Windows 10: File and printer sharing not turning on!

Discus and support File and printer sharing not turning on! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I run a NAS on my home network, on my old version of Windows 10 it was visible and accessible. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BBDriver, Jan 28, 2020.

1. BBDriver Win User

File and printer sharing not turning on!

Hi, I run a NAS on my home network, on my old version of Windows 10 it was visible and accessible. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Windows install the latest version 1909 and now I cannot turn on file and printer sharing over a private network, so the NAS is no longer visible in my Network in File Explorer, which is strange as I run a network printer through the same switch and that works ok. I also have a laptop which I use over my network using both ethernet and wireless connections and the NAS is visible on my laptop, so it's working OK.

Done some research, but noting works to cure my problem. Any thoughts??

:)

BBDriver, Jan 28, 2020
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Jan 28, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

4. Arun B J Win User

Connect to a shared printer located on a 32bit windows from windows 10 (64 bit)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Window Key, and type Network and sharing.

• Click on Change Advanced sharing settings.

• Select all network.

• Under file and printer sharing.

• Turn on file and printer sharing.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. File and printer sharing not turning on! - Similar Threads - File printer sharing

2. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  3. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  4. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't turn on windows file and printer sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't turn on windows file and printer sharing: I've tried to turn on file and printer sharing lots of times but I can't plz provide me proper solution. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-turn-on-windows-file-and-printer-sharing/45b26d60-2d9b-4da0-9c4a-ace437a4a494
  6. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  7. File and Printer Sharing won’t stay “turned On”

File and Printer Sharing won’t stay “turned On”: I can no longer connect to any drives on a Windows 7 PC from a Windows 10 Laptop. It has been OK for a year but recently the connections failed. There have been no changes to either that I know of nor has any software been installed. The Win 7 permissions are “Everyone” has...
  8. Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing

Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing: Hello, I have a network that is pretty simple. * ATT DSL model/router. * MyBook Live NAS attached by Ethernet to the router * 2 identical Dell M2800 laptops running Windows 10 (with update 1803) that connect to the network via wireless. Both are typically within 10 feet of...
  9. File and printer sharing turned on

File and printer sharing turned on: Hi, two days ago i got a new router from my provider because with my old one the connection just kept identifying, after a restart w10 identified it as network 2, when booting up before that it was still network, but even after the reboot it didn't ask me what network profile...
  10. Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network....