Windows 10: FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

Discus and support FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi - hope someone can help. I was unable to get most of my photos to open and now I'm having the same problem with all files. The files I had named,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KaK5006, Sep 20, 2020.

1. KaK5006 Win User

FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

Hi - hope someone can help. I was unable to get most of my photos to open and now I'm having the same problem with all files. The files I had named, such as,APPLE PIE, now reads ._APPLE PIE. In Photos, the icons and names of these files is usually faded and a message says they don't use that format. I've tried to rename the file correctly and it has only worked on occasion. The issue seems to have a problem with .jpeg and pdf files. If I knew where the problem came from, it might be easier to correct it. Thanks for any help. KaK5006

:)

KaK5006, Sep 20, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 20, 2020
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

The Elder Geek

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Sep 20, 2020
  4. FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES

1. FILE EXPLORER ADDS SYMBOLS TO FILE NAMES - Similar Threads - FILE EXPLORER ADDS

2. Previewing Files in Windows Explorer 11 When # Symbol is in the File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Previewing Files in Windows Explorer 11 When # Symbol is in the File Name: I upgraded to Windows 11 which will no longer allow you to preview files in Windows Explorer if the file name contains the # sign. A message pops up:File not foundIt may have been moved, edited, or deleted.ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDWhen you remove the # symbol, the preview appears....
  3. Previewing Files in Windows Explorer 11 When # Symbol is in the File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Previewing Files in Windows Explorer 11 When # Symbol is in the File Name: I upgraded to Windows 11 which will no longer allow you to preview files in Windows Explorer if the file name contains the # sign. A message pops up:File not foundIt may have been moved, edited, or deleted.ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDWhen you remove the # symbol, the preview appears....
  4. The File Explorer > symbol ... where are you?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The File Explorer > symbol ... where are you?: Why doesn't the ">" symbol appear in my new HP laptop's File Explorer, Windows 10 Home in S mode? On my old laptop's File Manager, the > symbol appeared to the left of folders that have subfolders. I'd click on the > symbol and see the subfolders appear. Also the > symbol...
  5. Files and folders names in explorer

Files and folders names in explorer: Letters in the name of files or folders in explorer are separated. For example, look at the screenshots:[ATTACH][ATTACH] As you can see, the name is written as a single word, but, when i save it, it separates. How to solve this problem? I have the latest Windows 10 2004...
  6. AEQHCNB file name in explorer

AEQHCNB file name in explorer: Explorer is showing folders with the AEQHCNB added to the file name, any way of turning this feature off? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aeqhcnb-file-name-in-explorer/056ccd54-0994-46da-9070-0ee6ab1a83c9
  7. Searching for files names containing symbols

in Cortana
    Searching for files names containing symbols: I have a folder containing files which I named with = in the name e.g. "Richmond Division====". They have anything from 1-6 ='s in the name. I want to be able to search for these files, say all the files with four ='s. When I try it comes up with no results. Is there a way...
  8. Name in File Explorer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Name in File Explorer: Since doing a clean install, my name in File Explorer/Users has changed. It is neither my first nor second name, just the first 5 letters/numbers of my Microsoft login name. It used to show my surname in Windows 7. Is is it possible to change it, please? 24628
  9. add file explorer to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    add file explorer to taskbar: I am new to this forum. I have a custom computer, ECS A780GM-A motherboard, 6 GB of ram AMD CPU, 2.6 GHz tricore. I am currently upgraded to Windows 10 and learning my way around it. My question is can I add file explorer to the task bar and if so how do I go about doing it?...
  10. File explorer chinese files names and phantom files.

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer chinese files names and phantom files.: When I launch file explorer and get the home view, it is showing a bunch of filenames in Chinese characters (see attached screenshot) which it says are in the desktop folder. However there are no such files when I look at the desktop folder. WTF? I just ran MalwareBytes and...