Windows 10: File Attributes

Discus and support File Attributes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LornaD'Orsay, Oct 19, 2021.

1. File Attributes

Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying.

:)

LornaD'Orsay, Oct 19, 2021

2. Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 19, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    File Attributes automaticly change in Windows 10

We appreciate updating us. It is also possible that the file attributes automatically changing is because of the application itself every time the file is accessed and the application has full control of it.

In the meantime, you can try removing the full control of the file by following these steps:

• Right-click the file then Properties.
    • Select Security tab and click Edit button.
    • Choose checkbox Deny, click Apply then OK and check if the issue still persists.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 19, 2021
  4. tfwul Win User

File Attributes

Seeking advice on multiple file attribute changer with preview

Regularly.. I wish to update the modified dates of files, based on the dates mentioned IN the documents.

For instance, a list of PDF files, or JPG/PNG files, all in the same folder.

Right now, the process is like this:
    - open each single file
    - remember the date displayed (or write it down)
    - close the file
    - change the file with some attribute change tool
    - open the next file
    .. and so on.

Am seeking a tool that:
    -shows the contents of a file
    -so I can change the modified date shown
    then click on [Next] to display the contents of the next file
    and so on.

I.e. no need to open/close, open/close...remember dates

Most attribute changers can handle 1 file only, or batch (all having the same date) but do not have preview of the contents.

Any suggestions?

tfwul, Oct 19, 2021
Thema:

File Attributes

1. File Attributes - Similar Threads - File Attributes

2. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  3. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  4. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?: Hello Everyone, Call me By Moh I am using a PC passed to me from a family friend, its not really old "6 years according to PC health check". It's an HP notebook running Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 that i have downloaded and installed once i got this PC. The problem is that i...
  5. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?: Hello Everyone, Call me By Moh I am using a PC passed to me from a family friend, its not really old "6 years according to PC health check". It's an HP notebook running Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 that i have downloaded and installed once i got this PC. The problem is that i...
  6. How to Fix Attribute record from file record segment is corrupted?

7. How to use PowerShell to query windows file explorer attribute

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use PowerShell to query windows file explorer attribute: Is there a powershell cmdlet whereby I can query a Windows File Explorer attribute?As an example. Open Microsoft File Explorer. Right click on a white space and choose Short by/More.A Choose Details windows appear.Now you have a list of attributes you can place a check mark...
  8. How to use PowerShell to query windows file explorer attribute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use PowerShell to query windows file explorer attribute: Is there a powershell cmdlet whereby I can query a Windows File Explorer attribute?As an example. Open Microsoft File Explorer. Right click on a white space and choose Short by/More.A Choose Details windows appear.Now you have a list of attributes you can place a check mark...
  9. How to use PowerShell to query windows file explorer attribute

10. Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Archive attribute from hidden files without unhiding them: I found out that about 99.9% of the files on our company shared drive have the Archive attribute set. I need to remove that attribute from all files on that drive, so that they aren't included as 'modified' files when I try to run Robocopy. I'm using the following command...