Windows 10: Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant?

Discus and support Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Next time if I need to upgrade to the next Windows 10 feature upgrade using Upgrade Assistant and selecting the option to remove all my personal files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10freak, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant?

Next time if I need to upgrade to the next Windows 10 feature upgrade using Upgrade Assistant and selecting the option to remove all my personal files and settings, will this option also remove all my Group Policy settings?

Or is this option for only personal customizations and settings only or includes system wide settings such as Group Policies?

:)

win10freak, Aug 12, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%

The problem is caused by the Windows 7 updates.

Before using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, perform these steps:

• set Windows 7 updates to "Never install updates".
    • Stop the update service by right clicking on the command prompt, and choose "Run as administrator".
    • Type

It should say: "Windows update service is stopping....windows update service is stopped."

Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant? 852Gr.png

After completing the above steps, start the Windows 10 Upgrade assistant, and it should complete.

Anthony Cappucci, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Shoaib Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%

Here is what I've learnt about upgrading to Windows 10, in the past few days.

Media Creation Tool

The good thing is that the upgrade completes smoothly once the download has completed.

The bad thing is that it doesn't resume interrupted downloads. The download is over 3GB which is almost 3x the amount downloaded by UpgradeAssistant.

Common Problems<br>
    Once interrupted (esp. crashed or rebooted) you won't be able to launch the tool again without manually deleting the $Windows.BT and $Windows.~WS folders first. However, in order to delete these folders you'll need to use Process Explorer (from sysinternals) and forcefully close all open handles to files in these folders. Search for "$Windows." and close every handle that you find.

In my case, after each interruption (I had four) it would add 3.02GB to the download - basically start downloading +1 BITSXYZ.tmp files. With 5 downloads of over 15GB I had to say goodbye to this method as nothing I did could reset the tool to its initial state.

Don't use this method unless you have a reliable power-source and good internet.

Upgrade Assistant App

Very good at resuming broken downloads and it downloads only what is needed for your system therefore a much faster method. The downside is that the upgrade isn't a smooth process.

Common Problems<br>
    Upgrade will get stuck at 99% and there doesn't seem to be a single solution that works for everyone. First, its better to resolve missing driver issues before upgrading (as suggested by other answers). Here is what I did to get past 99%.

1. Let it run for sufficiently long time say 3 hours.
    2. Set startup type for the windows service: "Windows Update" to "manual" for the duration of the upgrade, this will prevent it restarting itself when you perform the next step.
    3. Stop the windows service: "Windows Update" and wait a couple of minutes
    4. If this doesn't help start the service again.
    5. Use process-explorer to kill SetupHost.exe that is a child of WindowsUpgradeAssistantApp.exe.
    6. Wait for the assistant to report "Something went wrong," and use the "Try Again" option. This should repeat the usual download, verify and install cycle except that at about 45% a blue interface will popup.

The new popup UI will start in "Getting Updates," phase and believe it or not there are far more reported incidents of that getting stuck. To resolve it:

1. Stop "Windows Update" service
    2. Clear all contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"
    3. Start the service again (if needed).

This should hopefully unblock the tool, but it will come back to the "Getting Updates" state again. Give it some time and if it gets stuck again, follow Step 1 and 3-4.

Once past this point the "real upgrade" would begin and hopefully that would be a smooth process.

Shoaib, Aug 12, 2019
  4. bruins004 Win User

Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant?

Upgrading my PC, need some help though..

I agree with HookeyStreet.
    You also have to indicate what processor you currently have and the socket. If you are looking not to upgrade your PSU for a while I suggest getting one that is a little more than you will require (ex: like a 520W), but you could prob. get away with a good 450W. Please list your specs so we may be of more assistance

bruins004, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant?

1. Feature upgrades using Upgrade Assistant? - Similar Threads - Feature upgrades using

2. How To Upgrade to Windows 11 Using the Installation Assistant?

in Windows 10 News
    How To Upgrade to Windows 11 Using the Installation Assistant?: Microsoft has been known to provide handy tools to assist users. One such tool is the installation assistant to help when installing Windows 11. It is one of the fastest ways to install the latest operating system on your computer. This article will look at the installation...
  3. Encountered 0xc0000409 while upgrading to windows 11 using windows upgrade assistant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encountered 0xc0000409 while upgrading to windows 11 using windows upgrade assistant: HiI wanted to get the new windows 11 but I can’t wait for the default windows update system to let me update so I went on to the Microsoft Windows 11 page to learn more.I found out that except waiting, I can either use the iso or the assistant so I download the assistant,...
  4. Encountered 0xc0000409 while upgrading to windows 11 using windows upgrade assistant

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encountered 0xc0000409 while upgrading to windows 11 using windows upgrade assistant: HiI wanted to get the new windows 11 but I can’t wait for the default windows update system to let me update so I went on to the Microsoft Windows 11 page to learn more.I found out that except waiting, I can either use the iso or the assistant so I download the assistant,...
  5. Encountered 0xc0000409 while upgrading to windows 11 using windows upgrade assistant

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant in parts

Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant in parts: Windows was to be re installed on my PC. Due to some problems in my Windows 20h2 media, I had to install 1607 from another media. Now, I am on Windows 10 1607 and wanted to upgrade my PC to 20h2, so I used upgrade assistant. It was on 87% and my daily data exhausted. I want...
  7. Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant: Split from this thread. I am having a similar but not exact issue.... Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant direct from within WIndows. After the download, verification, and install process I was greeted with the initial Win 10 logo along with...
  8. Upgrading from 1507 to 1803 using the Assistant

Upgrading from 1507 to 1803 using the Assistant: So I need to upgrade my Dell Latitude 7450 Laptop to Windows 10 Version 1507 to Version 1803 using the assistant. Will it successfully update to 1803 using the Windows 10 update assistant. And if it does will I lose some files?...
  9. problem with upgrade assistant

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    problem with upgrade assistant: Just a simple question. I would not mind updating but that particular Windows installation started as a Windows-to-go installation on a USB hard disk. I wanted to have a "live Windows installation" (as opposed to a live CD) with many tools for service. I then decided the disk...
  10. ten upgrade assistance

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    ten upgrade assistance: Does my Ten need to have Upgrade Assistance after update was installed? 80802