Windows 10: file encryption option greyed out

Discus and support file encryption option greyed out in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; i cant select the encrypt option in properties its greyed out please help... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DrewTownsend, Dec 1, 2018.

1. file encryption option greyed out

i cant select the encrypt option in properties its greyed out please help

:)

DrewTownsend, Dec 1, 2018

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Dec 1, 2018
  3. Jayberry Win User
    File Encryption

I've been curious about encrypting files in Windows without using 3rd party software. Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and now Windows 10 are all supposed to support this function but the option to encrypt has always been greyed out for me - on all four OS versions. I've
    seen community answers suggesting changes to the registry, but I don't believe it should be that complicated if it is offered as a function. What gives? Why can't I just flip some enabling switch to use the encrypt function?

Cheers,

Jayberry, Dec 1, 2018
  4. file encryption option greyed out

encrypted files

Hi Iman,

Error message 0x80071771 means that you need to restore the file encryption key in order for you to decrypt the encrypted files. On the other hand, you can still try these steps and see if it will work:

• Right-click the file or folder that you want to decrypt.
    • Click File ownership and click Personal.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

file encryption option greyed out

1. file encryption option greyed out - Similar Threads - file encryption option

2. Option to Encrypt file's is greyed out-Windows 11 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Option to Encrypt file's is greyed out-Windows 11 home: Hello all,I am trying to encrypt some files, but the option to do so is grayed out in the properties menu see pic. I looked for an answer here already, but saw only a thread regarding windows 10 home does not have-only offered on windows 10pro/11/11pro.Please help me, this is...
  3. Option to Encrypt file's is greyed out-Windows 11 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Option to Encrypt file's is greyed out-Windows 11 home: Hello all,I am trying to encrypt some files, but the option to do so is grayed out in the properties menu see pic. I looked for an answer here already, but saw only a thread regarding windows 10 home does not have-only offered on windows 10pro/11/11pro.Please help me, this is...
  4. speech option greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  5. speech option greyed out.

speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  6. encrypt button greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encrypt button greyed out: my encrypt button is greyed out, I have tried the options given in other people's answers but it doesnt work. please check what is wrong i cant encrypt any of my files...
  7. encrypt button greyed out

encrypt button greyed out: my encrypt button is greyed out, I have tried the options given in other people's answers but it doesnt work. please check what is wrong i cant encrypt any of my files...
  8. index option greyed out

in Cortana
    index option greyed out: index option greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/index-option-greyed-out/c5624f66-4b32-48b5-b9d5-680c2c4165ce
  9. Encrypt files options is checked but greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypt files options is checked but greyed out: I had used bitlocked encrytion on my old device for some files . When I copied those files on External hard disk I cannot open them. I was able to find the BitLocker key but I don't know how to proceed...
  10. Encrypt Option for Files is Greyed Out.. Need Help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypt Option for Files is Greyed Out.. Need Help: I'm interested in encrypting my files. But when I try to, the encryption part is greyed out as shown in the screen shot. How to I fix this? And is this the best way to ensure encryption of files? [img] 149797