Windows 10: File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

Discus and support File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Atom1, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Atom1 Win User

File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders [​IMG]

This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was the same in Win 7. They are not the same folder. It's confusing to have multiple public folders. Can I just delete Users\public?

Also note I have multiple Documents folders under PC name. How does this come about, and what can I do about it?

:)

Atom1, Nov 24, 2018

2. cannot find public documents folder in Windows 10

Good day,

On Windows Explorer in Windows 7, the 'Public Documents' folder is listed under 'Libraries\Documents'. The 'Public Documents' folder is not listed at all on the Navigation column in Windows 10.

Is there a way to configure in Windows 10 to show Public Documents folder in the navigation column?

Thank you.

ganwilliam, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders - Similar Threads - File exploer why

2. Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Applications From Using Public Documents and Public Desktop: I've been having trouble ever since performing a factory reset of my computer with applications automatically wanting to use the Public Documents and Public Desktop folders. For example, after installing Adobe CC applications, the "Adobe" folder is added to...
  3. Files and folders gone inside Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and folders gone inside Documents: I really don't know what happened. My folders in my documents are gone. I was pulling a repo using sourcetree then it got an error(saying something about it didn't got all the files needed). I just canceled that for a while and returned to unity(a different repository) but...
  4. Files and folders gone inisde Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and folders gone inisde Documents: I really don't know what happened. My folders in my documents are gone. I was pulling a repo using sourcetree then it got an error(saying something about it didn't got all the files needed). I just canceled that for a while and returned to unity(a different repository) but...
  5. Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder: My wife and I have administrator accounts on the same computer. I recently scanned a document and saved the scan in the Public Documents folder ( I have public folder sharing turned on). I can open the scanned document without a problem but when my wife tries to open it she...
  6. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663
  7. ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder

in Windows 10 Support
    ASR.dat file residing in Users/Public folder: Hi, everyone I have noticed that after the latest 15063.608 build a file named ASR.dat comes from time to time in my C:/Users/Public folder. After deleting it, it appears again in 3-4 days. The VirusTotal online checker says it is not a virus or malware, it's been not...
  8. Why 2 documents folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why 2 documents folders?: I am trying to figure out why I see 2 of many profile folders, such as documents, music, pics, videos. I tried deleting one, and it deletes the other. They are not duplicates, but I cannot figure out what purpose this is serving. Anyone? [img] 6061
  9. documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    documents folder: Paid a bill on line --tried to print---pop-up states it was put into the documents folder. Where is the documents folder located in win 10? P.S---All my questions have been answered quickly by the people in this forum. YOU ARE THE GREATEST,BAR NON. 12352
  10. documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    documents folder: I try to print out my bank statement but it goes into documents folder. How do I print out from the documents folder when win 10 puts it back? 17981