Windows 10: File access via Windows explorer slow

Discus and support File access via Windows explorer slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Any file access via Windows explorer Windows 10 has become painfully slow in the last week or so. This happens if I am just expanding the file tree on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveGoff2, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DaveGoff2 Win User

File access via Windows explorer slow

Any file access via Windows explorer Windows 10 has become painfully slow in the last week or so. This happens if I am just expanding the file tree on the left or if I am clicking on a file. It also affects any open or save actions from within programs.

Things to note are:

1. Using FreeCommander file explorer does not have the same problems with search and double click.
    2. If I disconnect from the network/router Windows explorer works at "the usual" expected speed.

I'm running Windows 10 off an SSD, the PC has 2 other SSD drives and 2 SATA drives and I have a Synology NAS connected via the router.

Any help very welcome.

:)

DaveGoff2, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. File access via Windows explorer slow - Similar Threads - File access via

2. Windows Explorer slow to select a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer slow to select a file: When selecting a file, in Windows Explorer, the blue donut, is displayed for about 7 seconds, before the file can be opened. See image below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-slow-to-select-a-file/334d8005-46a8-4670-94f3-850e3120178c
  3. Slow File Explorer fixed via clearing AutomaticDesinations?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow File Explorer fixed via clearing AutomaticDesinations?: Ever since 3 days ago, I've had an issue where file explorer takes a long time to load if a click on a file, but is snappy if I click on anything else. I did download an ASUS 'EZflash' firmware update around this time, so that may be a culprit. I've tried every google...
  4. USB Drive not Accessible via windows explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive not Accessible via windows explorer: For the last few days i am encountering a strange problem. I am trying to plug in various USB devices into my computer. it show the drive letter & also is visible in disk management but when i try to access it it shows access denied. but when i try to access same devices...
  5. Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing OneDrive files in Windows Explorer veeeeeeery slow: For over a week, no idea what could have been the cause, my Windows Explorer has been extremely slow when clicking on a file in a folder managed by OneDrive. As soon as I go to a folder in Explorer that is maintained by OneDrive, I can click on folders and subfolders in the...
  6. Windows explorer slow file search

in Cortana
    Windows explorer slow file search: The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file search software full of options....
  7. A Faulty Windows File Explorer *Slow*

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A Faulty Windows File Explorer *Slow*: Hi, this is actually my first time writing here so I hope you understand if I made any mistakes. So starting off, I'd like to report a problem regarding to File Explorer. It seems to run smoothly, opening folders, searching etc. But the problem starts really, whenever I...
  8. Accessing a new File Explorer library via "shell" command

Accessing a new File Explorer library via "shell" command: I have created a library using File Explorer called "Downloads Library." What I'd like to do is open this library in a similar way as "shell:DocumentsLibrary." However, there does not seem to be a default shell "shortcut" for this library I created. Is the only remedy for...
  9. Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is access to files in Explorer so horrifically slow?: This is sadly a topic I've seen complained about many How is it that the world's best (supposedly) OS, windows 10, can't manage to let me open a folder of music files and like click on "album" to list files by album without making me wait literally 5 to 10 minutes for that...
  10. Access Win10 PC via Android ES File Explorer

Access Win10 PC via Android ES File Explorer: How do I log into my Windows 10 PC using ES File Explorer over my home WiFi? [img] I get there using ES File Explorer but where the hell do I go to find those credentials?????? Cookbook instructions: move pointer here, click this, select that, check this box,...