Windows 10: File association not changing to some apps

Discus and support File association not changing to some apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a laptop with Windows 10 home 64-bit on it, and the only thing I did to make old apps compatible, is that I set the owner of Program Files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cs127, Oct 20, 2018.

1. cs127 Win User

File association not changing to some apps

I have a laptop with Windows 10 home 64-bit on it, and the only thing I did to make old apps compatible, is that I set the owner of Program Files and Program Files (x86) to myself, and gave myself full access to those folders. The problem I'm having is that whenever I try to go into a file's properties and change the default app, it will not be changed to the app I want. Some other apps work, but some don't. I even tried to "Open with" the app I want and I checked "always use this app", but the association won't change. The examples are: Setting .gif files to be associated with chrome, and setting .txt files to be associated with notepad++. I know I can edit the file associations with the registry, but I don't want to change the registry every time I want to change a file association. My laptop didn't have this problem until I reset it because I had so much lag and nothing could fix it. After the reset, this problem has started to happen. I also once tried to give myself full access to the registry, but that messed up my whole computer, so I had to reset again, but I still have the problem after this reset. I never had this problem in Windows 7, but Windows 10 is really annoying me.

:)

cs127, Oct 20, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

file association change

Suggest first you disable lock file types in Winpatrol (always worth checking why a program like that is doing what it is)

File association not changing to some apps [​IMG]

If necessary exit Winpatrol, then set the default as you want, check it, check it again after restarting (just to be sure!).

dalchina, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) Create a new file with any extension and save it on any location.

2) Next Open Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the default programs icon.

3) Click/tap on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    link.

4) Either double click/tap on the file extension or protocol, or click/tap on the file extension or protocol and click/tap on the
    Change Program button of the one you want to change the "current default' program association of.

5) If the program you want to associate is not listed, then click/tap on the
    More Options
    link if available.

6) Click/tap on a listed program that you want to associate.

7) If you associated a program, then you will see this below as "Set Associations" updates and reloads.

8) Once it is done go back to the file which you have created and delete the file.

9) Go to default programs and refresh the set association programs. It should show as other unknown.

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 20, 2018
  4. File association not changing to some apps

Change file association back to unknown program in Windows 10

• Create an empty text file.
    • Navigate to "All Control Panel Items"
    • Choose "Default Programs"
    • Choose "Associate a File Type or Protocol With a Specific Program"
    • Navigate to the file type you want to dissociate.
    • Click the "Change Program" button on the upper right.
    • Scroll to the bottom of the menu and choose "More Apps"
    • Scroll to the bottom of the menu and choose "Look for Another App on This PC"
    • Change the file type to "All Types" and point to the empty text file you created in step 1 (or create one now).
    • Click the "Open" button.
    • Your file extension will now be associated with the blank text document.
    • DELETE the document to restore the "Unknown Application" status.
    • You'll have to leave the "Set Associations" menu and re-enter it to see the change.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy File association not changing to some apps :p...

Lorin Soura, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

File association not changing to some apps

1. File association not changing to some apps - Similar Threads - File association changing

2. Change an outlook file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change an outlook file association: I accidentally opened an outlook file *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with Adobe acrobat and it changed the file association to open only with acrobat. I have tried to change it back to open with outlook but outlook says it cannot use that file type. How can I...
  3. File App Association

File App Association: There isn't a file option for .odm in default file association by app in settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-app-association/3e118cb5-61df-49e0-89ea-373fc0307092
  4. File/app association question

in Browsers and Email
    File/app association question: Today I checked which apps I have associated with which files. I discovered that .mht; .mhtml; and .website are associated with Internet Explorer which I never use. I tried to associate them with Chrome but the option is not available; I am simply told to find another app in...
  5. File type associated with App

File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  6. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  7. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  8. Changing file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  9. Mass Change File Association

Mass Change File Association: Hi, I would like to change all file types that are handled by notepad to notepad++. How do I accomplish this without clicking manually? Maybe by changing via the registry? Henry 69414
  10. file association change

file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644