Windows 10: Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at 96%

Discus and support Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at 96% in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; As the title of the topic suggests, the update is just stuck at 96%. This is the second time I'm trying to download this update. The first time it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nero7441, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Nero7441 Win User

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at 96%

As the title of the topic suggests, the update is just stuck at 96%. This is the second time I'm trying to download this update. The first time it was stuck at 95% and now this.

Is there any other way to download this update. And also, how should I cancel the update cause as I'm writing this it is stuck. Or should I just wait it out for it to fail by itself?

EDIT: It got solved on its own. Will reopen a new thread if any new error occurs.

:)

Nero7441, Nov 30, 2017

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at "Preparing to install updates 49%."

you can use USB, I just seen many having issues installing that way. use the windows upgrade page, try the assistant and if no success, use the media creation tool and save your files and settings on update.

seahawks65, Nov 30, 2017
  3. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at "Preparing to install updates 49%."

stop the install

change hours for checking for updates to stop on restart

restart PC

create your system image and a repair CD

restart pc again.

Then if it keeps getting stuck as it has, I would not use windows update, go here and use the update assistant or better yet create install media and burn to DVD. I would use DVD over USB anytime.

Download Windows 10

After you do the 1709, you can then use windows update to update you to current build 16299.248 or you can go here and do manual install of the updates. (Recommended since Windows update fails too much)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043454

If you are interested in a clean install, which I recommend, then you can use back up files in B-U/Restore(win7) and after install of 1709, all you have to do is double click on the back up file and restore your personal files. You do not need to use the
    B-U/Restore(win7) program. But you will have to install your programs and set up your UI settings.

Now if you are interested in a clean install and already have Windows 10 then you can do the following.

Just to be smart, retrieve you Windows 10 Activation Key Code and write it down first. Go here and download this tool and run it.

ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

Now here is all you need for a clean install. I suggest to burn the ISO on to a DVD and not USB.

Do not format the SSD or HDD if your system is EFI and not BIOS. If you format the EFI setup, the partitions for EFI and Windows Recovery will be destroyed and you will not be able to install Windows until you create new partitions and that takes some advanced
    skills. Just install to the Large C:\ OS drive or partition.

So to do a clean install, here is the link to download and burn iso on dvd for Windows 10 v1709 Fall Creators Update version.

get the 64 bit version, but do not install Pro if you only qualify for Home version.

Clean install of 1709. back up your personal files. your settings and apps will be lost.

Standard • Windows ISO

Select Language

Be sure to select the 64 bit version and make sure if you have home to install home and if you have pro to install pro. Both are on the Windows10.ISO Image file.

Burn the ISO file onto a DVD (It will be a Bootable Disk) I would not use USB if possible.

Do not format drive or anything if installing with EFI boot partition, unless it is a new replaced SSD or HDD. Just install to the large C:\ Partition

If using old legacy BIOS then format NTFS

After install, go to windows update and install all the current updates until you have Build 16299.248

Main Windows ISO Web Page for 7, 8.1 and 10

Windows Download - #1 Windows ISO Download Source

seahawks65, Nov 30, 2017
  4. DiBBz Win User

hate to say this but i feel you. 1709 fall update is being forced on me now.. and just like 1703 i 100% in my mind dont expect this to work. the creator updates have simply ****ed with my windows so much that its entirely pointless even attempting to install it on my pc. tho in your situation you managed to fixed the problem. it seems now matter what i do i cant get creator updates to install ever.

yet ive done a multitude of different suggestions. from media creation tool, sfc, dism, secure boot & fast boot being disabled. to the stand alone update in a exe file.

nothing ****ing works.

DiBBz, Dec 5, 2017
  5. Hi DiBBz. Have you seen this article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...dy_UpgradeTips

Does it help identify where yours is going down the drain.

While not a solution, per say, have you considered a Clean install?

Before even considering this I would create bootable media for the installed version using the Windows task - Recovery Drive and I would do a backup with Macrium Reflect.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Your spec says you device was modified. Could you share what was done. I would have a look at that article.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  6. DiBBz Win User
    hi there. well i wont know cause i cant cancel the download or install process, which its currently at 87% right now on the update window. but just like the advice you had given me on my failures with 1703. if those solutions didn't work i dont think it will work with this.

only option that youve said that i haven't tried is a clean install of the creators update. which ive explained i dont have the time to do so as that would require about 3-5hours minimum backing up everything again. as well as wiping the HDD and setting aside maybe 2 hours at best to get the creator update install... thats if it will install

DiBBz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709 stuck at 96% - Similar Threads - Feature Update version

2. Windows stuck on 96% update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stuck on 96% update: Windows stuck on updates 96% complete. Went through all the steps that was recommended still stuck. What do I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-stuck-on-96-update/8fa077ae-9584-4860-b7c2-cbe8c7cfd394
  3. Windows stuck on 96% update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stuck on 96% update: Windows stuck on updates 96% complete. Went through all the steps that was recommended still stuck. What do I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-stuck-on-96-update/8fa077ae-9584-4860-b7c2-cbe8c7cfd394
  4. Windows stuck on 96% update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cant update windows, stuck on version 1709

Cant update windows, stuck on version 1709: So this is been happening for awhile but everytimei try to update my windows it freezes on abouy 75%, if i restart my pc it then continues and goes to about 82% then freezes again and just stops there. If I restart pc third tiem it reverts back to old install of files so...
  6. Stuck at version 1709

Stuck at version 1709: Win 10, 1803, continues to fail the update on my Acer computer (i5-3450, 8GB RAM, Win10 home, version 1709 build 16299.611, cable internet hookup, loads of free hard disk area: >1.5 TByte). Here is the latest update attempt information to see if someone can suggest...
  7. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709: Hello all your great peoples. I have a problem with Windows 10 update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" After update Windows want to restart and then i get "Windows Boot Manager" screen where i need to choose between "Windows Setup" and "Windows 10" (See...
  8. Feature update windows 10 version 1709

Feature update windows 10 version 1709: It downloads then tries to install but said I need to fix issue first click on fix issue . When i click fix issue it starts over again and when done says can not update? Have done this numerous times and still wont download or install this update. 99104
  9. Feature update version 1709 problem

Feature update version 1709 problem: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 pro Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.936) on an Acer Travelmate P253 Laptop. According to the Acer information, update to Windows 10, version 1709 is not compatible with my Laptop.So, I downloaded and used the "Show or Hide Updates tool"...
  10. Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709

Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709: I have Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.726 . The Feature update 1709 says it is downloading on my Laptop, but it hasn't moved from 0% for a full day (10 hours)...any advice would be welcome as I think it should have moved on by now. 99569

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update assistant stuck at 96%

2. Windows 10 Home feature update 1902 hits 96 and fails

3. windows update assistant stuck at 96%

4. windows installation media stuck at 96%,
  5. windows 10 pro version 1607 downloads Windows 10 pro version 1909 but when istallong gets to 75% the stops and computer freezes,
  6. windows updates stuck 96% download,
  7. windows update stuck on 96% for hours,
  8. downloading KB4103720 stuck at 96% windows 10,
  9. windows update stops in 60% 1709 windows 10,
  10. windows 10 update stalled at 96%,
  11. (KB4103720) 96%,
  12. feature update to windows 10 version 1903 96%,
  13. windows 10 1803 stuck at 96%,
  14. feature update restart 1709,
  15. windows 10 clean install stuck at 96%