Windows 10: File association problem with .reg and .bat files

Discus and support File association problem with .reg and .bat files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Asus laptop with WINDOWS 10 When double clicking a .reg file the default action is merge by running the regedit.exe. On the right-click content menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by losl, Jan 2, 2016.

1. losl Win User

File association problem with .reg and .bat files

Asus laptop with WINDOWS 10

When double clicking a .reg file the default action is merge by running the regedit.exe. On the right-click content menu I have Merge (in bold), edit and print, select edit opens the notepad for editing. In order to prevent from merging the .reg file by accidental double clicking, i prefer edit be the default action of double clicking. I went to setting to change the file association from reg editor (the default) to notepad. Then i can't merge the .reg file any more. On the right-click content menu i get open(in bold), edit and print, Notepad opens when i select open, edit or double click. I remember that i can do this by tweaking the registry entery in WinXP but now i forgot how.

I also want to change the associated default app for .bat from run (by cmd.exe) to edit (by notepad) due to the same reason but can't find a way.

Will you please help, thank you very much!

Happy 2016 to all, regards.

SLo

:)

losl, Jan 2, 2016

2. .bat file extension messed up...

Hello,

Smart as I am, I associated .bat files with another program, yeah... (You've really made this too easy!)

I've tried about everything to restore it already, I've run dozens of .reg files, edited adresses myself, deleted UserChoice etc.

Now, .bat files don't have anything associated to them, but I can't run them, because on doing so Windows ask me which program to use to open them. I'm really stuck and out of options.

Yet, I don't feel like completely resetting my system, I did that two weeks ago (before I messed up).

Any feedback is appreciated.

Greetings,

Simon

Simon (the one and only), Jan 2, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    .bin files opening up in notepad

Hi TimeLordXD, sorry I have been offline for a while,

Basically the way his works is:

Create a dummy bat or exe file

Then whatever file type you are trying to reset the file association to, you tell it to open with the dummy exe or bat file

Then delete the dummy file restart and the file association is broken . . .

DaveM121, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  5. losl Win User
    Thank you for your reply, but the "Add open with Notepad to content menu" method dose not help.
    I may not make myself clear. Please refer to the attached sreenshot
    File association problem with .reg and .bat files [​IMG]

"open with notepad" is already here. At the top i have an option "edit" it also opens the notepad for reg entry editing. It is fine. What i want is a way to change the default double click action from "opening the regedit.exe for merging the new entry" to "opening the notepad for editing",and keep the right click content menu unchange.

SLo

losl, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not sure you can change the default double click (open) action without changing the default program to be "Notepad", but this would also effect "Merge" by changing "Merge" to "Open".

Brink, Jan 3, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    It's not unsafe to have Merge as the default since you have to then click Yes on the next "are you sure" window which gives you a chance to cancel the action.

File association problem with .reg and .bat files [​IMG]

Ztruker, Jan 3, 2016
  8. KeithM Win User

I made the same mistake a while back. Open With is a piss-poor implementation in my opinion --- the old file type dialog that let you associate any verb with any command was much better.

Anyway, to restore the default before your accidental association, you need to delete the UserChoice subkey
    under (check both locations but don't worry if not found)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.reg

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming\OpenWith\FileExts\.reg

That should return you to the default of Merge as the default verb.

Then, to make Edit the default while retaining Merge as a right-click option, go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell

Double-click (Default) in the right-hand pane & type "edit" (without quotes).

Keith

KeithM, Jan 3, 2016
  9. losl Win User
    Thanks a lot, it works!!

losl, Jan 4, 2016
  10. KeithM Win User
    You're welcome. Glad it's sorted.

And thanks for letting me know. That was a lot of typing/cutting/pasting for someone who's legally blind! *Shock

It's the positive feedback that makes it worth the effort.

Keith

KeithM, Jan 5, 2016
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks for the great info Keith. You can bet I saved it for future use.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File association problem with .reg and .bat files - Similar Threads - File association problem

2. Bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat file: I have a bat fileI am improving it bit by bit till I have reached But not i have added a warning to it before a commandI now want to make that line font size Bigger than the others How can I do that ??So here is the Batch file content@ECHO OFF echo...
  3. Bat file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bat file: Good morning/evening/night, I wanted to create a batch file or an exe that can change options inside the gui of an application (the application is cisco webex) (if you are familliar with webex i want to change the audio or turn it to music mode witha batch file) but i am...
  4. Path Entries with BAT or REG

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Path Entries with BAT or REG: Hey guys i have a question about path entries, i added this 5 path items in the rectangle by hand [img] is there a command line parameter that will add them with one command ? and is there a way to do it with a reg file? thanks 164858
  5. Problem with Associate files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with Associate files: I have installed in my PC Samsung's SideSync which connects my smartphone with my PC Windows 10. By mistake, I associated the exe file of Side Sync with Cerious Thumbplus software. When SideSync opens, the software Thumbplus opens twice. I tried RESET DEFAULT APP but the...
  6. Set File Association with .reg File

Set File Association with .reg File: Hi, i have a problem with File Associations in Windows (Build 1607). I want to set a File Association for .pdf so that i can start .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and not with Microsoft Edge (default). It is possible if i change it over System -> Default Apps...
  7. Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts

Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts: Using the assoc and ftype commands, I was always been able to associate certain extensions/filetypes with certain Batch scripts. But, this didn't appear to be be working in Windows 10. The following commands (run in a Admin command prompt) work fine in Windows 8.1 but not...
  8. .REG vs .BAT

in Windows 10 Support
    .REG vs .BAT: Howdy, Strange behavior! I set the following 2 registry keys via both .reg and .bat file in Windows 10 to control System Protection. I don't care if they work or not and if this is the key to work on or not. .bat file works but .reg file not! Spent sometime and just...
  9. problem saving .bat file

in Windows 10 Support
    problem saving .bat file: In Win 10, want to save .bat file in a Program directory. Downloaded a program in a zip file and unzipped it to a Program Files (x86) folder. This folder has other .bat files but one was missing. Now have it but cannot save it in the folder. I am the owner of the folder. 69008
  10. Reg to Bat

in Windows 10 Support
    Reg to Bat: Hi everyone, I'm so sorry if this is not the proper forum to ask, but didn't found one for registry related questions. I have a small .reg file and I have converted it to .bat using a tool and am not sure if it's converted correctly and bug free! Is there anyone expert in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. regedit userchoice bat