Windows 10: File Associations and default apps Windows 10

Discus and support File Associations and default apps Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DonnaJ_5, Apr 1, 2019.

1. DonnaJ_5 Win User

File Associations and default apps Windows 10

I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to Notepad, rather than Python. When I tried to change the default program, Python was not listed as an option, even though it is installed. I could go to the MS Store, and reinstall, I guess, but figure there should be another workaround? Also, .pyd extensions do not give me the option to default to Python; all other Python extensions automatically defaulted to Python. I know how to set .pyd to VS or Notepad++, but not how to set to Python. (I'm a code newbie, so I'm probably missing something obvious!)

:)

DonnaJ_5, Apr 1, 2019
  2. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Apr 1, 2019
  3. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 1, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10  

Noted you have posted the same here:
    Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 1, 2019
Thema:

1. File Associations and default apps Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Associations default

2. Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association: As you can see on this screenshot, the .m4v file association doesn't exist. Impossible to change the software to open such files, I have to choose manually each time. Is it possible windows 11 devs plainly forgot to add it in the list? Windows 11 home 21H2 build...
  3. Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association: As you can see on this screenshot, the .m4v file association doesn't exist. Impossible to change the software to open such files, I have to choose manually each time. Is it possible windows 11 devs plainly forgot to add it in the list? Windows 11 home 21H2 build...
  4. Creating an Association for a file on the Default Apps Settings page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating an Association for a file on the Default Apps Settings page: Would someone please explain, in layman's terms, how to resolve this issue. I have come up against this message several times in the past and have NEVER managed to successfully set up an app. I have searched for answers on Youtube and, frankly, been totally terrified by the...
  5. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  6. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  7. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  8. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  9. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  10. File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot

File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot: Every time I reboot, the file associations for images (jpg/png), media (mp3/wav/mp4/mkv) revert back to the default Microsoft apps. I prefer to use VLC for videos, Winamp for audio and Irfanview for images, and it's getting really annoying having to set all my file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defaultappassociations 1903

2. windows 10 version 1903 default apps associations