Windows 10: File association error when connecting external HDD

Discus and support File association error when connecting external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I keep getting the error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" when I connect my Toshiba external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TipsyGypsy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. File association error when connecting external HDD

I keep getting the error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" when I connect my Toshiba external hard drive which is just under 1TB (931GB) in storage capacity. The hard drive works completely fine and is recognised by the computer, but the same error message keeps appearing when I plug in the drive.

:)

TipsyGypsy, Jan 7, 2017
  2. Juma_jay Win User

Can not access Any External HDD in my Win 10 PC and it causes BSOD

Hi MS Community,

Please help, I have been having some issues with my win 10 64-bit PC for several weeks now.

I can't access any external HDD in my win 10 PC, when I connect any external HDD I get
    error: Access Denied, Device not ready and if I chkdsk it says the Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives and also when I connect an external HDD (any external HDD) I keep
    getting BSOD with stop code: DRIVER _POWER_STATE_FAILURE which is caused by driver
    ntoskrnl.exe

Dump files:

BSOD dump.rar

Thank you.

Juma_jay, Jan 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 error message "The semaphore timeout period has expired"

I have external HDD connected via USB to my laptop running Win10 64b

After sometime no accessing external HDD, File Explorer still shows all files and folders directly on HDD's root BUT I am not able to open none of them: when I double click any one of them I got the error message "The semaphore timeout period has expired".

I cannot even remove HDD safety because when trying to do that I got the message "Windows is unable to stop the device..."

The only way I can do to solve this is to disconnect and reconnect external HDD.

This is VERY ANNOYING.

Does anybody know a solution that does not imply reinstall something?

RafaelRodriguez, Jan 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

File association error when connecting external HDD

dalchina, Jan 7, 2017
  5. @dalchina thanks, that seems to have solved the problem. I went into my autoplay settings and changed the removable drive option to "Take no action".

TipsyGypsy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File association error when connecting external HDD

1. File association error when connecting external HDD - Similar Threads - File association error

2. deleting file history on external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting file history on external HDD: Hi there I have backed up all my photos, videos and important documents to an external HDD can I delete the file history on the external HDD without losing everything that I have backed up on there. Many thanks scared to delete...
  3. no connect external hdd cause bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no connect external hdd cause bsod: hi, my laptop connect external hdd via usb3.0 everything works fine, but no connect external hdd will cause bsod. I already update latest version of intel driver dump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkO_gpBnT93mg0-afcWWElU6QBEt?e=BRH0jk...
  4. File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.: I'm having a hard time when inserting an external drive, the Explorer suddenly not responding. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-responding-when-inserting/bbcbbaa3-6c79-4c4e-ac77-9a28a19273ce
  5. Weird files in external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird files in external hdd: Hey guys, today when I booted up my desktop I found some folders and a file in the external hdd I use that weren't there the day before One is named mono.exe and it's classified as a windows installer type file, two folders named System and System64 that contain only .dlls,...
  6. External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors...: Hello all, I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big Windows update last week. Afterwards the hard drive was no longer recognised as NTFS and was labelled RAW. I couldn't repair the...
  7. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  8. External USB HDD and file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External USB HDD and file history: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  9. Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.

Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.: I recently bought two drives (a 1TB Seagate and a 2 TB WD) off Facebook Marketplace. I know it's a risk to buy used HDD, particularly on Facebook/Craiglist/etc..., but considering the cost I thought it was an acceptable risk. I am having some strange issues with these two...
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...