Windows 10: Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Discus and support Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have been having problems with my file explorer for about 3 weeks now. I can open the explorer, see my folders, open folders, and even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CaseyHamilton, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hello,

I have been having problems with my file explorer for about 3 weeks now. I can open the explorer, see my folders, open folders, and even files. But after a few minutes of using it, it gets hung up. It usually stops working after I open one file, then I have to close file explorer and open it again and start over. I'm not good with computers, but have looked up things online. I have gone in the file explorer options and unchecked the two boxes for recently and frequently used folders. I have changed it to PC from Quick Access. Still not working properly. Help!

:)

CaseyHamilton, Mar 2, 2019
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Mar 2, 2019
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Mar 2, 2019
  4. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

File Explorer Keeps Freezing with .docx FIles

Can't link the File Converter - I guess because it does not show up as a "program" - so it does not show up in the list as an option.

And of course, if I click on a .docx file in File Explorer, it freezes up. It used to not do that - that's the issue I want to fix in the first place, hence my post here.

Anyone know how to uninstall the File Converter when it does not show up in the programs list?

RLynn Shell, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

1. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file - Similar Threads - Feb 2019 File

2. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  3. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  4. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer keeps not opening: My file explorer is not opening at all. It will just flash then immediately close. Nothing you can click. It happened a long time before and resolve itself. Now, I dont want to wait for it to resolve itself since I need to open my files inside it. Please help me. How can I...
  6. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps not opening: My file explorer is not opening at all. It will just flash then immediately close. Nothing you can click. It happened a long time before and resolve itself. Now, I dont want to wait for it to resolve itself since I need to open my files inside it. Please help me. How can I...
  7. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files: So I have just started getting this issue in the last few days. The last modification I had to any files or anything in my system was deleting some old save files from a game I've played. However, ever since then when I open File Explorer and try to open a file, it...
  9. FIle Explorer keeps freezing

FIle Explorer keeps freezing: This morning Windows Update applied 3 updates, KB4484126 for Office, KB4484238 for Office, and KB4549951 for WIndows 1909. Since then File Explorer has repeatedly locked up. It will quit displaying file previews in the preview pane, sometimes it won't even show the files in...
  10. File Explorer keeps freezing

File Explorer keeps freezing: When I open the File Explorer, I can see my folders and files. However a few minutes later File Explorer freezes. So I have to close the File Explorer then start it again...