Windows 10: File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

Discus and support File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Atom1, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Atom1 Win User

File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders [​IMG]

This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was the same in Win 7. They are not the same folder. It's confusing to have multiple public folders. Can I just delete Users\public?

Also note I have multiple Documents folders under PC name. How does this come about, and what can I do about it?

:)

Atom1, Nov 24, 2018

2. cannot find public documents folder in Windows 10

Good day,

On Windows Explorer in Windows 7, the 'Public Documents' folder is listed under 'Libraries\Documents'. The 'Public Documents' folder is not listed at all on the Navigation column in Windows 10.

Is there a way to configure in Windows 10 to show Public Documents folder in the navigation column?

Thank you.

ganwilliam, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders - Similar Threads - File exploer why

2. File Exploere

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Exploere: Can anybody give me some guidance.I was surprised when I found where File History was storing some of my files. So I looked in File Explorer which I have used forever, it has me now a little more confused but only since I had OneDrive installed.I am finding it difficult to...
  3. File Exploere

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Exploere: Can anybody give me some guidance.I was surprised when I found where File History was storing some of my files. So I looked in File Explorer which I have used forever, it has me now a little more confused but only since I had OneDrive installed.I am finding it difficult to...
  4. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple documents folders: I am so confused by the number of Documents folders on my computer. In the Users folder under my name are two, one that seems to have the files compressed, the other doesn't. Then under My PC is another Documents folder. I never know where things go when I am saving to...
  5. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple documents folders: I am so confused by the number of Documents folders on my computer. In the Users folder under my name are two, one that seems to have the files compressed, the other doesn't. Then under My PC is another Documents folder. I never know where things go when I am saving to...
  6. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Public documents folder changed with version 2004

Public documents folder changed with version 2004: Up till last week my Public\Documents folder was stored on D an HDD; C is a smaller SSD drive. With the update to 2004 this seems to have changed. If I now look under Libraries / Documents, the location is shown as C used to be D. I cannot change it. Properties does show...
  8. Some scanned documents not visible in Public folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Some scanned documents not visible in Public folders: Both my wife and I have administrator accounts on our PC. If my wife scans a document and saves the file in the Public Documents folder, both she and I can read it. If I scan a document and save the file in the Public Documents folder, only I can read it. I thought that all...
  9. Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder

Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder: My wife and I have administrator accounts on the same computer. I recently scanned a document and saved the scan in the Public Documents folder ( I have public folder sharing turned on). I can open the scanned document without a problem but when my wife tries to open it she...
  10. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663