Windows 10: Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC

Discus and support Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So hard to say this succinctly -- but I'll try. I have a former PC, running up to date software. I picked 3 folders (one that's very large) and copied... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC

So hard to say this succinctly -- but I'll try.

I have a former PC, running up to date software. I picked 3 folders (one that's very large) and copied them to my external hard drive. I never checked to see if they arrived but the progress bars suggested they did.

I shut down old PC, booted the new one, the drive is visible and what had been on the drive is visible. But the 3 folders? Nowhere to be found. And I'm pretty sure the available space on that drive did decrease by the correct amound.

1. Selecting/de-selecting hidden files did nothing.
    2. The former PC went to sleep while doing the last giant folder... and I'm wondering if that screwed something up. But still wouldn't it show the first two small folders in that scenario.

I'm going to try this again by just moving one folder and seeing what happens. I'd be glad for any tips while I do that dance.

(My kingdom for a second monitor, lol.)

:)

The Pool Man, Dec 19, 2020
  2. beyonddc Win User

Upgrading home PC, how to move VirtualBox VMs in a data drive to the new PC

I am upgrading my home PC. On my current PC, all my VirtualBox VMs reside on a data drive separate from the primary OS drive. The current PC uses Windows 10 and the new PC will also be using Windows 10.

I have about 30 VirtualBox VMs on that data drive. My question is if I can do the transition using the method listed below.

• Move data drive to the new PC
    • Assign the data drive with the same drive name (e.g. DFiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC :)
    • Install the same version of VirtualBox I have right now onto the new computer
    • Move my .VirtualBox directory from C:\Users\foo\.VirtualBox to my new PC

beyonddc, Dec 19, 2020
  3. graye Win User
    Have external hard drive from old pc. Need to move favorites to new windows 10 pc IE

So, I assume you have a way to connect this hard drive to your new system? If so, then you can use the File Explorer on the new Windows 10 PC and navigate to D:\Users\xxxxxx\Favorites (where xxxxx is your user name on the old PC).

When you find that location, you can just do a copy-n-paste from the D:\ drive (the old PC's drive) to the C:\ drive (the new Windows 10 PC)

graye, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC

Have external hard drive from old pc. Need to move favorites to new windows 10 pc IE

Hi,

Have removed external hard drive from old Vista crashed pc. Need to move favorites from the hard drive to the new windows 10 pc using IE.

Thanks,

Joe

jdelaney77, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC

1. Fiiles moved off old PC onto ext. drive aren't seen on new PC - Similar Threads - Fiiles moved off

2. Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from old PC with Win10 to new PC with Win11: I bought Windows 10 Home in in 2017 on Microsoft Store. When Windows 11 came around, it told me that my PC doesn't meet the requirements. Finally I have built a new PC and installed Windows 11. I want to deactivate Windows 10 on my old PC and activate Windows 11 to my new...
  3. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  4. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  5. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. SSD Moved from old to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SSD Moved from old to new PC: Hello, I recently built a new computer and moved my SSD that contained my windows install from the old to the new computer. Everything boots fine, but I'm getting the notifications that my copy of windows is not genuine and that I need to provide a windows key. I never had to...
  7. Moving Fonts from OLD PC to NEW

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Fonts from OLD PC to NEW: Hiya, I have a new PC and want all the additional fonts I added to my old PC. How does one... do that? https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...ter-to-another That article provides a method. But it implies you must pick and choose which you want to move. I want to skip that...
  8. New pc with old drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New pc with old drive: I Just installed windows onto my pc and I have an old drive with all my stuff. How can I open all my programs from my old drive because they are not appearing on windows?...
  9. Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving old HDD to new PC with Windows: I have an old computer I wish to move the HDD from to a new computer that is already running Windows 10 on it. I'd like to be able to save all the data on the old HDD and use the Windows 10 installation that already exists on the new computer rather than the old HDD. My...
  10. i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to move an old hdd with windows 10 pro onto a new pc with a new motherboard: I have built a new pc, but all it needs is an os. Since the pc that i am using right now has a windows 10 pro (digital activation) os i was really hoping that i could just put the hdd in my pc right now into my new pc, but i did some research on it and it seems that there...