Windows 10: File encryption won't disable due to permission issues

Discus and support File encryption won't disable due to permission issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Okay, here's my situation: I have my 500gb 475gb in reality hard drive partitioned into an OS partition roughly 65gb and a storage partition that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KlingerJ85, Feb 12, 2020.

1. File encryption won't disable due to permission issues

Okay, here's my situation:

I have my 500gb 475gb in reality hard drive partitioned into an OS partition roughly 65gb and a storage partition that makes up the rest. I do this in case I have a situation like I'm about to explain.

So let's say my windows install somehow gets corrupted, which it did. In theory, I could just wipe the OS partition and not lose or have to re-obtain all of my files on the storage partition. So when this occurred recently I did just that, wiped the OS partition and had no issues with the install.

I can't say 100% that the files on the storage partition were encrypted directly after the install, I noticed after I had been setting things up for awhile. I can't even say for sure thatall of the files on that partition were encrypted when I noticed. But after messing around for hours in the permissions, installing certificates, and trying to find a possible BitLocker key which seems to be a red herring, I still have some encrypted files. I have been able to unlock/decrypt some of the files I know were encrypted after the install.

When I try to uncheck the "allow this file to be encrypted" checkbox in the advanced general properties, I get an error message that says: "An error occurred applying attributes to the file: [file_name] The specified file could not be decrypted. When I try to access one of the files I get some variation of an Access Denied error message and a reference to permissions. I only had 1 user account, set as administrator on the fresh install. I was able to find that the files seem to be "owned" by the local account from the previous install of windows. I was signed in using my microsoft account.

I tried giving permissions, which seemed to apply successfully, but no matter what object I give permission and/or ownership of the file to, I can't disable the encryption.

I don't believe I had BitLocker enable prior to the reinstall, I've only turned it on twice, ever, and both times I used the same password. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on but either way the password doesn't work.

Is there anyway to save these files???

:)

KlingerJ85, Feb 12, 2020

2. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Unable to view transferred files due to permissions issue

Hello,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows regarding accessing the backup files. We will help you.

How was the files backed up, using File history or Backup and Restore?

This issue might have occurred due to lack of permissions set to the drive/ folder.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to set provide permission of the folders to users and check if it helps.

Steps to give permissions to the drive:

• Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select
      Properties.

• Click on Security tab and under
      Group or user names
      click on Edit.

• Click on Add and type
      Everyone.

• Click on Check names and then click
      OK.

• Select Everyone and under
      Allow
      select Full control and click on
      Apply and Click Ok.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 12, 2020
  4. File encryption won't disable due to permission issues

Folder encryption

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• What is the user account type you are logged into? Is it an Administrator account or Local account?
    I would like to inform you that this issue might be occurring due to user account permission or file permission.

Please follow below steps to check the file permissions.

• Right click on any file and go to Properties.
    • In Properties click on Security tab.
    • In Security tab click on Edit.
    • In Edit go to Permission for System.
    • Refer to allow and deny section and give permission
    • Click on Apply.
    • After changing permission check whether you are able to encrypt the file.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

File encryption won't disable due to permission issues

1. File encryption won't disable due to permission issues - Similar Threads - File encryption won't

2. Cannot launch Minecraft Dungeons due to a permissions issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot launch Minecraft Dungeons due to a permissions issue?: This is the message I get.First thing i did was uninstall and reinstall. Still happeningSo i searched for solutions, found people saying to try and repair with dism and sfc. Didn't workFound some saying "just take control of the WindowsApps folder", it was on several things....
  3. File Encryption System issue - Disabled Encrypt contents to secure data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Encryption System issue - Disabled Encrypt contents to secure data: I had a system with Windows 10 pro and I had encrypted HDD in that system. Unfortunately I have to use that hard disk in another computer which runs Windows 11 home edition and I couldn't able to get access to the folders because of the file encryption system. Th option is...
  4. File Encryption System issue - Disabled Encrypt contents to secure data

File Encryption System issue - Disabled Encrypt contents to secure data: I had a system with Windows 10 pro and I had encrypted HDD in that system. Unfortunately I have to use that hard disk in another computer which runs Windows 11 home edition and I couldn't able to get access to the folders because of the file encryption system. Th option is...
  5. can't modify file due to lack of permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    can't modify file due to lack of permissions: I am admin on my home PC and since i upgraded to 10 i can't seem to do a lot of things. In some cases i have been able to go into the file's properties and allow myself permission but in others not. Why is this? And how can i just have full control over everything? I can't...
  6. Unable to execute file due to permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to execute file due to permissions: I signed in with an Administrator account in Windows 10 and I was trying to execute an exe file but I was unable to. So I tried to make changes to the security permission but it show a message that "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object" so I...
  7. Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue

Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue: I recently installed Phantasy Star Online 2 with Microsoft Store. The application has caused me permission issues for the second time involving this game. The issue both times has begun with when the I execute the game file, nothing happens at all. I approached the...
  8. File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive

File permission issues after moving files using Robocopy to a BitLocker encrypted drive: I am running into an odd file permissions problem. Here's what I did: Purchased new 4 TB SATA drive and installed it in my machine Tried using Casper Secure Drive Backup to do a sector copy from the old drive now relabeled M: to the new drive now labelled J: - the same...
  9. Encrypted file issues

Encrypted file issues: Hello, i recently upgraded my labtop computer from windows 7 to windows 10. i have followed all instruction while upgrading and i can no longer access my encrypted files and folders ( password protected) on my backup to copy them to the labtop! any help would be...
  10. Camera App won't launch due to privacy permissions

Camera App won't launch due to privacy permissions: Windows Camera App will not launch. Screen shows... We Need Your Permission To use this app, open Privacy settings, and change the settings to allow this app to use your camera and microphone. troubleshooting already attempted 1. ensure camera app has permission to...