Windows 10: File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error

Discus and support File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; At times when you try to empty the Recycle Bin, it results in an error— File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 1, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error

At times when you try to empty the Recycle Bin, it results in an error— File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. This may sound out of place because all you needed was to remove the files from the Recycle bin and not open it – and you still got the program association error. This post takes a look at the reasons and possible solutions.

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error Recycle-Bin-File-does-not-have-a-program-associated.png

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin

What is happening here is that Windows cannot perform the activities related to Recycle Bin because it cannot find the association with the action. Follow these methods to fix the problem on your PC.

1. Fix corrupted Windows 10 Recycle bin
    2. Run System File Checker and DISM Scan
    3. Delete files in Safe Mode
    4. Perform a System Restore

You will need admin permission to execute some of the methods.

1] Fix corrupted Recycle bin

A simple yet effective command can fix a corrupted Recycle Bin. All you need to do is run the following command on an elevated Command Prompt.

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

This ‘rd’ command will reset the $Recycle.bin folder, present on the C drive. You will have to do this for every partition on your hard disk by replacing C with the drive letter/s.

2] Run System File Checker Scan

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error Replace-System-Program-using-SFC-tool.jpg

SFC command can fix any corrupted system file such as Recycle Bin. It is possible that some system file which is related with the Recycle Bin. Run the following command on an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell.

sfc /scannow

It will scan the system and look for files that are corrupt or different from their current version. And replace them with the current one from the system image.

If this does not help, repairing the system image using DISM could help.

3] Delete files in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Safe Mode loads the operating system with a minimal set of system files and device drivers. This allows bypassing any conflict that could cause the problem when removing files.

To boot Windows 10 in Safe mode, you can use the System Configuration utility, aka MSConfig.

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error boot-windows-10-in-safe-mode-600x424.jpg

• Open Run prompt using Win + R
    • Type msconfig and press the Enter key
    • Under the Boot tab, check the box next to Safe Boot, and select the radio button next to minimal.
    • Click apply, and restart the computer.

Once you are there, try to empty the Recycle Bin.

4] Perform a System Restore

At times things cannot be fixed, and the only option is to restore Windows PC to a state where everything was working fine. However, this depends if you have been creating a system restore. Here is how to check and restore:

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error System-Restore-Windows.png

• Type System Restore in the Start Menu Search box.
    • Click on Recovery > Open System Restore.
    • Click on the Next button to view the list of system restores available.
    • Select one which you think worked fine, and restore it.

These pointers should help you resolve the problem where emptying the Recycle bin resulted in an error.

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error Recycle-Bin-File-does-not-have-a-program-associated.png
    This article File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 1, 2021
  2. Jan Del Win User

recycle bin

Hi George,

To prevent your files from being deleted from the Recycle Bin, we suggest increasing the maximum file size your Recycle Bin can keep by following the steps below:

• Right click on the Recycle Bin icon.
    • Under the Settings for selected location, select Custom size.
    • Fill up the box for your allotted maximum file size for your Recycle Bin.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Jun 1, 2021
  3. bro67 Win User
    Recycle bin association

Did you make any changes or install any security software? If no multiple drives, you should only have one drive under it. Since there is no program associated with the icon in File Explorer, run this. See if the Registry fix in this will solve the problem. http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...indows-10-fix/

There is also this fix:
    Your recycle bin corrupted with no reason? Cannot find effective methods to fix and restore recycle bin in Windows 10? In this article, you’ll find effective solutions to repair & fix corrupted Windows 10 recycle bin and restore all lost data with ease. Read and find solutions now.
    Recycle bin stops working, warning me with “Corrupted” error, help!

"Have you ever met such a dilemma that the recycle bin stops working in Windows 10 for no reason. And the system keeps warning me 'Corrupted' error when I tried to use the recycle bin and get my deleted data back.
    Now I cannot delete useless files directly and I even don’t know how to recover deleted files? So if you do know how to repair or fix corrupted Windows 10 recycle bin and get lost data back, please help me. Thank you very much
    ."
    According to some Windows users, recycle bin corrupt problem mainly happen among Windows 8/8.1/7 and Windows 10 users. Here now EaseUS makes it simple and easy for users to restore corrupted recycle bin and lost data in Windows 10 or recover deleted files Windows 8 now.
    Step 1: Fix & repair corrupted Windows 10 recycle bin

Here are some fixes that you can try to repair corrupted recycle bin in Windows 10/8.1/8/7:
    Method 1. Run CMD to fix corrupted Windows 10 recycle bin

1. 1. Go to Start > Click All Programs > Accessories;
    2. 2. Right-click Command Prompt > Select “run cmd as administrator”.
    3. 3. Type: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin and hit Enter.
    4. 4. Reboot computer and then you can reuse the Recycle Bin again.
    If this doesn’t work, open cmd window again and type: sfc / scannow > Enter. System File Checker will check and fix the problem for you.
    Method 2. Delete all permissions, corrupted recycle bin and reinstall recycle bin in Windows
    1. Delete all permissions and corrupted recycle bin

• Go to Control Panel > Tab File Explorer > Click View;
    • Uncheck or unhide system protected operating files > Go to open each drive and you'll see the Recycle.bin folder and permissions with an additional recycle.bin;
    • Delete all the permissions, all the recycle.bin(s) on each drive and then Restart Windows.
    2. Reinstall recycle bin in Windows 10/8/7

• Right-click on Desktop > Select Personalize;
    • Click on Themes > Click Desktop Icon settings under Related Settings;
    • Check Recycle Bin > Click Apply.

bro67, Jun 1, 2021
  4. mopar3 Win User

File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error

Recycle bin association

When I click the Recycle Bin icon on the Desk Top I get a window saying -

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a
    program or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Programs control
    panel."

This problem started recently.

I’ve searched all over Microsoft’s web site, no help at all.
    I’ve searched the on board Help on my computer.
    I’ve search the Net. with no help.
    I’ve tried doing what it says in the Default Programs control panel. I no help.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, mopar

mopar3, Jun 1, 2021
Thema:

1. File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action – Recycle bin error - Similar Threads - File does program

2. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  3. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  4. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action: Very recently and very suddenly, whenever I try to play Sims 4 bought through Steam I get this error message - This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  5. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action: Very recently and very suddenly, whenever I try to play Sims 4 bought through Steam I get this error message - This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  6. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.: This problem started after I formatted my backup drive and set it up for automatic backups again for a fresh backup. The error message does not show a file name just a drive letter and it happens with 2 different drives. The message keeps popping up while I am working on...
  7. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.: This problem started after I formatted my backup drive and set it up for automatic backups again for a fresh backup. The error message does not show a file name just a drive letter and it happens with 2 different drives. The message keeps popping up while I am working on...
  8. "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action": Every time i attempt to download a specific file.dll it says I have no associated app to install the .dll file. I dont know how to fix this, as i have multiple unzip apps, and none of the aps on this pc have the option in app defaults to unzip/install a .dll file. Can anyone...
  9. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action......

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action......: I am so sick of this error! I've googled the the **** out of this and none of the proposed solutions worked.I have tried:1. the isStartup registry edit - those keys were already present2. SFC /Scannow3. DISM 4. reset default programsThis does NOT happen when i click on a...
  10. This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please...

in Windows 10 Customization
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please...: New computer. Win 10 pro. I have installed just a few apps so far. Clicking on a word document, powerpoint document or adobe file gives the message below. I have Office365 installed and licensed. Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017 installed and licensed. Help! This file does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Which file corrupts in windows10 when is lack an associated app to run the action