Windows 10: File disappear after changing the owner

Discus and support File disappear after changing the owner in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I try to change the owner of a folder to myself.After that, i change who can acces it that no one can see beside me. I am the only one who can see it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexG4311, Nov 26, 2020.

1. AlexG4311 Win User

File disappear after changing the owner

I try to change the owner of a folder to myself.After that, i change who can acces it that no one can see beside me. I am the only one who can see it but when i restart my laptop i cant now see the file. The folder but it says i cannot acces the file. I look on the properties of the folder and it say 0 mb. When i look on the peopeeries of the hard drive, the storage is still there but i just cant see the files. What should i do??

HELP ME PLSS!!

:)

AlexG4311, Nov 26, 2020
  2. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Skiff640 Win User

Excel changes the owner of file during save

When Excel saves my workbook file, it changes the NTFS ownership of the file to the user account that is using Excel. I need it to allow the data to be changed within the workbook, but not change the file's ownership. Any ideas?

• Windows 10 Pro ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • Office 2010 (Excel) ... clean recent install ... all updates are current
    • The original owner of Excel file is in the Administrator group
    • Excel user is not in the Administrator group
    • Excel user has the following inherited permissions to the file, through a group, inherited down from the folder in which it resides:
    Modify
    Read and execute
    Read
    Write
    • Excel user does not have the following permissions. I checked this in Properties using the "Effective Access" feature:
    Full Control
    Change permissions
    Take ownership

The only unusual thing is the Excel file came from an XP machine. I don't see how that would affect anything but ...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ... I tried everything I can think of, and have searched this forum and the internet without success.

Thanks

Skiff640, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. File disappear after changing the owner - Similar Threads - File disappear changing

2. changing owner of laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing owner of laptop: Someone gifted me a laptop and used his email and info while purchasing, setting up the laptop. Know I want to remove its authority and had the windows product key linked to my Microsoft account and change the owner status to me. Tell me how to do this?...
  3. Files disappeared after changing internal cables

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files disappeared after changing internal cables: I'm a little distressed because all of my personal files has just suddenly disappeared. I have recently changed my computer chassis, and it was all plugged in to work correctly. I have 2x m.2 drives, one nvme and one sata, and 2x sata HDD's, a 4TB and a 8TB.I spent the time...
  4. File owner changes

in Windows 10 Support
    File owner changes: I backup my files to a USB on another PC and the owner changes to a long string (S-1-5-21-2070691468-2192114673-407588093-1001) - what's going on??? 175144
  5. Change owner of computer, leave files intact

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change owner of computer, leave files intact: My wife and I both have accounts on a Microsoft Surface 3. I want to remove my account, but leave all the files on the machine and to have her become the only account on the machine, maintaining her access to all accounts....
  6. changing the owners id

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    changing the owners id: I recently bought a business from my former boss. My computers still have his name on them. where do I go to change that. Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-owners-id/33ca4c7f-0612-4c99-8a73-cf25e4bd80a6
  7. Change of owner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change of owner: I have obtained a second-hand PC that runs windows 10. This has the original owner set-up as admin and a second person as 'user account' how do I delete these two accounts and install myself as 'admin' ( I will be the sole user) without altering other programs and settings?...
  8. change owners

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change owners: how do i change administrators and make this HP laptop running windows 10 that was givin to me mine ? my account etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners/21f8316d-80f4-482d-a744-709c18837e35"
  9. No text on Windows 10 after changing all file owners to Everyone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No text on Windows 10 after changing all file owners to Everyone: I changed the security on all C: files to everyone and gave everyone all file permissions. Now there is no text on the desktop or any other useful app. Can't even see text in a command prompt dialog box with the run command. I have booted in Toubleshooter / Advanced options...
  10. Excel changes the owner of file during save

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel changes the owner of file during save: When Excel saves my workbook file, it changes the NTFS ownership of the file to the user account that is using Excel. I need it to allow the data to be changed within the workbook, but not change the file's ownership. Any ideas? Windows 10 Pro ... clean recent install ......