Windows 10: File and folder dates

Discus and support File and folder dates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have recently started to have an issue on my Lenovo All-in-one with Windows-10 using a NAS drive Buffalo. If I create a new folder with File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KeithLawrence4, Jan 11, 2021.

1. File and folder dates

I have recently started to have an issue on my Lenovo All-in-one with Windows-10 using a NAS drive Buffalo.

If I create a new folder with File explorer on the NAS drive, it gets a date of 26/12/2007? if i create a file with notepad it gets that date as well. If I amend that file and saver it it still doesn't get the correct date. Computer date and time is correct. I am at a loss as to what is going on, but creates a major issue using incremental saves !! Files and folders on other NAS drives and local "C" drive all get the correct dates.

:)

KeithLawrence4, Jan 11, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create multiple folders of same name with progressive dates, I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you.

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where you want the folders to be created.
    • On the address bar, where the folder path is displayed, erase the folder path and type
      CMD to open a Command Prompt window.
    • Once the Command Prompt window opens, copy paste the following command and hit Enter:

for %d in (2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.18 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.19 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.20 Job Progress Pics, etc) do mkdir %d

Note:

Replace ‘etc’ with rest of the dates for the month. (Eg: ‘2019.6.X Job Progress Pics’ where X is the date)

• Exit Command Prompt and see if multiple folders are created with the progressive dates on the preferred location.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 11, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Frogger Win User

File and folder dates

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile File and folder dates :)

Frogger, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

File and folder dates

1. File and folder dates - Similar Threads - File folder dates

2. Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some files and folders with wrong creation dates.: I'm a windows 11 pro user. I have installed the OS to a new Drive on August 2023, But there is an empty folder called perflogs which's creation date is 6/5/2021 and also there are some files in the windows folder which has nonsense creation dates like 6/5/2021, 2/23/2017,...
  3. sort files by date, but with all folders at top?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sort files by date, but with all folders at top?: In W10 I had the ability to sort explorer views with all folders at the top, and then all files sorted by descending date.I don't recall the magic settings for this, but cannot seem to reproduce it in W11.Any way?...
  4. sort files by date, but with all folders at top?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sort files by date, but with all folders at top?: In W10 I had the ability to sort explorer views with all folders at the top, and then all files sorted by descending date.I don't recall the magic settings for this, but cannot seem to reproduce it in W11.Any way?...
  5. Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?: Hi, I've recently ran into a conundrum that I can't find a solution to. I am trying to organise my collection of photographs. Since a lot of photos only have a random set of letters and numbers for a name such as IMG_78953, it makes sense to order them in their folders by the...
  6. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  7. File Folder Sorting by date in name

File Folder Sorting by date in name: I have folders where the name starts with the date. IE: 04.14.21 Name, which is April 14, 2021. How do I sort these by Newest to Oldest date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-sorting-by-date-in-name/618a448c-717d-40bb-870b-a52badbddc56
  8. Adding date to the name of files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding date to the name of files and folders: Hi, I would like to add the "Date Created" or "Date Modified" to any files or folders. Possibly by right-clicking on it and running a script from the context menu. Can that be done with autohotkey, batch file or VBS ? Any help would be appreciated example: "test.txt" to...
  9. Sort files by date with folders on top

Sort files by date with folders on top: Until recently, when I used File Explorer, the folder list was always at the top! If I want to sort everything inside a folder by name ascending, it put the folders on top by name ascending then files next by name ascending. If I want to sort everything inside a folder by...
  10. Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?

Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?: Heyo! I would like to drag songs from my computer to my phone, but some songs are still in extra folders and some are not. Is there any way to display files and folders together in Win 10? Not so that the folders are at the top and the files at the bottom, but e.g. folder...