Windows 10: File cleanup of windows update files

Discus and support File cleanup of windows update files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My C: drive is tight for space. After a 'Routine' update of Windows 10, I know I have to cleanup the update files to recover 2-3 GIGABYTES of space.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dwlmg_437, Oct 8, 2018.

1. dwlmg_437 Win User

File cleanup of windows update files

My C: drive is tight for space. After a 'Routine' update of Windows 10, I know I have to cleanup the update files to recover 2-3 GIGABYTES of space. The problem is that file cleanup takes an INORDINATE amount of time to address the windows update files. It happens on more than one of my windows PCs. Why does it take so much time?

:)

dwlmg_437, Oct 8, 2018
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 8, 2018
  3. R-T-B Win User
    Odd issue with file server

If sfc /scannow is not able to repair the system files, do this to get them from windows update:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

R-T-B, Oct 8, 2018
  4. File cleanup of windows update files

Windows 10 update files

Hi Majid,

If you want to remove update files, you may perform a disk cleanup. You have two options;
    delete temporary files and delete system files. If you need to free up more space, we suggest deleting system files. Here are the steps:

Delete temporary files:

• Type Disk Cleanup in the Cortana search.
    • Select the files that you want to remove under Files to delete, then select
      OK.

Delete system files:

• Select Clean up system files in the Disk Cleanup.
    • Select the file types to get rid of.
    • Select OK.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Ronalene Mat, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

File cleanup of windows update files

1. File cleanup of windows update files - Similar Threads - File cleanup update

2. File History Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Cleanup: I'm on Windows 11, when I try to do a cleanup, I get a message "could not cleanup File History data, Element not Found" How do I get this working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-cleanup/6c0c53dc-426a-456c-b77d-656ff27f036f
  3. Can't delete update cleanup files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete update cleanup files: When I go to settings > storage >storage to delete temporary files I can't delete update cleanup files Everything else that I check for deletion is deleted. I have never had had success with the windows cleanup utility in all my years using windows from XP on, and this time...
  4. Can't delete update cleanup files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete update cleanup files: When I go to settings > storage >storage to delete temporary files I can't delete update cleanup files Everything else that I check for deletion is deleted. I have never had had success with the windows cleanup utility in all my years using windows from XP on, and this time...
  5. File History Cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Cleanup: "Could not clean up File History data""Element not found."I'm attempting to clean up my file history however, I'm faced with that error.Cleaning up my file history would be very useful because it takes up 30% of the space on my D: drive.I've used sfc /scannow and it has...
  6. File History Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Cleanup: "Could not clean up File History data""Element not found."I'm attempting to clean up my file history however, I'm faced with that error.Cleaning up my file history would be very useful because it takes up 30% of the space on my D: drive.I've used sfc /scannow and it has...
  7. File History Cleanup

File History Cleanup: File History Cleanup not working, whatever version of files and folders age selected, it pops up: "Could not clean up File History data, Element not found." I have the Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004. How to make the File History Cleanup work? Please advise....
  8. delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files

delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files: how to delete temp internet files and windows update cleanup files because my c drive is full and I cannot install the latest windows update files. I used the windows method in settings but fails. Troubleshooter is a joke!!!...
  9. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files: Usually, whenever I clear system files in the disk cleanup utility, all of the Windows Update Cleanup stuff goes away. However, recently is has been persistently coming back, which is very annoying, The size of the files is consistently around 54 MB. See screenshot below....
  10. windows cleanup files

windows cleanup files: is it safe to delete windows cleanup files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cleanup-files/cdeb4603-0546-4510-837d-1d455c0f9067