Windows 10: [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

Discus and support [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Issue: When using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to switch between virtual desktops it is easy to get lost in which desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChristopherDelight, Sep 10, 2020.

1. [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

Issue:

When using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to switch between virtual desktops it is easy to get lost in which desktop environment you are in.

Proposal:

When using the shortcut to switch between virtual desktops a brief text notification should be displayed in the upper left of each monitor corresponding to the virtual desktop name.

Benefits:

Consider my use-case for organization to aid productivity. I have multiple desktops labeled with their intended functionality, for example, Research, Analysis, Design, Reading, etc. The only time I see these names are during Task View screens. If the names were also briefly visible during the Left/Right shortcut it would help me to return to the appropriate desktop for my task.

Task View is not a good solution since it requires the following key inputs: Win+Tab, Shift+Tab if a window is open, Left/Right Arrow, Space/Enter.

:)

ChristopherDelight, Sep 10, 2020

2. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something
    on. Yes, you can do windows+tab and go poke around, but that's still something that requires hunting if you have a very busy machine like mine. (Intel server hardware 256gb ram, many TB hdd space, etc).

But now it needs some polish:

• Ability to rename virtual desktops instead of desktop 1, 2, 3, etc & Ability to change background on each virtual desktop instead a single point or having to use a third party API to shift it upon switch
      • When I have multiple desktops, its to keep organized in different thought buckets. But my thoughts don't run in line with "thought bucket 1, 2, 3 etc"
      • One desktop has console sessions
      • Another has administrative tools open
      • Another is where I'm browsing reddit
      • So I want to label them! Identify them!
    • For multiple monitor solutions (I have six), allow for a single monitor to stay static. So when I can set up a center console that virtual monitors flow around.
      • For instance, Lync & Outlook are live on Virtual Desktop 1 Monitor 2 (Center bottom), and I select that monitor and click say "static virtual" or something to that effect. So now when I hit CTRL+WIN+RightArrow, My center bottom monitor stays the same, while
        the other five move to the next virtual desktop.
      • And an additional ability to virtualize windows rather than windows taking up a specific size based off of 1/2 split 1/4 split overly simplified mechanics. (yes, its easy, but gramma isn't the only customer.)
        • Right now, if I want to lock a chat window (like the name column) into place, and use the basic drag to side and lock function, it starts out at half a window.
        • Well I don't need half a window. I don't even need it to take up the full space from top to bottom.
        • See the program "Maxto"
    • This probably isn't really doable, and honestly moot, but because I just thought of it, I'll mention it. VMWare integration, so that the VM becomes a virtual desktop (once you specifically set it, you're "on the virtual machine literally" instead of just
      a virtual desktop.)

HouseHalcyon, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 10, 2020
  4. rafa9124 Win User

[Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

Option to maximize window to new virtual desktop

Option to maximize a window to a new virtual desktop

One feature request I have is to maximize a window and have it sent to a new virtual desktop. Once that window is closed the virtual desktop is destroyed.

This could be implemented with two features:

1) Add an option that maximizing windows will send them to a new virtual desktop, and switch user focus to that desktop

2) Add an option that will automatically destroy any 'empty' virtual desktops.

Exist a way to do it?

rafa9124, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

[Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name

1. [Feature Request] Switching Virtual Desktop Should Display Virtual Desktop Name - Similar Threads - Feature Request Switching

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request: Alt-Tab is an instant switch between apps... Windows-Tab should be an instant switch between Virtual Desktop... It makes a ton of sense and it's easy and fast... why do I need 1 more click with the mouse all the way in the top left corner to choose a second virtual desktop......
  4. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request: Alt-Tab is an instant switch between apps... Windows-Tab should be an instant switch between Virtual Desktop... It makes a ton of sense and it's easy and fast... why do I need 1 more click with the mouse all the way in the top left corner to choose a second virtual desktop......
  5. Virtual Desktop navigation hotkey - Request

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup: I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens. I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers. I am open to...
  7. Virtual desktop switch

Virtual desktop switch: Windows 10, laptop. Sometimes when I log onto my PC, the virtual desktop switches to the furthest on the right. I haven't seen anyone having the same problem, and it's bothering me. submitted by /u/grzesiu447 [link] [comments]...
  8. Quick switch between virtual desktops

Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  9. Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s))

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enhanced Virtual Desktops (Feature(s) Request(s)): General speaking? It's been great. Virtual desktops have thus far been pretty smooth, but they're TOO simplified. There's no way to use them without confusion or having to paradoxically use post it notes or something to remind you what desktop you left something on. Yes, you...
  10. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual desktop switch: win+tab opens virtual desktop switch ... but by repeated press it again disappears instead of continuing to next desktop :/ do you know how to advance to next desktop ? by keyboard not by pointing cursor over 2nd desktop ??? (win+tab+1 .... did not worked) alt+tab -...