Windows 10: File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

Discus and support File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created. I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by craker, Dec 17, 2017.

1. craker Win User

File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

I had a user complain he couldn't see (& delete) a lock file our program had created.

I can find it in a command prompt, dir /ah (and NOT dir /as). In Explorer, Folder Options->View->Uncheck "Hide Protected operating System Files" which stops Explorer displaying files with the System attribute set (+S) (properties confirms the file has RHSAI)

Neither the command prompt nor the explorer window are running with Administrative permissions.

Any idea why this file should have different attributes in these two processes?

:)

craker, Dec 17, 2017
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Customize File Explorer Ribbon

Hi,

Hidden files, folders, and drives do not show by default in Windows. Windows protected system files (ex: desktop.ini files) are hidden by default. You can also manually hide a file or folder by setting it's
    hidden attribute.

It's recommended to not modify or delete hidden files since these are usually app and system files, and is why they do not show in File Explorer by default.

When you set to show hidden files, folders, and drives, they will appear dimmed to indicate that they are hidden items.

Follow the Steps below and check if that helps.

To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Options.

1. Open File Explorer Options>Click
    onOptions>Click on
    Change folder and search options.

To show hidden files, folders, and drives.

A) In the View tab, select (dot) Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and click/tap on
    OK.

To show protected operating system files.

A) In the View tab, select (dot) Show hidden files, folders, and drives, uncheck the
    Hide protected operating system files box, and click/tap on
    OK.

To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Ribbon.

1. While you have File Explorer open, click/tap on the View tab, and check (show) or uncheck (hide) the
    Hidden items box in the ribbon for what you want.

Hope this information helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Dec 17, 2017
  3. N 73 music edition.

if you just wanted it not to show up in gallery, make the file attribute hidden be it a video or pictures. use a 3rd party explorer apps to do it.

android---01, Dec 17, 2017
  4. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer

What Version of DOS ? What File system does this file reside in ? Most DOS O.S.'s never supported NTFS ! Results could really be mixed.

storageman, Dec 17, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    dir /ah shows hidden and system, dir /as shows only system Code: c:\>dir /ah Volume in drive C is MacBook Volume Serial Number is 56FB-28EE Directory of c:\ 11/20/2017 02:18 PM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin 04/02/2017 06:40 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users] 12/16/2017 04:09 PM <DIR> OneDriveTemp 12/16/2017 04:08 PM 2,818,572,288 pagefile.sys 10/26/2017 10:51 PM <DIR> ProgramData 10/18/2017 12:47 PM <DIR> Recovery 12/16/2017 04:08 PM 16,777,216 swapfile.sys 12/11/2017 10:33 AM <DIR> System Volume Information 2 File(s) 2,835,349,504 bytes 6 Dir(s) 18,647,650,304 bytes free c:\>dir /as Volume in drive C is MacBook Volume Serial Number is 56FB-28EE Directory of c:\ 11/20/2017 02:18 PM <DIR> $Recycle.Bin 04/02/2017 06:40 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users] 12/16/2017 04:08 PM 2,818,572,288 pagefile.sys 10/18/2017 12:47 PM <DIR> Recovery 12/16/2017 04:08 PM 16,777,216 swapfile.sys 12/11/2017 10:33 AM <DIR> System Volume Information 2 File(s) 2,835,349,504 bytes 4 Dir(s) 18,647,650,304 bytes free c:\>[/quote] If you want you can exclude system and just show hidden Code: c:\>dir /ah-s Volume in drive C is MacBook Volume Serial Number is 56FB-28EE Directory of c:\ 12/16/2017 04:09 PM <DIR> OneDriveTemp 10/26/2017 10:51 PM <DIR> ProgramData 0 File(s) 0 bytes 2 Dir(s) 18,645,086,208 bytes free[/quote] Difference between dir /ah and dir /as in File explorer is not "Hide protected operating system files" it is "Show hidden files" so unless I don't understand your question they are not ticking the correct box.

6. craker Win User
    O/S is Win 10 Professional, looking at files on a local disk (NTFS).
    Code: D:\temp>attrib ~variantsnone1.scm A HR D:\temp\~variantsnone1.scm[/quote] See I don't think it has got the system attribute set

and querying the same file with Explorer
    Attachment 168885

craker, Dec 19, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Link is not working. Can you try again.

8. craker Win User

It's a dead link (to a picture I removed, just removed my personal details). Can't seem to remove the link using the editor though...

craker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Attributes - Shows as Hidden in DOS, shows as System in Explorer - Similar Threads - File Attributes Shows

2. How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder: I tried to clear it with total commander but it did not work. I made this folder system and hidean using total commander DOS very long time ago and now it is not visible in a new cloned OS drive . - - - Updated - - - nevermind I changed view option now it is visible 175202
  3. Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Remove System Attribute - Not resetting hidden file: I had a directory that had both the hidden and systemattributes. I wanted it to be visible. I kept trying to fix each of these individually using the Attributecommand: ATTRIB -S C:\X ATTRIB -H C:\X And each time, I got back the message it wouldn't be done: Not...
  4. Restore hidden file attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore hidden file attributes: I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders that are open by default (say documents vs appdata, appdata must be hidden but documents must be visible). Is there a way...
  5. While trying to add Show Hidden Files attributes to Users folder, the Users folder...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    While trying to add Show Hidden Files attributes to Users folder, the Users folder...: I am trying to install a drafting program I purchased online and keep getting a 1305 Error message. While trying to add the 'Show Hidden Files' attribute to the Users folder, I decided to cancel the process as I had selected the 'all subfolders, etc.' option and it was going...
  6. Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer attribute that shows when files in a sub-folder are modified: The "date modified" attribute only updates when a file in the root of a folder is modified. But it does not update if a file in a sub-folder is modified. Is there an attribute that will show when the contents of sub-folders are modified? 119355
  7. Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer.: While doing a system backup today on one of my machines using EaseUs Backup app, it failed to write to the usual folder on a USB external HD. I investigated and found the folder could not indeed be written too. I disconnected the drive and connected it to another PC and found...
  8. Showing System Reserved Partition in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Showing System Reserved Partition in File Explorer?: Hi For some reason Windows 10 is showing the System Reserved partition from Windows 8 in the File Explorer window. It never did this before. See Drive D:\ [img] [img] [img] Can anyone tell me how to make it invisible. Mike 2067
  9. Explorer looses "show hidden files" setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer looses "show hidden files" setting: Hello It seems that each time I restart Windows it forgets that I have set the "Show hidden files" option in the explorer settings. Is this just a stupid bug that I have to live with (thanks, Microsoft) or is there a solution to it? Thanks! 51863
  10. "Show Hidden Files" In File Explorer Automatically Turns Off

in Windows 10 Support
    "Show Hidden Files" In File Explorer Automatically Turns Off: UPDATE: Fixed myself with a couple of registry editing. *Biggrin Hey, so I noticed recently I couldn't look at hidden files (and I could for a long time), so I checked the "Show Hidden Files" checkbox. It automatically turned off... Tried a reboot, no progress. I am an...