Windows 10: File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

Discus and support File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This apparently happens with FAT32-formatted drives. Haven't noticed this until fairly recently, when I was deleting some stuff off my SD cards and/or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016.

1. File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

This apparently happens with FAT32-formatted drives. Haven't noticed this until fairly recently, when I was deleting some stuff off my SD cards and/or USB sticks:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? [​IMG]

Any ideas on why this is happening, like with a certain botched W10 update or an app?

:)

huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016
  2. &[Mike] Win User

Flashdrive delete confirmation dialogue not displaying correctly on some files.

Hello Sachin,

The dialogue pops up, but displays incorrect information about the file. In the above example I have highlighted in the background the "setup.exe" file that cleary shows 79Kbits for file size. There should also be a date modified for the file in the dialogue
    box as well. Those items are missing when you try to delete a file from the root of a flash drive in windows 10 as long as you have the "Dispaly delete confirmation dialog" enabled, which I believe is default for flashdrives.

I believe all you need to do is insert your own flash drive that has files in the root directory and try to delete a file (as long as you have the delete confirmation dialogue enabled) and you will see that the file will display 0 bytes and not show the
    date modified. However if you go into a folder in your flashdrive, the symptom dissappears.

Thanks for looking into this matter.

&[Mike], Mar 31, 2016
  3. mornepet Win User
    background picture problem

Hi there,

Pretty new to this but have a similar problem. I have installed GPE manager and deleted all background files but am unable to delete a file called 'background-3.png' for some odd reason it is a 0 byte size file created on Thu Jan 01 01:00:00 1970. When trying
    to delete this file GPE file manager reports a I/O error. Can anybody tell me how to fix this. I will be eternally grateful.

mornepet, Mar 31, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

It's just asking for confirmation.
    Just click "yes" and the file will be deleted.
    What's wrong with that ?

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  5. I know, but I'm talking about the file size reported, as illustrated by this:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? [​IMG]

FAT16 and NTFS drives don't appear to be affected by the glitch.

huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I missed that.
    Thank you.

I have no answer for that.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Anyone else have any clues about this?

huckleberrypie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

1. File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? - Similar Threads - File delete dialogue

2. Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files: Is it save and should I delete empty directories and 0 byte files just to clean things up? If it is a good idea is there a tool to find them? 179888
  3. Why does my PC take 10 minutes to delete a 0 byte folder and deletes 1 gb files almost...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does my PC take 10 minutes to delete a 0 byte folder and deletes 1 gb files almost...: when windows starts up windows explorer is just frozen on startup but after 1 minute it's normal again, but when i click "open files" on any programs,any files, the windows explorer just freezes on "Working on it" for 1 minute and i can access it, and by file transfering, 1gb...
  4. How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you feel the need to delete empty 0-byte files in Windows 10, you […] This article How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit creating/downloading files even though size works, disk space says 0 bytes. I tried checking my SSD thinking it had some problems, but all tools said it was at 100% health. My system is updated and I ran system checks sfc, DISM but no errors were...
  6. 0 bytes Files, Drive failure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 bytes Files, Drive failure: Hi, I have recently met a problem with my Data Drive. Alot of my Files have been appearing as 0kb and unusable, many of them video files that I remember watching just fine a few months ago (2-3 months). Some game files have also been turning 0kb, making some of my Steam...
  7. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  8. Having trouble deleting this file

in Windows 10 Support
    Having trouble deleting this file: [img] I want to delete this file but every time I click on it this pops up and I can't delete it. 47737
  9. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090
  10. File will not delete

in Windows 10 Support
    File will not delete: Hello, I have an image in a folder that apparently was corrupt, but now is just a file with no extension that refuses to be found or deleted. The actual error is "Could not find this item. Verify the item's location and try again." I've ran into these before on previous...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 delete confirmation 0 bytes

2. windows 10 file delete dialog displays 0 bytes

3. delete confirmation 0 bytes problem