Windows 10: File and Folder encryption

Discus and support File and Folder encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I want to enable file and folder encryption in Windows 10. The encryption enabling check box in advanced options is grayed-out. The system will not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mike997, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Mike997 Win User

File and Folder encryption

I want to enable file and folder encryption in Windows 10. The encryption enabling check box in advanced options is grayed-out. The system will not allow me to change the value at NftsDisableEncryption DWORD. The value is set at zero, which I think means encryption is enabled. Can anyone assist please? *Sad

:)

Mike997, Aug 22, 2016
  2. pixie-ryn Win User

New files not being encrypted

I had my Camera Uploads folder from Drobox set as compressed. I have changed this to encrypted for a bit more security.

The issue I'm having is that any new files created in the folder are set as compressed and not encrypted.

The parent folder(Dropbox) is set as encrypted, the folder itself(Camera Uploads) is set as encrypted and all previous files were encrypted. Only two files that are not encrypted are two hidden files(.dropbox.attr and desktop.ini).

I have enabled encryption using both through the Properties menu and using cipher.exe and new files are not being encrypted.

The documentation says I just need to encrypt the parent folder and all files moved to, copied to, and created in the folder will be encrypted, yet new files are created with the compressed attribute.

pixie-ryn, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Remove Encrypt contents to secure data enable all the time Windows 10

When you encrypt a file by going to the file's properties, it will ask you if you want to encrypt the file only or if you want to encrypt the file and its parent folder. You may have chosen the latter that is why the files in your Desktop folder are encrypted.
    You mentioned on your original post that you know how to remove the encryption on a single file. We suggest you do the same steps on your Desktop folder to remove the encryption of your other files inside the Desktop folder.

We'll be waiting for the result.

Argel Obm, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

File and Folder encryption

1. File and Folder encryption - Similar Threads - File Folder encryption

2. Files and Folder Encryptions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and Folder Encryptions: File and Folder encryption - During the test the files and folder made encrypted but due to reason the root drive formatted, now unable to access files and under file, advance setting the option is greyed, please suggestThanks in Advance...
  3. Files and Folder Encryptions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and Folder Encryptions: File and Folder encryption - During the test the files and folder made encrypted but due to reason the root drive formatted, now unable to access files and under file, advance setting the option is greyed, please suggestThanks in Advance...
  4. Files and Folder Encryptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. encrypt file and folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    encrypt file and folder: i have windows 10 home single language so there is no bitlocker to encrypt data, and the option in properties is also greyed. i tried all the options on web and yt. can anyone help me to enable this option or recommend any trusted app....
  6. encrypt file and folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encrypt file and folder: i have windows 10 home single language so there is no bitlocker to encrypt data, and the option in properties is also greyed. i tried all the options on web and yt. can anyone help me to enable this option or recommend any trusted app....
  7. encrypt file and folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Encrypting Files and Folders

Encrypting Files and Folders: Hi, I am not able to encrypt my files and folders. When I try it is Greyed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-files-and-folders/770611cb-57e6-4499-87e2-f5990217d01a
  9. encrypted files & folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    encrypted files & folders: I noted that, after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8.1, some files and folders became encrypted and I totally filed to to decryption. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-files-folders/f1c14ffa-c987-4948-b8fd-a59e2d3443ba
  10. Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder

Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder: When a *.xls excel file is saved in a encrypted folder the file is not automatically encrypted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-microsoft-excel-file-not-encrypted-in-the/c6b97419-6ce9-42e5-b449-4fc493672984