Windows 10: File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot

Discus and support File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Every time I reboot, the file associations for images (jpg/png), media (mp3/wav/mp4/mkv) revert back to the default Microsoft apps. I prefer to use VLC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by djxdj, Jan 10, 2016.

1. djxdj Win User

File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot

Every time I reboot, the file associations for images (jpg/png), media (mp3/wav/mp4/mkv) revert back to the default Microsoft apps. I prefer to use VLC for videos, Winamp for audio and Irfanview for images, and it's getting really annoying having to set all my file associations every time I boot up. This never happened on Win7 or 8. Has anyone experienced this before and/or know a fix?

:)

djxdj, Jan 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

This is still a major issue for me. No matter where or how I associate a file type with an application, Windows 10 ALWAYS forgets them, and after a restart reverts to using its own dumb and useless apps. For example, I have PhotoShop CS6 installed, so always
    want JPG, PNG and every other image format to open in PhotoShop. But after a restart Windows 10 reverts to using its useless Photos app by default. Similarly, I have the full version of Acrobat DC so of course ALWAYS want EVERY .pdf file to open in Acrobat...
    but no, Windows 10 thinks I should open PDFs in a particularly useless web browser called Edge! Why? This file association problem is the worst bug (or most stupid 'feature') in Windows 10. Professionals need to use the correct app to do their work
    (PhotoShop, Acrobat) not lame Microsoft substitutes!

Reactive59, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Set video player to default to VLC media player for all video type

Original title: Media Player Default

I set my video player to default to VLC media player for all video type (reported to be 118). I then extract a zip file that has the extension of *.MKV. and windows 10 reverts to show the file as associated with Windows Media player or what ever the win
    10 equivalent is. This happens each and every time. It is very annoying.

I have tried restarting, changing the way I default. Told windows not to use the windows media player. Nothing helps. I even reinstalled VLC. It re-associates everything until the next time I unzip.

Thanks.

TOMLippert, Jan 10, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

The following tutorial shows seven different ways of associating apps with file extensions. Maybe you should try one or two of the alternative methods to see if they work better for you (e.g. choose by protocol)

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jan 10, 2016
  5. djxdj Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I have seen this article and tried a few methods to change my associations, all of which work, but only for several hours. The problem is that the associations I make are un-done by some Microsoft process. And I was wrong in my OP - Turns out it happens without a reboot! Seemingly randomly all my file associations change back to the Windows default apps.

djxdj, Jan 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, does this change happen e.g. after resuming from sleep or hibernation? (Of course it shouldn't change..)

Experiment:
    It would be interesting to try to determine if the associations being reset is correlated with any other change to the registry being reversed at the same time. E.g. placement of an icon on the desktop. Try moving one, noting its position, and changing an association. When the association is reversed, inspect your desktop (you may need to refresh it or maybe restart explorer).

Suggestion:
    Try (as an experiment) disabling fast startup.

dalchina, Jan 10, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
    Hey djxdj-

I was also having a similar issue for a while. I use images often, and I was continuously getting that 'open with' window to select the program to use. I was finally able to get things fixed by manually selecting the file association, while within the "Set Program Associations" section.

If you follow philc43's link and scroll down to section #6 (6. To Choose Defaults for Selected Program- subsection B) you can see how to do that if you're unaware.

8. djxdj Win User

Thanks guys, I am setting the default apps successfully, and everything works as I want for a while. Images open in irfanview, music plays in Winamp, videos in VLC. But then I leave my computer for a few hours, and when I come back, images once again open in the Windows Photos app, music opens in Groove Music, and videos open in Windows Movies & TV app.

It's like my defaults stick for a few hours and then somehow revert to the Microsoft defaults.

djxdj, Jan 12, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    Here's a thought - do you have Sync your settings ON for your PC and do you have another windows 10 system running with your Microsoft account? I'm thinking that Microsoft is somehow picking up your defaults from another source and changing them.

philc43, Jan 12, 2016
  10. erreenne Win User
    The same problem for me. Do you use an old version of WinZip? I found that every time I launch this program, the JPEG association reverts to default.

erreenne, Jan 25, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Winzip (old version) is one program that has been reported as having this effect.
    It might be reasonable to think other programs could equally have such an effect.
    Elsewhere I've suggested using the free SUMO update checker to scan installed programs and update them where reasonable.

