Windows 10: File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library

Discus and support File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I realize the title isn't very clear...hopefully I can elaborate. I'm in the process of configuring my new win10 install the way I like things like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xwray, Sep 25, 2016.

1. xwray Win User

File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library

I realize the title isn't very clear...hopefully I can elaborate.

I'm in the process of configuring my new win10 install the way I like things like I did with win7. Win 10 seems to make that a bit more difficult but I'm about where I want to be. I have several drives in my system one of which is where all of my data and media is stored. I pointed the win10 "known folders" music, pictures, video, and documents to the appropriate folders
    on that drive so that all of the items appear when I open one of those folders.

My problem is that now those folders have now become "invisible" when I browse the drive with file explorer. Is this by design...I can't imagine it was done on purpose but if it was, is there any setting or registry hack that will allow the folders and files to be visible in "both places".

Or, am I just looking at this the wrong way...any help getting me to look at it the right way will be appreciated.

:)

xwray, Sep 25, 2016
  2. vilu85 Win User

" Waiting for approval " until when !????

It means that it's waiting for approval from your operator and it has nothing to do with Nokia.

You could call your operator and ask about this approval, someone in technical service may know that how long it takes to approve the newest firmware. (For some reason, every operator has to approve the firmware updates and only after that their clients
    can do the update)

vilu85, Sep 25, 2016
  3. ATGT Win User
    " Waiting for approval " until when !????

Hi

i have a nokia N8 with the following product code 059D1M2 im always checking for the update realase , now its been a month evryday i check the updates availability i find " Waiting for approval" is nokia joking on us or what !!?

4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you shouldn't need to do anything with the registry to view folders.
    Could you confirm this means you did this?

File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library [​IMG]

If you can provide a couple of screenshots, that might help to understand what you've done and what you're seeing.

Coming from Win 7, especially if you upgraded rather than clean installed, you may find using the Classic Shell (free) start menu. This really works, whereas Win 10's doesn't if you have folders and subfolders in your start menu.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    Did you include the Folders on D:\ Drive in the Library , with the Add to Library option or have you moved the Libraries OFF C:\ to D:\ ?

Both work for me no problem.... and I frequently access the Folders directly in File Explorer too.

(assuming D:\ (above) is the other drive you mention? could be e:>z: of course too)

Kbird, Sep 25, 2016
  6. xwray Win User
    The libraries were always on drive F. I used the "change location" function to point the the library on the F drive. The folders in the library immediately popped up in the File Explorer quick access area which was fine. BUT, when I browsed to the F drive with file explorer, the library folder had disappeared.

I did some additional troubleshooting and found out what happened - actually, it was so simple I'm kinda embarrassed about it having stared at the directory a LOT. Win10, in it's infinite wisdom and "I know what's best for you attitude" changed the name of the main folder from Library Folders to Camera Roll (I think that's what it was) and I was so fixated on finding out what happened to the Library Folders I never even thought to check for a name change.

I think it's pretty darn presumptuous for Microsoft to unilaterally arbitrarily change the names of folders that aren't even located on the system drive!

I would never have considered changing from Win 7 who always left me alone to Win10 who seems determined to do it it's way if it hadn't been for the fact that Microsoft appears to be unable to fix it's ridiculous update problem which causes Win7 updates to take hours/days if at all to update Win 7 systems.

Anyhow, thanks for the help...I'll not be taking anything Win 10 for granted from here on out.

xwray, Sep 25, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    I have most of mine on F: too but each library has it's own Folder ie Pictures,Music,Video etc .

I have Camera Roll too , it is inside Pictures though , all the Pics from my Phone, but maybe I changed something?

I will have to check my other computer and see what is on that one.....

In earlier Win10 editions I found it was making it own Libraries too but not in AU , that I noticed.

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library - Similar Threads - File directories disappear

2. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update: The latest Windows update has turned the usual easy business of manually resizing file directory columns into a nightmare. Now if I resize a column manually with my mouse, it covers up the columns to the right. This apparently has something to do with the fact that Windows...
  3. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update: The latest Windows update has turned the usual easy business of manually resizing file directory columns into a nightmare. Now if I resize a column manually with my mouse, it covers up the columns to the right. This apparently has something to do with the fact that Windows...
  4. File Directory Columns disappearing after latest update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. TouchPredictions Registry library when added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TouchPredictions Registry library when added: i would like to know what version of windows the TouchPredictions library was made/and or added to the registry library https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpredictions-registry-library-when-added/40c0ad22-48a6-4e4c-b42c-5829ec4351da
  6. TouchPredictions Registry library when added

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TouchPredictions Registry library when added: i would like to know what version of windows the TouchPredictions library was made/and or added to the registry library https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpredictions-registry-library-when-added/40c0ad22-48a6-4e4c-b42c-5829ec4351da
  7. Adding to library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding to library: so I have Minecraft java and i want bedrock so i go to the microsoft store and ask for permission and its allowed but its been sitting on working on it for a couple of hours or so so I have java Minecraft and I wanted bedrock so i went to Microsoft store and did buy the I...
  8. Files Disappearing from Desktop directory??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files Disappearing from Desktop directory??: A few months back a folder that I had sitting on my desktop that contained months worth of previous project files was essentially "cleared out". Recently I had a few whitepapers (.pdf) sitting on my desktop and they have disappeared. In both cases I checked if they became...
  9. Can't add a directory to a library

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't add a directory to a library: Hi, I keep all my videos on a separate HD. I tried to add the folder of these movies to the default videos directory, but my instruction hasn't been honored. I got no error message or any other response. Why is it so? How can I solve this nuisance? 77538
  10. New files added in GWX directory

in Windows 10 Support
    New files added in GWX directory: [img] I just noticed some change in the Get Windows 10 app.. 8920