Windows 10: Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails

Discus and support Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I.have two PCs that are almost identical in hardware configuration terms. They are both Dell Precision 490 workstations but one is dual processor,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobRJP, May 12, 2019.

1. BobRJP Win User

Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails

I.have two PCs that are almost identical in hardware configuration terms. They are both Dell Precision 490 workstations but one is dual processor, has more memory and more disks but pretty well EXACTLY the same software. Starting with v1803 i started having problems performing feature updates on the higher spec PC of the two, the lower spec PC updated just fine. I tried ALL of the recommended ways of doing the update (including downloading the microsoft media tool and doing the update from DVD) but after doing a large number of attempts to upgrade, all would fail with the message “installation failed” and i would be returned to the previous version. Extremely frustrated by this i eventually did the upgrade by taking a copy of the working upgraded system from the lower spec PC and copying it to a partition on the higher spec PC. The hardware differences between the two systems were resolved on first boot.

i had hoped that the problem would not re-occur on future feature upgrades, but sure enough when v1809 came along it was the same story. The lower spec PC upgraded first time using Windows Update, the higher spec PC however refused to upgrade even when i used the microsoft media creation tool (MMC). However this time around i DID notice that when doing the upgrade using the MMC tool that it wasnt until the PC came to reboot for the first time that the installation failed. So learning from my v1803 solution i took an SSD with the system on it that i wanted to upgrade out of the higher spec PC, put it into the lower spec PC as an extra disk, booted it and did the upgrade. Everything went just fine. So i conclude from this that its not the content of the software on the system thats causing the problem, but the issue lies in some other difference in the environment on the two PCs, and that it likely relates to how the system boots.

This week the May windows update is due and I am expecting feature update v1903 to become available. I am expecting to have the same problem occur again on my higher spec PC. However having looked for differences that could affect how the system boots I have noticed that the position of the System Reserved partition is different on the two PCs. On the lower spec PC the System Reserved partition is on the first partition on the first disk. On the higher spec PC the System Reserved partition is on the third partition on the second disk. And I am wondering if this is what is causing the boot problem at the end of the installation. So this time I intend to move the System Reserved partition to be the first partition on the the first disk on the higher spec system to see if that fixes the problem.

Be interested if anyone from Microsoft could comment on the position of the System Reserved partition being the cause of my problems ?. (By the way I have an old style BIOS and not a UEFI one.)

:)

BobRJP, May 12, 2019

2. 1709 Feature Update repeatedly fails

I have been having a persistent problem installing the Feature Update to Windows 10 version 1709 on Windows 10 Pro. I have updated drivers and tried several approaches but nothing seems to change the basic behavior, which is a “Reference_by_pointer” blue
    screen following the “Working on updates” portion of the update procedure. My Update history currently features 9 failed attempts at this update, with four listed as “requires a restart to finish installing” and the other five listed as failed. The about screen
    lists Version 1703 OS Build 15063.966.

Thank you for your help!

Jonsie_128, May 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 12, 2019
  4. Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails

windows backup is repeatedly failing

windows backup is repeatedly failing due to some spp and vss problem. show step by step how to clear the problem and continue backup

anjaneyamurthynarumanchi, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails

1. Feature Update v1809 Repeatedly Fails - Similar Threads - Feature Update v1809

2. Windows 10 feature update repeatedly fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 feature update repeatedly fails: Sony Vaio 64 bit laptop running Windows 10. Windows feature update repeatedly failing and retrying so laptop virtually unusable. Update files seem to be downloaded OK, Install seems to complete however when restarted the process fails and undoes updates. Error code...
  3. Windows 10 feature update repeatedly fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 feature update repeatedly fails: Sony Vaio 64 bit laptop running Windows 10. Windows feature update repeatedly failing and retrying so laptop virtually unusable. Update files seem to be downloaded OK, Install seems to complete however when restarted the process fails and undoes updates. Error code...
  4. Windows 10 feature update repeatedly fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Updates fail - repeatedly loop

Updates fail - repeatedly loop: My Win 10 pro laptop is unable to update - "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes"What fixes are missing ?I am trying to install KB5004237 and am stuck in a reboot cycle...
  6. Windows feature update to Windows 10 version 2004 repeatedly fails

Windows feature update to Windows 10 version 2004 repeatedly fails: After being offered the 2004 update for a couple of weeks now, I've noticed that it repeatedly fails install. I tried a number of troubleshooting steps, all with no resolution. The Windows Update Troubleshooter can't find a problem. I've also tried the Media Creation Tool...
  7. Multiple Failed Windows Updates after v1809

Multiple Failed Windows Updates after v1809: I've had issues updating Windows after the v1809 update. Both 1903 and 1909 have both failed to install. Looking for some possible solutions.[ATTACH]...
  8. Cumulative Update Repeatedly Fails

Cumulative Update Repeatedly Fails: A cumulative Windows update fails repeatedly to install. It asks me to quote: 2019-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4507435) -Error 0x80080008 Any ideas?...
  9. win-10 feature update fails repeatedly

win-10 feature update fails repeatedly: Get error 0x80004005 How do I fix the problem - I don't know exactly what the problem is Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-feature-update-fails-repeatedly/9df3188d-8306-46c6-9fa4-f392d6a43009
  10. Windows Feature Update 1803 repeatedly fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Feature Update 1803 repeatedly fails: For over a year Feature Update 1803 has failed to install. Every few weeks (sometimes more frequently) it tries to install and fails. It tries several times and then stops for awhile before trying again. The initial error says Memory Management. In the update history it says:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update 1803 fails repeatedly