Windows 10: File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer

Discus and support File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows 10 Dell replacing old Windows 10 Dell. All data (docs, pics, xls, etc.) kept on second drive. Moved data drive to new machine. Have same... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Paul19804, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Paul19804 Win User

File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer

Windows 10 Dell replacing old Windows 10 Dell. All data (docs, pics, xls, etc.) kept on second drive. Moved data drive to new machine. Have same user name, login, etc., HOWEVER, I am getting file permission errors on modifying, saving, deleting, moving files. I've given EVERYONE Modify, Read&Execute, Read, Write permissions on everything. And yet, docs and xls, open as READ ONLY to me; I can't move items in/out of directories. There must be some underlying user code associated with these folders/files and I'm not it! How do I fix this?

Thanks

:)

Paul19804, Oct 22, 2019
  2. Snuh23 Win User

Windows 10 - Documents directory moved once , but cannot be moved again.

Hi,

To save space on my C: drive, I moved my Documents directory to another new, otherwise empty drive (GFile/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer :) using the right click - properties - location - move
    option on the original Documents directory under "This PC". This moved it ok, but I then realised that I had moved everything to the root of the new drive instead of into a new "Documents" directory. I now have a "G:\" item showing under "This
    PC" instead of "Documents" but otherwise everything seems to work ok. However, I need to fix this as I also want to move other libraries such as Pictures etc to the G: drive as well.

So, I thought I would undo this by moving it back to where it was then move it again to the new target properly. However, I cannot get this to work.:

• I create a new "Documents" sub directory in my user directory in c:\users.
    • I use the right click - properties - location - move on the current location ("G:\" under "This PC") and select the new Documents directory I created in the step above as the new location.
    • I click "OK" and get the warning message recommending that all files are moved, and I click "OK" again.
    • I then get an "access denied" message and nothing is moved.

My user ID is in the administrators group. I have tried this again to another drive, and I have even given my user ID specific full access privileges to the target drive just in case. However, I the same "access denied" issue noted above every time,
    and I have discovered the following:

• After I click "OK" on the "Access Denied" message, I check the target directory and it no longer seems to be there.
    • I can see the target directory again if I deselect the "Hide protected operating system files" setting for the drive.
    • The target drive is set to "Hidden" and seems to have been assigned as a protected operating system directory by the move process. I assume this happens before anything is actually moved and this results in the "access denied" issue.

This happens every time. I have created several new test target directories across a few different data only drives. Before I try the move, the directory is not hidden (or seen as a protected operating system directory), but as soon as I try the move,
    it is then set as hidden etc and the move fails. I can manually copy files in to these new directories ok but the move process fails every time.

Any ideas?

Snuh23, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Script can copy file directory in one spot but not the other

On drive E: on a Windows Server, I have directory "test". And then maybe 4 more directories down I have directory "fred". My script runs in a different tree under test. It points a to the fred directory which contains files, and sub directories with files. The script looks for files with a certain extension, makes a backup of them, then edits the original files. Now this works for all of the files directly in the "fred" directory. But the files in any of the sub directories of fred, give an issue with copying the file. As a test, I copied fred and all its contents to E:\. I adjusted the script to look at E:\Fred, and everything worked fine. The originals were copied, and edited as expected.

I compared permissions between E:\Fred and E:\test\..\..\..\fred. they're basically the same. They both have a checkmark in read only(which only resets itself after i uncheck it). The only minor difference was that E:\test\..\..\..\fred didnt have a couple of special permissions for the Users group. This involved, modify, dir traversal, read and execute. I gave those permissions but still no luck.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 22, 2019
  4. anjilearn Win User

access denial

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

1. I am not trying to change a file on the C drive. I am working on the D drive with a disc/disk. When I click on properties there is not an option for Security. The options are General, Hardware, Sharing, Customize, and Recording. When I click properties on
    a folder within the D drive I am given the options of General, Sharing, and Customize. The general attributes are designated as Read only. When I uncheck the read only option, I am prompted with a pop-up that indicated Access Denied - You will need to provide
    administrator permission to change these attributes. I click continue as I am an administrator within this computer. A new pop-up window opens labelled as Error Applying Attributes with a message : An error occurred applying attributes to the file D:.*/*.JPG.
    Access is denied. The *.* is indicative of each and every file as it states this message for each file if I click ignore.

2. Again, there is not an option for Security so I am unable to proceed with these instructions.

3. I entered what you suggested in the command prompt.

The response was :

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

There is no change in the D drive access denial.

When I open security properties within the C drive there are the following group or user names:

Authenticated Users

SYSTEM

Administrators (family-computer\Administrators)

Users (family-computer\Users)

I do not understand who or what Authenticated Users or SYSTEM are referring to. There are two administrators and two normal users on this computer.

The Authenticated Users field has only a Special Permissions checked in ALLOW.

SYSTEM has ALLOW checked on all fields except Special Permission.

Administrators has an ALLOW checked on all fields except Special Permissions.

I am unable to remove the Special Permissions Allow for the Authenticated Users. Do you suggest I try removing this Group or User name? Is this safe to do or will I do damage?

anjilearn, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

1. File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer - Similar Threads - File Directory Permissions

2. moving C drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving C drive to a new computer: Hello all,My computer is acting up and I decided to build a new one.My plan is to simply install my C drive Windows 11 into the new build and hope everything goes OK.If it matters, my current motherboard is a ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Z390 chipset, and the new board will be an...
  3. moving C drive to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    moving C drive to a new computer: Hello all,My computer is acting up and I decided to build a new one.My plan is to simply install my C drive Windows 11 into the new build and hope everything goes OK.If it matters, my current motherboard is a ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi Z390 chipset, and the new board will be an...
  4. Trying to move/copy multiple files to new directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to move/copy multiple files to new directory: For a couple of decades I have copied or moved multiple files at a time by holding down the SHIFT KEY, selecting the files, them moving or copying. I don't know if it is the newer faster machines or Widows sensitivity or just in a hurry to get ahead of me and OPENING the...
  5. Moving spare drives to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving spare drives to a new computer.: I just built my new computer and installed windows on a new drive. I've moved my spare drives D:, E: and F: on the old puter to the computer and now they all have "System Reserved" partitions and my data isn't accessible. Any idea how to get to these files? Any help...
  6. Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move or rename of a directory on USB drive deletes all files/directories in it.: Window 10 home on a Lenovo IdeaPad: I have a new 2Tbyte USB FLASH drive. On using it as a backup I get Error 80070570 errors. To debug I copied one of the files that had the error to a different directory with no problem. I deleted the original/error directory and renamed...
  7. moving files to a new computer

moving files to a new computer: My hard drive is dying and I need to move my data and programs from a Windows 10 operating system to a new computer with Windows 10. I would like to use writable CDs....
  8. Moving a Directory to Storage Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving a Directory to Storage Drive: I'm quite sure many people move a Directory to a Storage Drive so some software will act appropriately, like Pictures for instance. Some computers even come with an SSD and a Storage drive OOTB, but they don't put any Directories on the Storage Drive. My question is, how...
  9. moving files to a new computer

moving files to a new computer: I have a six-year-old computer running Windows 10 and want to move all my files from it to a new computer also running Windows 10. What's the best/easiest way to do it?...
  10. Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone

Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone: My goal is to setup my current computer and an older laptop to run together over a home network (specifically, to run flight simulator x steam edition on my newer "host" and use the older "client" to run certain add-ons). I've troubleshot my way through a load of problems and...