Windows 10: File backup while system is asleep

Discus and support File backup while system is asleep in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have my Windows 10 PC set up to go to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I am trying to decide on some file backup software. I have looked at Aoemi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by arnold931, Dec 5, 2018.

1. arnold931 Win User

File backup while system is asleep

I have my Windows 10 PC set up to go to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I am trying to decide on some file backup software. I have looked at Aoemi and the software that came with my Western Digital external drive. None of them seem to work while the system is asleep. Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

:)

arnold931, Dec 5, 2018

2. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Dec 5, 2018
  4. File backup while system is asleep

Backup using file history

Hi Doug,

There are limited options when using backup and restore. We suggest that you create a full backup using Windows 10 system image tool, you need to connect external storage with enough available space. See steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • On the left pane, click the Create a system image link.
    • Under Where do you want to save the backup?, select the
      On a hard disk
      option.
    • Using the "On a hard disk" drop-down menu, select the storage to save the backup.
    • Click the Start backup button.

Note: Once you completed the steps, the wizard will proceed to create a full backup of your system, including everything that is stored on the main drive, as well as the system reserved partition.

Robelene Win, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

File backup while system is asleep

1. File backup while system is asleep - Similar Threads - File backup while

2. Computer crashes while asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes while asleep: When I wake up the computer after a long sleep overnight, for example, it sometimes opens such that:-Chrome has been closed-Most edge tabs have been closed-All open Notepad files have been replaced by Unnamed files-All Word files have been closed, even if they weren't...
  3. Computer crashes while asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes while asleep: When I wake up the computer after a long sleep overnight, for example, it sometimes opens such that:-Chrome has been closed-Most edge tabs have been closed-All open Notepad files have been replaced by Unnamed files-All Word files have been closed, even if they weren't...
  4. My wifi disconnects while asleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My wifi disconnects while asleep: What's up y'all. I got a new lenovo ideapad flex 5 running windows 11 and it disconnects from the wifi on sleep mode. does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-disconnects-while-asleep/92b823fb-b509-4189-bd95-dd79f04712cc
  5. My wifi disconnects while asleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My wifi disconnects while asleep: What's up y'all. I got a new lenovo ideapad flex 5 running windows 11 and it disconnects from the wifi on sleep mode. does anyone know how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wifi-disconnects-while-asleep/92b823fb-b509-4189-bd95-dd79f04712cc
  6. Updates while the Surface is asleep and without internet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates while the Surface is asleep and without internet: Is it possible for windows to update on a schedule while the Surface is in a sleep mode and without an active internet connection? More specifically, can it download the updates while connected to the internet, then at a later scheduled time install those updates while asleep...
  7. Fan turns on while computer is asleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fan turns on while computer is asleep or shutdown: I have an HP Envy 15 and the computer fan starts running while the computer is just sitting there idle. I haven't connected any external mouse so the problem is not a key being pressed or the mouse moved. Every time I have to force shutdown by pressing the power button to...
  8. Laptop did a system update while I was asleep and now it BSODs on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop did a system update while I was asleep and now it BSODs on startup: It says my Windows Insider Build has crashed, which confuses me since I never signed up for Windows Insider Builds, and the stop code says "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO" submitted by /u/Post12346 [link] [comments]...
  9. Suppressing notification banners while computer is asleep?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Suppressing notification banners while computer is asleep?: My personal laptop and my work laptop both run on Windows 10. However, when my personal laptop is asleep, notification banners are somehow suppressed, such that when I wake it from sleep they don't ever appear they just stay in the notification center. This is the behavior I...
  10. Backup while PC asleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup while PC asleep: I have scheduled my PC, running Windows 10, to backup to an external hard disk at 2am. As I am sure you know, having read so many complaints on different websites, this doesn't work because the PC is in sleep mode and doesn't wake up to perform the task. The result is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will windows backup and restore work while the laptop is asleep