Windows 10: File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware

Discus and support File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I would like to know what happens if I encrypt a file or folder using the encryption option of windows 10 pro... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Juan946, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Juan946 Win User

File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware

I would like to know what happens if I encrypt a file or folder using the encryption option of windows 10 pro (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026312/windows-10-how-to-encrypt-a-file) and then the hard drive or computer is stolen or lost.

Are the files encrypted even if the hardware is stolen?

Are the names of the files and folders encrypted even if the hardware is stolen?

With what kind of encryption method are the files/folders protected (example: AES-256)

What is the recovery certificate "certificate thumbprint" (a file, code,...) how do I use it? May I copy it from some place ( ctrl+c ) or I need to copy it letter by letter from the "Properties>Advanced>details" window of the file?

What does it mean: "Folder is ready for archiving", "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to the file properties", which would be selected?

Any advice (for example pin length, guest accounts config, ... ) to improve security while using this feature of file/folder encryption in windows 10 (specially in the case of stolen hardware)?

Would I consider using VeraCrypt or similar software to encrypt certain folders or I should take advantage of this windows 10 pro feature?

:)

Juan946, Dec 10, 2018

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Dec 10, 2018
  3. Windows XP file encryption

My suggestion to you is to look into what kind of encryption the program used, and look for a way to break that type of encryption. Sorry I can't say a specific program for sure.

Hybrid_theory, Dec 10, 2018
  4. File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware

Stolen Windows 10 phone and the WDRT and SD card encryption

I recently had my Lumia 950 stolen whilst abroad. I have data roaming turn off, so the "Find My Phone" tool will more likely not work. Not too worried because device encryption was on and I have a PIN code to unlock it.

But I have a couple of questions...

1) I recently recovery a phone using the Windows Device Recovery Tool and notice a message saying "Checking lost or stolen status" (or similar words) before it rebuilt my phone. So how do I get my stolen phone onto the "stolen list" that WDRT uses?

2) Does device encryption in Windows Phone 10 also encrypt the internal SD card?

Rgrds,

Steve.

Steve Maytum, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware

1. File Encryption Windows 10 Pro in case of Stolen Hardware - Similar Threads - File Encryption Pro

2. Windows 11 Pro and SED Hardware Encryption Managed by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro and SED Hardware Encryption Managed by Bitlocker: Brand new Latitude 5540 laptop from Dell with OEM SED from SK hynix, OEM Windows 11 Pro image: Administrative System Information shows PCR7 Configuration show Binding Possible and Device Encryption Support shows that it Meets Prerequisites. Local Group Policy under Computer...
  3. Windows 11 Pro and SED Hardware Encryption Managed by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro and SED Hardware Encryption Managed by Bitlocker: Brand new Latitude 5540 laptop from Dell with OEM SED from SK hynix, OEM Windows 11 Pro image: Administrative System Information shows PCR7 Configuration show Binding Possible and Device Encryption Support shows that it Meets Prerequisites. Local Group Policy under Computer...
  4. Stolen Windows 10 PRO ESD licences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stolen Windows 10 PRO ESD licences: Recently bought 3 ESD licenses from an authorized reseller for my small business. They printed them out and put in a paper envelope, 2 weeks later I found out the envelope got stolen from my bag. I still have the keys they emailed them to me but I can't use them to activate...
  5. Stolen Windows 10 PRO ESD licences

Stolen Windows 10 PRO ESD licences: Recently bought 3 ESD licenses from an authorized reseller for my small business. They printed them out and put in a paper envelope, 2 weeks later I found out the envelope got stolen from my bag. I still have the keys they emailed them to me but I can't use them to activate...
  6. Stolen Windows 10 PRO ESD licences

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  8. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro: I've spent countless hours trying to enable hardware encryption when turning on Bitlocker on my Windows 10 Pro operating system drive: A Samsung 980 Pro. I've read everything I can find on the internet on this topic. I'm hoping someone here can help me get over the finishing...
  9. Enabling Bitlocker Hardware Encryption with Windows 10 Pro & Samsung 980 Pro

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Encryption feature in Windows 10 Pro for File protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encryption feature in Windows 10 Pro for File protection: Can we encrypt file and Folder PDF, Word, Excel in windows 10 professional? Regards , Viraj Dike. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encryption-feature-in-windows-10-pro-for-file/f8638c3d-a31c-48f4-a80c-415592607558