Windows 10: File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update

Discus and support File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After installing the 20H2 update on my machine the other machines in our home network already had it installed my wife could no longer access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamesThornton7, Jan 9, 2021.

1. File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update

After installing the 20H2 update on my machine the other machines in our home network already had it installed my wife could no longer access the shared files and printer on my machine. I rechecked that printer sharing is still on and that the file sharing privileges on the folders in question still allow "everyone" access to no avail. My wife's computer can still see mine, but whenever she tries to access the shared files it throws up a box asking for "Network Credentials". If she enters my account and password she can see my files, but she never used to have to do this and she shouldn't have to. She can still see the printer, but it says she doesn't have permission to use it. My wife and I are both on the same hard-wired home network, hooked up to a single Comcast router. I tried rebooting the router and both PCs to no avail. My wife and I both login with Microsoft not local accounts. We have Microsoft 365 and she's in my "family". Help.... This is driving me crazy!

:)

JamesThornton7, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 9, 2021
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

4. newtekie1 Win User

File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update

1. File and printer sharing broke after installing 20H2 update - Similar Threads - File printer sharing

2. Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again!: Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again! After the July 12th, 2022 Windows update KB5015807 was installed I can no longer share my host printer with my other devices. This happened before with the printer update and I finally got that fixed...
  3. Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again!: Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again! After the July 12th, 2022 Windows update KB5015807 was installed I can no longer share my host printer with my other devices. This happened before with the printer update and I finally got that fixed...
  4. Windows Update KB 5015807 broke the internet sharing printer mapping again!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Shared printer not working after the last update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer not working after the last update: After the last update, i can't print over LAN network. the error message is 0x0000052e. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-printer-not-working-after-the-last-update/40c03498-273a-4be1-8afa-296cb7368cd8
  6. Update to 20H2 broke WiFi hotspot speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update to 20H2 broke WiFi hotspot speeds: So I was running 1909 before I updated to 20H2 today, and after the update I noticed that the WiFi hotspot feature suddenly was much slower then before. The hotspot now reaches only around 180Mbps link speed instead of the almost 900Mbps I had before. I use the hotspot...
  7. Windows Update 20H2 Broke my System

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update 20H2 Broke my System: I recently updated my system to 20H2 (Fresh Install going through updates) and once it applied the update, I only get a BSOD upon startup. I decided to do another fresh reinstall of Windows and its the same thing when it updates. . Any way to fix this issue? The error code is...
  8. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  9. Update Broke my Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update Broke my Printer: Windows installed an update last night. Now today I can't print anything. It keeps saying that the printer is offline. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-broke-my-printer/fcc3556a-cef9-43db-a99a-c6ca559c6865
  10. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!: Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network sharing was working fine until yesterday. Two computers got the update to build 1809 yesterday, and that seriously broke sharing...