Windows 10: File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

Discus and support File Explore Search not working for finding files by content in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a directory that when I use the File Explorer search, it will not find files by its content even though I know that some files in the directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trut, Apr 29, 2020.

1. trut Win User

File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

I have a directory that when I use the File Explorer search, it will not find files by its content even though I know that some files in the directory or subdirectory do contain the given search string.

This is quite a common problem and I seem dozens of posted solutions, but none of them worked for me.

I've posted this as a question, since all the threads regarding the same symptom have their threads locked. I figured out the solution to my problem and I'm posting this question along with the solution that worked for me, just in case it benefits others who are experiencing the same problem and want another thing to try or look at. I don't claim this will fix all problems with this same symptom i.e. some people had their issued resolved by re-indexing, but I couldn't find any posts that offered this advice. So here goes!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The solution in my case involves better understanding in how the search for content works.

First thing you need to do is to verify that the folder you want to search has the setting "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is checked. You do that by right clicking on the directory of concern and selecting Properties. Then click on the "Advanced..." button, and you'll find that checkbox. I will say, it's not totally clear to me that this is actually required to be checked, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Be aware, this doesn't necessarily mean that the directory is going to be indexed, but rather that its content is just allowed to be indexed. For the directory to be actually indexed, you have to add that directory to the indexer as a directory that you want indexed. I'll cover that later. My understanding is that indexing only makes the search process faster, and that non-indexed directories just take a bit longer to search. I've read, but don't know for sure, that in Windows 7, the directory needed to be indexed in order to search for content. In later versions this clearly isn't the ase

If the directory you are searching is non-indexed you need to verify that the search options are configured to allow content to be search for non-indexed directories. To do that, click on the "View" tab of the File Explorer and click on the dropdown entitled "Options" and select the menu item "Change folder and search options". That'll bring up the "Folder Option" window. Click on the "Search" tab and verify that "Always search file names and contents" is checked. If not, go ahead and check it. This is the default behavior you get when searching non-indexed directories. When done, click "OK". By the way, most people leave the "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files" unchecked. That's up to you whether you want to change that option.

The next thing you'll want to do is make sure that a given search did search the content. To do this, you actually have to do a search first. So go ahead and do some search. When you do the search, the File Xxplorer will now have a "Search" tab available. That tab is only available when searching is active, and that tab goes away when you either "Close search" or navigate away from the search results page. In the "Search" tab, click on the "Advanced options" dropdown. Verify that "File contents" is checked. This let's you know whether the search performed included a file content search if the directory or any of its subfolders were non-indexed directories. Please note, that subfolders are searched if the "All subfolder" is selected. Subfolders will not be searched if you have "Current folder" selected.

So you verify all these things, and you still are convinced that the file content is not being searched. That was the case for me, so what else could be going wrong!!!!!

Let's go to the "Advanced options" dropdown menu again, but this time let's click on "Change index options". This will bring up the "Index Options" control panel window. By the way, you can also get there by typing "Indexing options" in the Cortana search area.

This window let you know which directories are included to be indexed, along with any subfolders that are excluded from being indexed. If you want to add additional directories to be indexed, you can click on "Modify" and add those directories. But remember this, indexing a directory does not affect the ability for a nonindexed directory to perform a content search. The ability of whether a nonindexed directory has its content also search depends on the settings that I previously discussed. Indexing a directory only means that the contents in the indexed directory will perform the search faster.

We now get to where my problem occurs. In the "Indexing Options" window click on the "Advanced" button. Then click on the "File Types" tab. You'll get a list of file types that you can decide whether the given file type is included in file search and whether its file properties are indexed or both it file properties and content are indexed. File properties are such things as name, creation date, last modified date, size, owner, etc. Content means that the words within the file are also indexed.

Here's the first gotcha: If you have a file with a file type extension that is not in this list, they are excluded from the search. If you have that problem, the solution is simple, add that new extension to the list.

That was my problem. I had some files that had the extension name ".cnf" and ".conf" which are simply text configuration files. Both of them were missing from the "File Types" tab. I actually discovered this problem early on, and added them, but the search still didn't work. So what did I do wrong?

Here's the second gotcha: The default value when you get when you add a new file type is "Index Properties Only". If you're not too observant, you'll miss that. What I didn't realize at the time was that the "Index Properties Only" and "Index Properties and File Contents" was associated with the currently selected extension type. It's all perfectly clear now, but at that time I missed understanding that association.

Once I changed the newly added file type to index both properties and content, the searching worked as expected. I've seen lot of conversation from people with this same problem say that their search worked for some time, and then it stopped working. Well this might be a possible explanation of why someone might observe that symptom.

---------------------------------------------------------------

After thoughts:

So is this a bug? Yes, No, Maybe. Once I understood what was happening, I was able to easily correct the problem. It works as coded and designed. But when we step back and look at the larger issue, it's easy for someone to have this issue, and not know why it's happening. I can think to two things that Microsoft should consider assuming that they ever look at problems submitted to the Microsoft Community - which they should be if they're proactive.

1. the queueing that the "Index Properties Only" and "Index Properties and File Content" is associated with the currently selected file type is not obvious for a first time user of the "Advanced Options". It would be more apparent if each file type had two check boxes. One for "Properties Only" and one for "Properties and File Content". If neither are checked, files with that extension are excluded. That would eliminate the miss queueing issue.

2. the search result should include a button, that the user could click on that would let them know what files where excluded in the search. How does Microsoft expect a user to know which file types the file search knows about.

Hope this helps you better understand File Explorer content search.

:)

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Apr 29, 2020
  4. File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

Search contents of files with dynamic extensions

Thanks Axe0. However, that option is already checked. That option only tells explorer how to search in unindexed locations. Since the location I'm searching is indexed, then explorer looks at file contents by default. Unfortunately, it only looks at file contents of file types you tell it to look at, and since I have all these dynamic file types (i.e. extensions) it gets confused. For what it's worth, I can find files by contents in those same folders if they are other file types (.bak for example), so I know the functionality is working. It's just the inability to search contents of file types I can't explicitly specify that's muddying up the waters, so to speak.

mikelee101, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

1. File Explore Search not working for finding files by content - Similar Threads - File Explore Search

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Cortana
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer Content Search Not Working: I frequently need to import a folder hierarchy into Windows 10 then do a content search on the files in it.I then place the top level folder within File Explorer Indexing Options Included locations.The files within the top level folder all respond to a content search but none...
  6. File content search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File content search not working: Hello, file content search is not working, I have many MS Word documents, all of them have unique code in it, trying to find files using that code, but it is not working anymore, that started like 1 week ago. System is Windows 10, 21H2. Tried rebuilding search indexing, but...
  7. File content search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File content search not working: Hello, file content search is not working, I have many MS Word documents, all of them have unique code in it, trying to find files using that code, but it is not working anymore, that started like 1 week ago. System is Windows 10, 21H2. Tried rebuilding search indexing, but...
  8. File content search not working

in Cortana
  9. File Explorer Search for File Content

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search for File Content: I wanted to share this information with others because I have not seen it provided. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and I found that when I did a file search in file explorer, I could not find files based on a search of a word in the text of the file's content. I...
  10. File Explorer doesn't search on file contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer doesn't search on file contents: I can't get File Explorer to search on file contents using Windows 10 Pro. I have checked all the search settings I am aware of without success....