Windows 10: File and Print Sharing do not work on Windows 10

Discus and support File and Print Sharing do not work on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've spent 2 days trying to set up simple file and print sharing among 4 PCs on a home network no server. Theses are all machines with simple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveF1977, Jul 15, 2021.

1. DaveF1977 Win User

File and Print Sharing do not work on Windows 10

I've spent 2 days trying to set up simple file and print sharing among 4 PCs on a home network no server. Theses are all machines with simple configurations no games, basically just Office 365. Two machines use Windows 10 Pro and two use Windows 10 Home. The latest upgrades and patches have been applied. All computers are set up in the following manner: 1. Under Network and Sharing Center Advanced Sharing Settings: Private Network • Turn on network discovery • Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices. • Turn on file and printer sharing Guest or Public •Turn off

:)

DaveF1977, Jul 15, 2021
  2. Jan123 Win User

Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

1. Remove the printer device.
    2. Add a Printer
    3. The printer that I want isn’t listed
    4. Select a shared printer by name
    5. Browse
    6. Select the displayed Machine 1.
    7. Select the displayed Printer.
    8. Next
    9. Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    10. Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    11. Next
    12. Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    13. Detecting TCP/IP Port
    14. Additional Port information required.
    15. Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    16. Next
    17. Detecting the Driver Model
    18. Install The Print Driver
    19. Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    20. Next
    21. Replace the Current Driver
    22. Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    23. Next
    24. Do not share this printer
    25. Next
    26. You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    27. Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Jul 15, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Joythar K Win User

File and print sharing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Windows 10. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We
    understand that you are not able to print and we do apologies. I can help you with it.

For better understanding of the issue, please provide us following information:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • You can try uninstalling and reinstalling that software and check.
    The issue you have reported usually occurs if the drivers needed for the device are not installed properly or if the drivers are not compatible with the Operating System.

I would suggest you to visit manufacturer's website and install the latest available driver for the device .

If the drivers for the device are not yet available for Windows 10, hence I suggest you to reinstall them in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps below to install the driver in compatibility mode and see if it helps:

• Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
      Properties
    • Select Compatibility Tab
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list
    • Click OK and run the setup.
    I would suggest you to visit manufacturer's website and install the latest available driver for the device in compatibility mode.

Hope this helps.

Please post back if you have any questions. We will be glad to provide you with the additional options.

Joythar K, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

1. File and Print Sharing do not work on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Print Sharing

2. Windows File Sharing not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Sharing not working in Windows 10.: I am trying to share folders between two computers on a wired Ethernet LAN. When using the computer browser, both computers can see each other, but when I try to access, I get an error indicating that the other computer did not respond. There is connectivity between the...
  3. Windows File Sharing not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Sharing not working in Windows 10.: I am trying to share folders between two computers on a wired Ethernet LAN. When using the computer browser, both computers can see each other, but when I try to access, I get an error indicating that the other computer did not respond. There is connectivity between the...
  4. Windows File Sharing not working in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 remote print share

Windows 10 remote print share: I have an XP computer connected remotely via Hamachi to a Server running 2003 Server. The XP box has a shared printer that is visible on the server.I would like to do the same from a Windows 10 system using Hamachi but I am unable to see the shared printer on the local box...
  6. Windows 10 sharing files not working

Windows 10 sharing files not working: After a recent update of Windows 10 I am having problems with my accessing my printer. I have checked the settings to ensure that I can access my files. The printer has worked last week. Now I find that access to the printer in manage the queue does not work from my main PC....
  7. File and Print Sharing Trouble with Windows 10 Enterprise

File and Print Sharing Trouble with Windows 10 Enterprise: I have an odd situation. There are 2 Win10 Enterprise workstations: - A connects successfully to B's shares without issue - B can see the 'Public Folder' in the \\A\Users share - A appears in B's network share along with a '\\A\c_drive' share another share on C: and...
  8. Print and file sharing is online but not responding

Print and file sharing is online but not responding: The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer....
  9. File and Print Sharing

File and Print Sharing: When I select the file and printer sharing to the "on" position and then save settings, it returns to "off" when I open the "Change advanced sharing settings" dialog box the file and printer sharing is "off". I've tried everything that I've seen in the community but nothing...
  10. Strange File/Print share issue

Strange File/Print share issue: After KB4457128 Update, a shared USB printer on my system was no longer visible on other computers on the network. This is a home network using Workgroup, and has always been "flaky" with W10 updates breaking shares. However, in this case, the problem was with this share. If...