Windows 10: File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help

Discus and support File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; so I am doing a bunch of file sorting/editing. problem I'm facing is the action I do gets undone by windows and I'm not sure what is causing this.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by m18xr2, Jun 9, 2020.

1. m18xr2 Win User

File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help

so I am doing a bunch of file sorting/editing. problem I'm facing is the action I do gets undone by windows and I'm not sure what is causing this. lists below:

- deleted files into bin would be moved back
    - renamed files change it's name back
    - copy and pasted file would disappear
    - moved files would move back to its prior location

my guess is some sort of corruption in undo thats tied to memory? but corruption in what? has anyone experienced this before and know how to fix this?

:)

m18xr2, Jun 9, 2020

2. Batch Rename Deletes Files

Hey all,

I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night, and I've been playing around with the new File Explorer. One thing I tried was the batch rename function (by which I mean just selecting multiple files and clicking "rename"). I quickly realized that it behaves differently than in Windows 8, where re-renaming a previously batch renamed file group would cause all files in the group after the first to start scaling up from what would have been the last number in the group before the rename. (So for example, if you had "file (1), file (2), and file (3)" and group renamed them to "file", the new names would be "file (1), file (4), file (5)".)

Windows 10 corrects this problem and renames the files properly, except that it seems to adjust their orders erratically. When I observed this reordering, I tried to reverse it by clicking "Undo Rename". My PC gave me a warning message saying that undoing would cause some of the files to have the same name as other files, so I clicked "Skip" for all of those files. The effect of this was to delete all offending files in the group (almost all of them), and they seem to have been permanently deleted, because they did not end up in my recycle bin.

It's not a big deal in this case because those files weren't super important, but I do find this behavior alarming. Is there a way to correct the batch rename feature, or in the alternative, to at least recover the files it deleted?

HochDeutsch, Jun 9, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jun 9, 2020
  4. File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help

File renamer utility?

Is there a good file renamer utility that's safe to use anyone could recommend? I used to use Gizmo's list for app suggestions but this particular application has not been reviewed in several years, so I don't know if those apps are safe to use or not.

I have many files I need to rename but keep the individuality of the names. For instance, I need to rename all files in a particular folder from yyyy.mm.pdf to AMEXyyyy.mm.pdf keeping the yyyy.mm data unique. Another folder has a ton of files that need to be renamed from yyyy.mm.pdf to Visayyyy.mm.pdf.

I had all this figured out a month or so back but have already forgotten how I did it using an arcane script in either cmd prompt or powershell, I can't remember which. And now I'm drawing a blank how to do it. Again. smh. So I thought a nice freeware file renamer might help me out.

speedlever, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help

1. File action gets reversed ie deletion, move, rename etc, pls help - Similar Threads - File action gets

2. Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, move or rename .ogg files.: Trying to rename results in file explorer crashing whilst moving or deleting is just perma stuck at 0%. File Explorer is stuck at "Cancelling" on move operations. I have tried everything that has been posted about this issue before and nothing works. I tried:- Uninstalling...
  3. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  4. can not delete or move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can not delete or move or rename pdf file: I have a pdf file on my desktop with a very long name that I cannot delete, rename, or move. Every attempt fails. I get no error message telling me that the file is in use by another program...it simply won't disappear or allow me to change its name. I have tried running...
  5. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  6. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot delete, move or rename pdf file: I have tried SFC, DISM, safe mode and disabling Enhanced security in Adobe Reader to remove the PDF file, but to no avail. The file is in Downloads folder of Windows 10, Lenovo laptop Any suggestions please?...
  7. cannot delete, move or rename pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  9. File Explorer won't let me open, move, delete, rename, etc any of my files

File Explorer won't let me open, move, delete, rename, etc any of my files: File Explorer won't let me open, move, rename, or delete my files. It just freezes and says "Not Responding" so I have to exit out of File Explorer. If I need to open a word document I have to open Word and find the file that way. I feel as though this didn't start...
  10. A file cant be moved, deleted, and renamed. Please help.

A file cant be moved, deleted, and renamed. Please help.: While I rearranged the video and music files to each folders, I noticed some files won't moved to different folder. The display message is actually telling me its working on it but it does not progress from 0%. I tried delete and rename them as well but within 5 seconds,...