Windows 10: File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows

Discus and support File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After an abrupt shutdown of Windows, we are seeing the pg_ctl.exe file getting deleted automatically. The file is used to start and stop Postgres as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shiningstar86, Dec 15, 2020.

1. File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows

After an abrupt shutdown of Windows, we are seeing the pg_ctl.exe file getting deleted automatically.

The file is used to start and stop Postgres as a Windows service.

Due to this Postgres service cannot be started and need to be re-installed.

We have checked the antivirus and confirmed that it didn’t delete the file.

Can you let us know if anyone has observed any file getting deleted upon abrupt shutdown of Windows?

:)

Shiningstar86, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Weer Win User

Reminder: Microsoft Windows 7 Beta Automatic Two-Hour Shutdowns Begin Today

Does that work?

3. files are automatically deleting

whenever i downloading or copying zip file in my PC they are deleting automatically.

• My storage sense is off
    • I have added Exclusion for the zip file type.
    • I have deleted all the windows updates ( enabled to delete some of them as window is not providing permission to do so)

anshugupta2, Dec 15, 2020
  4. File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows

Abrupt shutdown - all files lost

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience this has caused. We'll be happy to help you fix this issue.

Before we proceed, provide more information.

1) Do you have any other User accounts in your computer? Did you check the files in other User accounts if any?

2) Did you manually search for your files by entering the file name in the search bar?

I suggest you to refer the link below to retrieve your files from the Windows. Old folder and check:

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder

1. Check if you are signed in to temporary profile.

How to identify if you are signed in with a temporary profile:

◾Go to Action center on your desktop & see this notice

Go to Settings --> Sync my settings. See message in red "You are logged in with a temporary profile"

restart machine/sign in with different profile.

**NOTE: backup any data created/saved while logged into the temporary profile as it will be deleted when you sign out.

2. Check for the files using Cortana Search or File Explorer

• Make sure to unhide all files and folders before searching: Show hidden files

• Use Boolean filters: Tips for finding files

• Use wildcard: Example, *.doc, *.mp3, *.jpg

3. Check the files on other locations

• Check the files in Windows.Old/User folder ( Go to C:\Windows.old and C:\User. (ensure sign in as an administrator))

• Check the files in AppData and Temp folders (Windows + R and type %appdata% and %temp%)

• Check the files in OneDrive folders, make sure PC is connected to the Internet

• Check the files in other drive if available (D:, EFile deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows :)

• Check the files in Recycle Bin

4. Run Search and Indexing troubleshooter to diagnose and fix common problems with search and indexing and then try to search the files again.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + X” to click on “Control Panel”.
    • Click on “Troubleshooting” and click on “View all”.
    • Click on “Search and Indexing” to run the troubleshooter.
    Once this is done, restart the computer and check if this helps.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows

1. File deleted automatically on abrupt shutdown of windows - Similar Threads - File deleted automatically

2. Abrupt Shutdowns Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Abrupt Shutdowns Windows 10: Hello! Over the past couple weeks my Windows 10 machine has been shutting down abruptly no sign out. Screen shuts off, and following that after up to 30 seconds the LEDS in the tower follow suit.BIOS, Win 10 version and all GPU drivers should all be up to date.The PC itself...
  3. Abrupt Shutdowns Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Abrupt Shutdowns Windows 10: Hello! Over the past couple weeks my Windows 10 machine has been shutting down abruptly no sign out. Screen shuts off, and following that after up to 30 seconds the LEDS in the tower follow suit.BIOS, Win 10 version and all GPU drivers should all be up to date.The PC itself...
  4. Abrupt Shutdowns Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  6. Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 abrupt shutdown issue when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  7. files are automatically deleting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files are automatically deleting: whenever i downloading or copying zip file in my PC they are deleting automatically. My storage sense is off I have added Exclusion for the zip file type. I have deleted all the windows updates enabled to delete some of them as window is not providing permission to do so...
  8. Windows 10 Unable to start after abrupt shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Unable to start after abrupt shutdown: [IMG][IMG]My PC shutdown due to power failure and now when i try to start, it is landing in blue screen “ Choose an option” and thereafter when i click on “ troubleshoot” —> “ Start-up Repair”, the problem is not fixing. I have spent 6 hours but the issues is not solved....
  9. Deleting file automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting file automatically: My files deleting automatically when i click in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-automatically/7134976a-1623-4d8f-b86d-fbc1929d7dcf"
  10. Automatic delete files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic delete files: Hello. I play gta sa and this game require more .asi files for better gaming. But when I put .asi files in this game directory and turn on game, these files are delete by win10. When i restart pc, will do same thing. Where are problem? How can I fix it? I dont have any...