Windows 10: File and folder count are incorrect after copy

Discus and support File and folder count are incorrect after copy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Did a win10 copy of files and folders as a manual backup to an external disk. Source 2k8 server (via unc path) and destination win10 laptop with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by user1010, Mar 10, 2020.

1. user1010 Win User

File and folder count are incorrect after copy

Did a win10 copy of files and folders as a manual backup to an external disk.
    Source 2k8 server (via unc path) and destination win10 laptop with external usb drive.
    Did properties on the main destination folder and the source afterwards and could see that there was a different in size and amount of files.

Did a new copy with robocopy and at the end on the summary it did successfully copy of all files. The amount is correct.
    If I choose properties on the main destination folder, size and amount of files is incorrect.

Searched for a example file name~4.pdf file in the log file and it did copy that file.
    If I check the same destination folder for the pdf file I can't see the file but I can see it on the source.
    Show hidden file is activated.
    The file isn't listed with dir in cmd (destination folder).

So the file/dir count seems to be wrong and it doesn't show all files.
    Any ideas?

:)

user1010, Mar 10, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Mar 10, 2020
  4. File and folder count are incorrect after copy

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

File and folder count are incorrect after copy

1. File and folder count are incorrect after copy - Similar Threads - File folder count

2. How to get count of file types in Pictures folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get count of file types in Pictures folder?: How do I get a list of all the file type extensions in a folder?For example for the Pictures folder, I would like to see what file types exist in the folder, how many files of that type, and how much disk space that file type is using?some thing likeD:\users\XXX\Pictures all...
  3. How to get count of file types in Pictures folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get count of file types in Pictures folder?: How do I get a list of all the file type extensions in a folder?For example for the Pictures folder, I would like to see what file types exist in the folder, how many files of that type, and how much disk space that file type is using?some thing likeD:\users\XXX\Pictures all...
  4. How to get count of file types in Pictures folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Copies in Folders

File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  6. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  7. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.

File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.: Hello, I found several cases reporting the same bug on the Internet but did not find a solution so far. I have Windows 10 home edition on my PC and File Explorer > Properties reports wrong file count and folder volume if the folders that have subfolders. Does anybody know...
  9. File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10)

File Explorer -> Properties returning incorrect file count (Windows 10): Hi, I just copied my personal files to an external hard drive, and wanted to confirm file count and size were the same. In doing so, I discovered that Windows Explorer is returning an incorrect (too low) file count on my current machine. For example, right-clicking on the...
  10. Win10 Folder Properties never stops counting files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Folder Properties never stops counting files.: Trying to figure out how many files I have in my itunes music folder, so I right clock on the folder and select properties. The file size and count never stop and actually go above the size of the actual hard drive. There should be about 65,000 files taking up about 300GB....