Windows 10: File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user

Discus and support File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Still having sporadic file associations getting dropped. But, the most annoying thing is that I can't set Chrome as my default browser. When I do,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jprny, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jprny Win User

File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user

Still having sporadic file associations getting dropped.

But, the most annoying thing is that I can't set Chrome as my default browser.

When I do, double clicking on an .URL shortcut says "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action..."

Same thing happens for links in emails.

I've tried resetting in Control Panel "web browser" and also with "open with". Nothing gets it to work.

Setting default back to Edge makes everything work fine.

Very frustrating.

Ideas?

Thanks.

John

:)

jprny, Jan 14, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

broken REG association

Hello Roedy

It's already been there in the bottom half of the note box under step 4 in OPTION TWO. File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user :)

Brink, Jan 14, 2019
  3. Awin1 Win User
    File associations broken post Anniversary update

Has the Anniversary update broken the way file associations use to work for portable applications. Prior to the update, any portable program could be set as the "default app" (eg browser, video player) once it had been associated with a file extension eg.
    Smplayer associated with .avi, and it would be visible in the drop down list of known video players. But now it looks like it doesn't applear in the drop down list, unless I manually set many file associations to a portable app, and then it _might_ appear.

Another issue is when I change the "default apps", not all the file extensions are changed to the new app, eg. setting smplayer to be the new default app for video player does not change .divx or .m4v which is still set to the built in "Movies and TV".

Is this problem also related to Anniversary update removing classic shell?

Awin1, Jan 14, 2019
  4. File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user

Backup/Restore current user's file associations

Hello CsIP,

You can still export or import a user account's custom file association using the
    Registry Editor if the user account doesn't have administrative permission.

1. Click the Start button, type regedit, and then hit
      Enter.
    2. Navigate to the path below.
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
    3. Right-click the FileExts key and select Export.
    4. Select the save location and enter the desired name for the Registration File (.reg).
    5. Click Save to complete.

• To import the file association, right-click the .reg file, select
      Merge, and then choose Yes to complete the process.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base

article

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Devlin Sco, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user

1. File associations still broken in build 1809 for local user - Similar Threads - File associations still

2. broken .cmd association

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    broken .cmd association: as the title suggests i cant open .cmd filesIs there any fix for that?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-cmd-association/8ab84af1-8040-4402-a856-a6b004c17bba
  3. Associating Old Backup Files with New Local Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Associating Old Backup Files with New Local Account: I recently had to rebuild my computer after a hard crash. I reloaded windows 10. I successfully loaded the backup I had from an external hard drive onto the rebuilt computer. Somehow magically my files I reinstalled got associated with my account. I see in the "Users" folder...
  4. broken .exe filetype association

in Windows 10 Customization
    broken .exe filetype association: I can't open any .exe programs. I've looked around in the forums and the solution seems to be to fix the registry keys, however I can't open regedit. I also can't open command prompt or task manager. Another solution was to tweak the registry without opening regedit either...
  5. Windows 10 update from Build 1809 to Build 1909 -Corrupted Local User Account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 update from Build 1809 to Build 1909 -Corrupted Local User Account.: Windows 10 update from Build 1809 to Build 1909 -Corrupted Local User Account. After System Boot- Lock screen appears and freezes. Cannot log in to the system either by Finger print sensor or Log in Pin Box due to lock screen freezing. I am using Windows 10 Home. Lenovo...
  6. File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Association Broken for all JPG & PNG: I do know how to use open with and create proper file associations. And I am not having issues opening files in PHOTO or other graphic programs. The problem is Windows 10 has decided that all my photos are now SONY RAW files. I cannot upload them to Google photo. It...
  7. After installing build 1903 but winver still shows build 1809 ???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After installing build 1903 but winver still shows build 1809 ???: Hi guys, I would like to try windows build 1903 so I downloaded the "MediaCreationTool1903.exe" file. Everything went smoothly during the installation process. But after the installation I checked via winver it still shows build 1809. So how can I install build 1903 on my pc?...
  8. After update to 1809, created new user profile, still have broken Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After update to 1809, created new user profile, still have broken Store: After update to 1809, created new user profile, still have broken Store. Dell Inspiron 13 5368 Windows Home 1809 I can't install any apps from the Store and the some that I don't want won't uninstall. I need some help here. I did: - run troubleshooter - check...
  9. 1809: Is Windows To Go still broken?

in Windows 10 Support
    1809: Is Windows To Go still broken?: In the initial wave of reports for things that were broken in the first release of 1809, there was included a fatal BSOD on attempting to boot Windows To Go: [img] It is related to WppRecorder.sys, affected both "official" and "unofficial" To Go installs, and was only...
  10. 1809: Is Windows To Go still broken?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    1809: Is Windows To Go still broken?: In the initial wave of reports for things that were broken in the first release of 1809, there was included a fatal BSOD on attempting to boot Windows To Go: [img] It is related to WppRecorder.sys, affected both "official" and "unofficial" To Go installs, and was only...