Windows 10: File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

Discus and support File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ngollan, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ngollan Win User

File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos").

That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the location will silently stop being versioned and backed up.

On top of that, re-adding the location now makes File History slap a complete (several hundreds gigabytes!) set of new version of unchanged (I checked) files into the backup location.

Is there anything to keep FH from forgetting locations and tell it not to be dumb around unchanged files when re-adding them?

***Modified Title from: File history forgets locations, duplicates files ***

:)

ngollan, Feb 10, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Feb 10, 2019
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Feb 10, 2019
  4. File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

File History won't work, says insufficient space

Hi,

It is possible that the user profiles are also being restored when restoring your files in
    File History. We suggest that you manually choose the files you want to restore. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Search for File History.
    • Click the Restore personal files option on the left pane of your screen.
    • Select the folders you want to restore and then click the restore icon.
    Note: Make sure that you don't copy the duplicated folders listed.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

1. File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File duplicating issue

2. File History issues on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History issues on WIndows 10: I volunteer at a local retirement community helping the seniors with their computers. I have two Windows 10 computers running File History as a backup device. One is also running OneDrive The File History routine is unrealiable. It either does not copy all the documents or it...
  3. File History issues on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History issues on WIndows 10: I volunteer at a local retirement community helping the seniors with their computers. I have two Windows 10 computers running File History as a backup device. One is also running OneDrive The File History routine is unrealiable. It either does not copy all the documents or it...
  4. File History issues on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Duplicate backups maintained in File History.

Duplicate backups maintained in File History.: My computer is names "MYCOMPUTER". Why does File History maintain a Folder called "MYCOMPUTER" under folder "USER" which is under folder "FILEHISTORY", and hen another folder "MYCOMPUTER" on the backup drive. It looks like a duplicate....
  6. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  7. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  8. File history forgets locations, duplicates files

File history forgets locations, duplicates files: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  9. File History - Duplicates

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - Duplicates: So I've become suspicious on why my 3TB HDD all of a sudden has got around 900GB left, even though I have around 300GB of user data (Most not updated regularly). So I turn to file history and try to figure out what the hell is going on and have realized this thing is...
  10. Windows 10 File history issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 File history issues: Hey, My main issue is that part of folders that I could see when right click on a file\folder > Properties > Previous Versions several days ago are now missing. In addition, the folders that I can see, doesn't show the modified date. It is set to use file history on...