improvement on the way we can share the window between desktops. For instance, instead of having "Show this window on all desktops" option, you would get a sub-menu "Show on" (similar to "Move to"), inside this sub-menu, you would have :

• This Desktop Only (option used to reset the selection to a more standard one)
    • All Desktops (activate on all desktops no matter what is the status)
    • Desktop 1 (would toggle the Desktop 1 activation status of the window)
    • Desktop 2 (would toggle the Desktop 2 activation status of the window)

This could allow something like the following :

• I activate my Skype window on all desktops but the "Special Project" one so I can focus on it when I am on it
    • I have my Facebook opened in my "Personal" desktop but limit the notification to it so I am not disturbed all the time

Thanks

:)

Memes11(1), Dec 2, 2018

2. Rename Desktops In Windows 10 Multiple Desktop Mode -- Feature Request

Hi there!

I am an engineer. My job often requires me to run several applications at the same time. Keeping track of the different program windows is much better with the multiple desktops function than in previous versions of Windows. I have a suggestion to make it
    a little better.

Grant users the ability to name each desktop something other than "Desktop 1, ...2, ...3, Etc".

Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation 5b8f458d-aa01-44a2-a4ea-f588245f110b.png

I believe others would find naming desktops to be a useful feature as well.

Thanks!

theRealSlimShaney, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Ruz San Win User
    My Downloads Renamed Itself to Desktop

Hi Matt,

To rename the folder back to Downloads, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Open Local Disk (CFeature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation :).
    • Open Users.
    • Open the folder of the user profile you are experiencing this issue in.
    • Rename the second Desktop icon you see as Downloads.
    • Close File Explorer then reopen it.
    • Check if the Downloads folder has been renamed successfully.

Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Ruz San, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation

Windows 10 desktop renamed "downloads"

Hi,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

How did you exactly change the default folder for downloads to desktop? Is it through Internet explorer/through any other source?

As the issue started after setting the default folder for downloads to desktop, I suggest you to change the default folder for downloads to Download folder. (Follow the same procedure as you have did to change the default folder for downloads
    to desktop)

You may try this steps and check if you are able to rename the folders names for desktop and downloads.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows explorer.

• Click on This pc on the left navigation pane.

• Open the drive where Windows 10 is installed. (Ex: open C:/ drive if the Windows 10 is installed in c drive)

• Click on Users and select
      user name
      . (user name is the user you have logged in to the computer at present)

• Right click on Downloads folder and click on
      Rename and change to Desktop. (Do the same step for the Desktop folder also)

You may try to reset the view settings of the folders and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open File Explorer.

• Click on the This PC on the left navigation pane.

• Click on the View tab at the top of the File explorer window.

• Click on Options and select
      Change folder and search options

• Navigate to the View tab in folder options window.

• Click on Reset Folders. (Click on Yes if any dialog box prompted)

• You may click on Restore defaults
      to restore the default settings for the folder.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation

1. Feature request - Renaming Desktop and desktop isolation - Similar Threads - Feature request Renaming

2. [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name: Issue: When using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to switch between virtual desktops it is easy to get lost in which desktop environment you are in. Proposal: When using the shortcut to switch between virtual desktops a brief text notification should be...
  3. Renaming Desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming Desktops: Like most students, I'm doing all online this quarter and I plan to separate out my stuff for classes into separate desktops for organization. I have no issue making separate desktops via the Windows button + tab but I am unable to rename them. The online guides have said to...
  4. Renaming Virtual Desktop

Renaming Virtual Desktop: Hi Team, I am trying to rename virtual desktop but even after getting the latest Windows version 18363 i am unable to rename it. let me know what else needs to be changed. Thanks, Rajendra...
  5. Virtual desktops isolation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual desktops isolation: Hello, everyone! I'm using Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and I love the fact that I can quickly switch between desktops with a shortcut and that I can move windows from one desktop to another. BUT... For example if I am on desktop 2 and an application from desktop 1 is...
  6. Rename virtual desktop

Rename virtual desktop: Hello I can't rename my virtual desktops. I am using: Windows 10 Home Version 1903 OS build 18362.175 Any help will be appreciated. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-virtual-desktop/dfcf8be3-d903-4357-a1b9-a703bf252980
  7. Renaming desktop

Renaming desktop: At some point my desktop got renamed Temporary Burn Folder. How do I change it back to Desktop? Right clicking does not allow change name. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-desktop/9ad7eafb-534d-4db9-bad3-3def12c3bf88
  8. Renaming Multiple Desktops

Renaming Multiple Desktops: I know this has already been raised, I still fail to see the hardship for "the computer company" to enable users to rename their extra desktops to whatever they wish. The computer company should have this feature already, the other computer company does and so does the other...
  9. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s)): General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something on. Yes, you...
  10. Rename New Desktops?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Rename New Desktops?: Hi! Just got windows 10 and this multiple desktops feature is really cool, however is there a way to rename these desktops so it's not just "Desktop 1" or "Desktop 2"? Thanks! *Biggrin 10380