Windows 10: File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

Discus and support File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been going nuts with this. For the past 3 days I have been getting messages saying I do not have permission to write in directories where I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by slowtrain, Dec 18, 2016.

1. slowtrain Win User

File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

I have been going nuts with this. For the past 3 days I have been getting messages saying I do not have permission to write in directories where I am listed as the owner. I have ensured that the users MyuserID, Administrators, and SYSTEM all have Full control over the directory. I have also made sure that the parent directories also give these users full control. I could live with this and just escalate my privileges each time I create a file. However I run some apps that need to write into some of these directories and they cant. I have checked that the application process is run under my userID and has the need permission, however it still can not write to these directories.

Is this a known bug that has recently been created? Is there some new Group or User that needs to be given permission to modify the directory. This seems to be a problem on some machines, but not others. Any help would be much appreciated. Since this just started without any changes by me, I am assuming that some Windows update is the cause.

:)

slowtrain, Dec 18, 2016

2. Access Denied when accessing to an external hard drive disk

Thanks for your reply. I tried your steps but I can't edit permissions in the security tab like in other files or dirs because I don't have permissions. I'm administrator. It only occurs in that drive after upgrade to Windows 10.

Antonio.CD, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    Failure to enumerate objects in the container Access denied

Hi Steve,

In Windows 10, we can set our stuff public or private by permissions. And it’s easy to set on the file’s properties. But sometimes, when you want to change its permissions, some error occurs. Failed to Enumerate Objects in the Container. But take it easy,
    here we are going to tell you the quick and effective way to fix it. Kindly follow the steps below to change the settings:

• Right-click on the file or folder you want to change its permissions, then choose Properties.
    • Click Advanced under Security pane.
    • Click Change.
    • Type your user name in the box, then click Check Names and OK.
    • Check this two items: Replace owner on sub-containers and objects & Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object, then click OK.
    • If prompted by Windows Security, click Yes.

Now you can change permissions for your files normally now.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Dec 18, 2016
  4. File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

Welcome to the Ten forums.

Have you check your Update history. Are any updates failing?

While I can't comment on known bug, others may have more info, do you have restore points enabled? If so would you consider invoking system restore as you seem to have a handle on when it started.

Obviously updates will simply re-initiate. You may consider changing what updates you receive. Make it just windows and do not included other products (ie., drivers). This will rule out drivers or "Other" patches.

Do you use any software to Image your OS / Data? If not, a number of individuals on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect. You may also want to review the tutorial section. Macrium is free to home users. It is easy to use and can quickly get you back to a known working system.

Caledon Ken, Dec 18, 2016
Thema:

File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect

1. File and Dir security permission settings not taking effect - Similar Threads - File Dir security

2. How configure permission scan dir and files without reading the files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How configure permission scan dir and files without reading the files: Hi, how can I configure Windows to allow scanning and display permissions of directories, subdirectories and files on an entire volume so that the contents of files cannot be viewed/read or changed at the same time? icacls ? but how ? [Version 10.0.19043.1083] Thx, J. 183447
  3. setting file permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    setting file permissions: Is there a way of doing "chmod 600" and "chmod 700" on Windows 10? I need to set these permissions for the key pair I need to make ssh passwordless. I've looked at answers posted here but none are very recent and seems very manual and tedious. There is no command? Ideally,...
  4. Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing Touchpad Settings but changes aren't taking effect: So my touchpad one day started being weird. It is super unresponsive to tap touch, and also i've lost right click unless I tap with two fingers... I open up touchpad settings and I have now realised that no matter what I do, the changes I make simply don't change anything. I...
  5. Registry not taking effect?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry not taking effect?: I made some changes in the registry lately, but they still haven't taken effect. I rebooted my computer, changed permissions for the registry key, but they still don't work. I am very confused, this key has worked perfectly fine in the past, and I have no idea why it's not...
  6. Security settings and permissions for administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Security settings and permissions for administrator accounts: Hi! For the past few weeks, I was having problems in writing files in My Documents or any of its sub-folders. If A and B are two folders under Documents, and I want to move/copy a file from A to B, I was not permitted to do that. I had to first move/copy it to Downloads,...
  7. What is going on with W10 Updates and their effect on Drivers/Security/Permissions?

What is going on with W10 Updates and their effect on Drivers/Security/Permissions?: For the past couple weeks Davinci Resolve doesn't have write Permissions, Adobe Premiere Pro won't work/let me save, Reaper won't let me save. Drivers aren't working on anything new that I install and even when I direct the Device Manager to the exact folder with the plugin...
  8. Settings aren't taking effect

Settings aren't taking effect: Basically I'm trying to get rid of the delay between pressing a key and being able to use the mouse. When I pressing keys I can't use the mouse at the same time - there is a short delay until the touchpad kicks into action. Very annoying when playing games. I fixed it before,...
  9. Mouse custom settings don't take effect on startup

Mouse custom settings don't take effect on startup: I have a Microsoft Mouse (Microsoft M03-00090 Wireless Optical Mouse 5000) with customizable buttons that can be set via the Mouse and Keyboard Center. In Windows 7, all worked fine, but after upgrading to Windows 10, every time I turn the computer on, or restart it, the...
  10. Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files: Apologies if this topic has previously been discussed, but my search didn't yield helpful results. In attempting (unsuccessfully) to install a citrix plugin for remote desktop, I'm discovering that advanced security settings for Program Files are screwed up, but I am...