(Use the version labelled Lite or 'nork' to avoid adware - 'Related Knowledge' - otherwise it's the most comprehensive update scanner around)

dalchina, Jan 25, 2016
  12. jonjus10 Win User
    I have been frustrated by this same issue, Groove Music kept hijacking files with adt extension. I am able to set the default program using Control Panel or Settings and it would work for a while and then change back again.
    After reading this, I proved that it is WinZip (mine is v17.5) that is causing the problem.
    As soon as I opened a file with WinZip, the file extension for adt reverts to Groove

jonjus10, Feb 7, 2016
  13. pjfarr Win User

pjfarr, Feb 11, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    The problem will come back to bite you when the apps are reinstated.. which will happen if you do an in-place upgrade repair install or (probably) there's another big upgrade like 10586.

Which is why I suggest scanning for old version software may help to give a permanent solution:

Winzip (old version) is one program that has been reported as having this effect.
    It might be reasonable to think other programs could equally have such an effect.
    Elsewhere I've suggested using the free SUMO update checker to scan installed programs and update them where reasonable.

(Use the version labelled Lite or 'nork' to avoid adware - 'Related Knowledge' - otherwise it's the most comprehensive update scanner around)

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  15. pjfarr Win User
    SUMO sounds very similar to Secunia PSI which I've been using for years. I try to keep my programs as up-to-date as possible, but certain ones are marked as "end of life" (no longer being updated or maintained) or are paid upgrades. Those ones still work on Win10 and I want to keep using them so I put them on the "ignore" list (so they won't be scanned for updates in the future).

That being said, the apps I'm using for opening media files (the file types that are being effected by this issue) are all current versions.

If the next update causes this problem again by reinstalling the apps I removed I guess I can just keep re-uninstalling them until MS addresses this (I won't hold my breath). However, the way they've designed Win10 to be so aggressive, I wouldn't be surprised if a future update purposefully reinstalls the Metro apps and then locks them down so they can't be uninstalled.

pjfarr, Feb 12, 2016
Thema:

1. File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot - Similar Threads - File associations revert

2. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  3. Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets default apps on every boot: Hi!This issue has been killing me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find a fix for it. Long story short, I upgraded to Windows 11 about a week ago, and a few days later I downgraded back to Win 10 because 11 turned out to be a pile of burning garbage, but ever since the...
  4. Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association: As you can see on this screenshot, the .m4v file association doesn't exist. Impossible to change the software to open such files, I have to choose manually each time. Is it possible windows 11 devs plainly forgot to add it in the list? Windows 11 home 21H2 build...
  5. Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default apps misses .m4v file association: As you can see on this screenshot, the .m4v file association doesn't exist. Impossible to change the software to open such files, I have to choose manually each time. Is it possible windows 11 devs plainly forgot to add it in the list? Windows 11 home 21H2 build...
  6. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  7. File Associations and default apps Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations and default apps Windows 10: I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to Notepad, rather than Python. When I tried to change the default program, Python was not listed as an option, even though it is...
  8. Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.: Every time I restart my computer, all Default Apps (in Settings) and all file extension associations (in the right click -> Open With menu) are reset to their defaults. I really want Windows to remember these settings across reboots. It's really irritating to keep having to...
  9. File Associations Keep Reverting to Windows 10 Defaults

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Associations Keep Reverting to Windows 10 Defaults: The title says it all. If I am to believe the Internet about this matter, countless users of Windows 10 struggle with the same problem. Whatever one tweaks, whatever one does, even deep down into the registry, Windows keeps reverting to its file association defaults, for...
  10. File Associations Keep Reverting to Windows 10 Defaults

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Associations Keep Reverting to Windows 10 Defaults: The title says it all. If I am to believe the Internet about this matter, countless users of Windows 10 struggle with the same problem. Whatever one tweaks, whatever one does, even deep down into the registry, Windows keeps reverting to its file association defaults, for...