Windows 10: File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

Discus and support File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This apparently happens with FAT32-formatted drives. Haven't noticed this until fairly recently, when I was deleting some stuff off my SD cards and/or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016.

1. File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

This apparently happens with FAT32-formatted drives. Haven't noticed this until fairly recently, when I was deleting some stuff off my SD cards and/or USB sticks:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? [​IMG]

Any ideas on why this is happening, like with a certain botched W10 update or an app?

:)

huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016
  2. &[Mike] Win User

Flashdrive delete confirmation dialogue not displaying correctly on some files.

Hello Sachin,

The dialogue pops up, but displays incorrect information about the file. In the above example I have highlighted in the background the "setup.exe" file that cleary shows 79Kbits for file size. There should also be a date modified for the file in the dialogue
    box as well. Those items are missing when you try to delete a file from the root of a flash drive in windows 10 as long as you have the "Dispaly delete confirmation dialog" enabled, which I believe is default for flashdrives.

I believe all you need to do is insert your own flash drive that has files in the root directory and try to delete a file (as long as you have the delete confirmation dialogue enabled) and you will see that the file will display 0 bytes and not show the
    date modified. However if you go into a folder in your flashdrive, the symptom dissappears.

Thanks for looking into this matter.

&[Mike], Mar 31, 2016
  3. mornepet Win User
    background picture problem

Hi there,

Pretty new to this but have a similar problem. I have installed GPE manager and deleted all background files but am unable to delete a file called 'background-3.png' for some odd reason it is a 0 byte size file created on Thu Jan 01 01:00:00 1970. When trying
    to delete this file GPE file manager reports a I/O error. Can anybody tell me how to fix this. I will be eternally grateful.

mornepet, Mar 31, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

It's just asking for confirmation.
    Just click "yes" and the file will be deleted.
    What's wrong with that ?

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  5. I know, but I'm talking about the file size reported, as illustrated by this:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? [​IMG]

FAT16 and NTFS drives don't appear to be affected by the glitch.

huckleberrypie, Mar 31, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I missed that.
    Thank you.

I have no answer for that.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Anyone else have any clues about this?

huckleberrypie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes?

1. File delete dialogue reports files to be deleted as having 0 bytes? - Similar Threads - File delete dialogue

2. Can't delete 0 byte .exe file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete 0 byte .exe file: Hello folk, so last night I was downloading things and downloaded this .exe which was worth 0 bytes, I put it through virus total and nothing came up so I ran it. Nothing happened or so I thought so I tried to delete it, when I tried to delete it I was met with a window...
  3. Can't delete 0 byte .exe file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete 0 byte .exe file: Hello folk, so last night I was downloading things and downloaded this .exe which was worth 0 bytes, I put it through virus total and nothing came up so I ran it. Nothing happened or so I thought so I tried to delete it, when I tried to delete it I was met with a window...
  4. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  5. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  6. Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting empty directories and 0 byte files: Is it save and should I delete empty directories and 0 byte files just to clean things up? If it is a good idea is there a tool to find them? 179888
  7. How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you feel the need to delete empty 0-byte files in Windows 10, you […] This article How to delete Empty 0-byte files in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit creating/downloading files even though size works, disk space says 0 bytes. I tried checking my SSD thinking it had some problems, but all tools said it was at 100% health. My system is updated and I ran system checks sfc, DISM but no errors were...
  9. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 delete confirmation 0 bytes

2. windows 10 file delete dialog displays 0 bytes

3. delete confirmation 0 bytes problem