Windows 10: File Directory Issue

Discus and support File Directory Issue in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; All, First of all I just wanted to say everyone has been very helpful on my past PC issues. Your help is greatly appreciated. Here's my problem:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by craigmh74, Mar 18, 2018.

1. craigmh74 Win User

File Directory Issue

All,

First of all I just wanted to say everyone has been very helpful on my past PC issues. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Here's my problem:

A few weeks back I had to reinstall Windows 10. After completion I noticed a problem with File Explorer. When I open it up I noticed some of the icons were white boxes. After a few minutes of being online the directory would diminish some. Instead of the normal hierarchy format with all the folders, now there are only a few folders and I can't extend the hierarchy. Also, the file explorers is taking some time of loading (green bar on top). There seems like to be a memory issue.

Here's what I tried so far.

• checkdisk
    • scannow
    • reload icon cache

I've attached some screen shots on a Word document to give you some visual aid. Any suggestions???

Take care,
    Craig

:)

craigmh74, Mar 18, 2018

2. File Manager will NOT create Directory Names or Rename a Directory

8:11 PM 2/10/2016

8. The File Manager will NOT create Directory Names

Nor will it Rename a Directory

It works Making Files, and Renaming them - just Not Directories.

I even used the Clean Manager on all unimportant files,

then Optimized (Defrag) the file structure, and Shutdown the system,

then Rebooted the system from cold. No Good. Still Failing.

The Windows Defender is up to date - Today.

No known issues were reported there.

9:02 PM 2/10/2016

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I went too fast and left some info out.

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop System,

and am running Windows 10, version 1511,

and use a Wide Screen Monitor.

As I have been doing for years, I create the directory

in the Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer) that

has always been considered the File Manager.

As always, I create the Directory, then Move (or Copy)

the desired files into that Directory.

Yesterday the File Manager STOPPED Making Directories.

It also won't allow a Directory to be Renamed.

And it won't allow a Directory to be Moved.

I have resorted to using the DOS Command Console

to Create and Remove desired Directories.

I issue the "md" command to Make a Directory.

I issue the "rd" command to Remove a Directory.

This is a longer and tedious way to work, but being

an old hand at DOS it is the only File Manager I have.

I would like to obtain a downloadable version of

Windows 10, v1511 (or the latest version)

so that I can re-install it as is necessary.

KennethLilly, Mar 18, 2018
  3. Missing Files with Windows 10

I am having the same issue also. I do see the Windows.old directory, I was able to find my old directories with no files in them. All of my files are missing.

OrlandoJames, Mar 18, 2018
Thema:

File Directory Issue

1. File Directory Issue - Similar Threads - File Directory Issue

2. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents: I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates....
  3. Copying files into WindowsApps directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files into WindowsApps directory: Hello, I want to copy some files into game directory in WindowsApps, but firstly I have access denied, so I have changed permission for every user. Now I have got access to that directory, but I cannot copy any files into it. Everytime it says that I don't have right...
  4. Random files in all directories

in Windows 10 Support
    Random files in all directories: Hello, All over the desktop and in random folders on my USB stick I have XSL stylesheet files. The seem like Office/World style templates. If I delete them they reappear when office is opened. I tried to repair office but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas why these are...
  5. the file or directory is currpted and unreadble.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the file or directory is currpted and unreadble.: guys I was in middle of couple updates and after the installation was complete all apps including windows troubleshoot chrome steam idm and everything fails to open. I tried cmd sfc scannow but didn't work. then I realized that apps only works if I open with run as an...
  6. Program Files Directory W10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Files Directory W10: Hello The C Dr. on my one year old Dell laptop is too full to download new programs. The laptop is only used for my work as a musician but the programs I do use are quite large. I followed instructions from another thread in this forum to change the program files...
  7. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume. Error: {Corrupt File} The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx} Volume Name: Guidance: The volume is recognized by...
  8. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...
  9. Directory file count

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory file count: Does anyone know of a program that when run will give you the number of files in each directory. Thanks Shane. 63754
  10. Directory file problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory file problem: Hi staff, Been using my brand new laptop for 3 days now, and I'm still a bit clumsy with Windows Edge... So from the directory I want to remove a picture file that by accident was loaded from an usb twice. Must have done something wrong 'cause the map is not removable and...